Althrocin 500 MG Tablet
As a macrolide antibiotic, Althrocin 500 MG Tablet is used to treat a number of bacterial infections. This includes skin infections, respiratory tract infections, chlamydia infections, syphilis and pelvic inflammatory disease. It is also used in conjunction with neomycin for decontaminating the bowel and in the treatment of gastroparesis.
Streptococcal infection in newborns can be prevented by taking this medication during pregnancy. It may also be used to improve delayed stomach emptying. This medicine is not supposed to be given to a child without a doctor's advice.
To be specific Althrocin 500 MG Tablet is prescribed for the treatment of susceptible bacterial infections including S. pyogenes, some S. pneumoniae, some S. aureus, M. pneumoniae, Legionella pneumophila, diphtheria, pertussis, chancroid, Chlamydia, erythrasma, N. gonorrhoeae, E. histolytica, syphilis and nongonococcal urethritis, and Campylobacter gastroenteritis.
Althrocin 500 MG Tablet also has a few side effects. Common side effects include diarrhoea, vomiting and abdominal cramps. More serious side effects may include liver problems, allergic reactions and prolonged QT. To make sure this medication is safe for you, tell your physician if you have the following:
- Kidney or liver disease.
- Myasthenia gravis
- Electrolytic imbalance (such as low potassium or magnesium levels in your blood)
- A history of Long QT syndrome
- Breastfeeding a baby
- Taking medicines for a heart rhythm disorder.
This medication usually is taken every 6 hours (four times a day), every 8 hours (three times a day), or every 12 hours (twice a day). Skipping doses should be avoided as it may increase your risk of further infection which is resistant to antibiotics.
Your doctor may have to change your treatment plan if you use drugs such as cisapride, pimozide, ergotamine or dihydroergotamine as these drugs interfere with the proper functioning Althrocin 500 MG Tablet.
Severe Liver Impairment
How long is the duration of effect?The effect of this medication lasts for an average duration of 4 to 6 hours.
What is the onset of action?The peak effect of this tablet can be observed within 3 hours of oral administration.
Are there any pregnancy warnings?Women who are pregnant should consult doctor before using this medication.
Is it habit forming?No habit forming tendency has been reported.
Are there any breast-feeding warnings?Breastfeeding women must consult doctor before using this tablet.
Is It safe with alcohol?Consumption of alcohol is unsafe along with this medicine.
Is it safe to drive while on this medicine?This medicine usually does not affects the patient ability to drive.
Does this affect kidney function?This medicine is found to be safe when given to patients with kidney disease. Adjustment of dose is not needed. kindly consult your doctor for any other information.
Does this affect liver function?Caution must be taken in patients with liver disease. Adjustment of dose might be needed. Kindly consult your doctor before taking this medicine.
Below is the list of medicines, which have the same composition, strength and form as Althrocin 500 MG Tablet , and hence can be used as its substitute.
Are there any missed dose instructions?The missed dose can be taken as soon as you remember. However, the missed dose should be skipped if it is almost time for your next dose.
Are there any overdose instructions?Contact the doctor in case of an overdose.
It is a macrolide antimicrobial that works by passively diffusing through cell membranes and reversibly binding to the 50S subunit of the bacterial ribosome. This prevents protein synthesis in the bacterial cells which can either stop their growth or cause death.
Whenever you take more than one medicine, or mix it with certain foods or beverages, you"re at risk of a drug interaction.
Interaction with Lab Test
Interaction with Medicine
- CYP3A3/4 enzyme substrate; CYP1A2 and 3A3/4 enzyme inhibitor.
- Protease inhibitor like amprenavir and ritonavir may increase erythromycin's serum concentration.
- Althrocin 500 MG Tablet decreases clearance of carbamazepine, cyclosporine, and triazolam, alfentanil, bromocriptine, digoxin (~10% of patients), disopyramide, ergot alkaloids, methylprednisolone; may decrease clearance of protease inhibitors.
- Althrocin 500 MG Tablet may decrease theophylline clearance and increase theophylline's half-life by up to 60% (patients on high-dose theophylline and Althrocin 500 MG Tablet or who have received Althrocin 500 MG Tablet for >5 days may be at higher risk).
- Decreases metabolism of terfenadine, cisapride, and astemizole resulting in an increase in Q-T interval and potential heart failure.
- Inhibits felodipine (and other dihydropyridine calcium antagonist) metabolism in the liver resulting in a twofold increase in levels and consequent toxicity.
- Death has been reported by potentiation of pimozide's cardiotoxicity when given concurrently with Althrocin 500 MG Tablet. Use contraindicated.
- May potentiate the anticoagulant effect of warfarin and decrease the metabolism of vinblastine.
- Concurrent use of Althrocin 500 MG Tablet and lovastatin and simvastatin may result in significantly increased levels and rhabdomyolysis
Interaction with Disease
Interaction with Food
Ques: What is Althrocin 500 MG Tablet?
Ques: What are the uses of Althrocin 500 MG Tablet?
Ques: What are the Side Effects of Althrocin 500 MG Tablet?
Ques: What are the instructions for storage and disposal Althrocin 500 MG Tablet?
Ques: How long do I need to use Althrocin 500 MG Tablet before I see improvement of my conditions?
Ques: What are the contraindications to Althrocin 500 MG Tablet?
Ques: Is Althrocin 500 MG Tablet safe to use when pregnant?
Ques: Will Althrocin 500 MG Tablet be more effective if taken in more than the recommended dose?
Erythromycin- Drug Information Portal [Internet]. druginfo.nlm.nih.gov. 2019 [Cited 16 May 2019]. Available from:https://druginfo.nlm.nih.gov/drugportal/name/erythromycin
Erythromycin- DrugBank [Internet]. Drugbank.ca. 2019 [Cited 16 May 2019]. Available from:https://www.drugbank.ca/drugs/DB00199
Erythrocin 500 Tablets- EMC [Internet]. www.medicines.org.uk. 2018 [Cited 16 May 2019]. Available from:https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/product/404/smpc
Lybrate is a medium to provide our audience with the common information on medicines and does not guarantee its accuracy or exhaustiveness. Even if there is no mention of a warning for any drug or combination, it never means that we are claiming that the drug or combination is safe for consumption without any proper consultation with an expert.
Lybrate does not take responsibility for any aspect of medicines or treatments. If you have any doubts about your medication, we strongly recommend you to see a doctor immediately.