Doctor in Navjivan Hospital
Caesarean Section Procedure
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Termination Of Pregnancy Procedure
Treatment Of Pregnancy Problems
Well Woman Healthcheck
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Treatment Of Medical Diseases In Pregnancy
Treatment Of Menstrual Problems
Intra-Uterine Insemination (IUI) Treatment
Medical Termination Of Pregnancy (Mtp) Procedure
Gynecology Laparoscopy Procedures
Pap Smear Procedure
Urinary Incontinence (Ui) Treatment
Submit a review for Navjivan HospitalYour feedback matters!
Me and my husband had unprotected sex. I took unwanted 72 last month .can I take unwanted 72 this month also ?is it safe or harmful for further pregnancy?
Hi sir we are newly married couple. And try to conceive pregnancy but after intercourse sperm come out from vagina. please tell me the solution.
With any fertility treatment, a failure is possible due to several reasons. Most couples are having a problem while conceiving a baby and seek various fertility treatments with hope. When things happen otherwise, and the treatment fails, they miserably suffer.
What is IVF?
IVF or In Vitro Fertilization is a fertility treatment where eggs are removed from the woman’s ovary and fertilized with retrieved sperms in a laboratory dish. The embryo is then transferred to the woman’s uterus. The treatment is said to have a success rate of 40 percent; which means that it can fail in 60 percent cases.
So, why does the treatment fail?
Can it possibly fail ?
Though the success of IVF depends on certain predominant factors like age and overall health, there are two common reasons behind a failure of IVF, and they are:
An abnormal embryo- The most prevalent reason for a failed IVF is an abnormal or incompetent embryo. In most cases, this is due to an irregular number of chromosomes (aneuploidy) in the embryo. This might be because of an abnormal egg or abnormal sperm or when both gametes are abnormal.
Implantation failure- An underlying implantation dysfunction may prevent the embryo from attaching to the lining of the uterus. When the thickness of the endometrium is thin (less than 9 mm) at the time of progesterone administration, the implantation may fail. Implantation may fail due to surface lesions in the uterine cavity (due to scarring, polyps, or uterine fibroids) as well.
Other reasons are poor ovarian response and pre-treatment stress.
Make IVF a success with Ayurveda
Ayurveda, the ancient system of healing, appropriately prepares you well-ahead of an IVF treatment. The three key aspects of this treatment are – Detoxification, Nourishment, and Lifestyle changes.
The success of IVF is largely dependent on healthy eggs and sperms and a proper implantation of the embryo. Thus, as the first step, Ayurveda suggests that the couple are to be cleansed with Pancha Karma treatment before conception. Known as Beejshuddhi and Sthanshuddhi, the detoxification procedure purifies ovum, sperms, and uterus.
Along with these, other Pancha Karma procedures like Basti, Uttarbasti, Yoniprakshalana, Vamana, and Virechana are performed to improve the health of reproductive organs. Shirodhara helps in reducing the stress levels of the couple.
Diet is an inherent component of Ayurveda treatment. Hence, a diet that increases fertility is advised to the couple. The couple is advised to stay away from certain foods as well.
The fertility diet includes fresh and organic fruits and vegetables, whole grains, dairy proteins, Moong dal, soaked almonds and walnuts, dried fruits like figs, dates, and raisins, ajwain seeds, cumin seeds, and turmeric.
You should refrain yourself from spicy and salty foods and that containing artificial sweeteners, high-fat food, caffeine, alcohol, and excessive meat. Apart from the diet, certain Ayurvedic herbs are prescribed that strengthens the reproductive organs and improve immunity.
Infertility has become one of the lifestyle diseases. Ayurveda insists that healthy lifestyle is essential to conceive a baby. According to your body constitution, an Ayurvedic expert can guide you to make lifestyle modifications with Dinacharya and Rutucharya. Also, you must ensure adequate sleep and practice yoga (Surya Namaskar, Sarvangasana, Dhanurasana, Shalabasana, and Pranayama) regularly.
When IVF treatment is failing frequently, you tend to lose hope. However, with Ayurveda, there is definitely hope for success in conception.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
Pulmonary diseases are some of the most commonly experienced health conditions all over the world. Millions of people suffer due to various causes including genetics, smoking, pollutants and infection. Now lungs are one of the most important and complex organs of the body. They are the apparatus through which oxygen enters and carbon dioxide gets expelled.
Lungs expand and contract on a constant basis to ensure that we can breathe properly. Let us find out more about lung or pulmonary diseases.
- Asthma: This is one of the most common and potentially fatal conditions that affect children and adults. It grips the airways formed by the bronchi which branch off into smaller tubes from the main trachea that holds them. This condition causes inflammation, and even spasms, which can lead to wheezing and breathlessness. The main triggers of asthma attacks include allergies, infections and pollutants that may escape into the airways.
- COPD: This is also known as Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disorder. It is an umbrella term used for various lung conditions that cause breathing difficulties due to an obstruction of the airways. Chronic bronchitis is one of the conditions that falls under COPD, and is usually characterised by persistent, hacking coughs.
- Cystic Fibrosis: This is another condition that affects the airways by causing poor passage of mucus from the bronchial tubes. This condition is a genetic one where the mucus that gathers eventually becomes a lung infection.
- Pneumonia: This is a condition that causes an infection in the alveoli, which are the tiny tubes that the airways branch into. These are air sacs that can catch myriad infections like pneumonia.
- Tuberculosis: This is also a kind of pneumonia, which is caused by bacteria called Mycobacterium Tuberculosis. This condition usually attacks the air sacs of the lungs and can be a potentially fatal disease if it is not treated on time. The patient will require immediate hospitalisation.
- Pulmonary Edema: This condition is caused by fluid leaks from the tiny blood vessels into the surrounding air sacs within the lungs. It can also be caused due to heart failure as well as back pressure which falls on the lungs. Direct injury to the lungs can also lead to this condition.
- Lung Cancer: This is a fatal disease which can be found in any part of the lungs. It has many forms and the type as well as the location usually determines the kind of treatment option that will be followed.
- Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome: When the lungs suffer a sudden injury which is usually caused by a bout of serious illness, it is called ARDS. Treatment involves the use of life support ventilation.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
Irregularity in the menstrual cycle is one of the most common issues to be fixed since the hormones responsible for the menstrual cycle is affected by several factors and systems of the body. According to a report published in the Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism in 2011, it came to the fore that frequent missing of periods over an extended period is a common problem affecting over 5 percent of women at any given time. But what’s more important is that most women suffer from irregular periods all through the reproductive span of their life.
LH (Luteinizing Hormone) and FSH (Follicle Stimulating Hormone) produced by pituitary gland stimulate the ovaries to produce estrogen and progesterone and will cause the release of the egg. When there are fluctuations in LH, FSH, estrogen, and progesterone, the menstruation cycle gets irregular. For successful treatment of irregular periods, it is crucial to determine the cause. A few predominant causes of irregular periods are:
- High levels of stress: When you are stressed out for a long time, your body learns to save energy by stopping ovulation. If you experience a traumatic event or you undergo excessive day to day stress, it can suddenly cause the adrenals to work hard which can interrupt the production of estrogen, thyroid hormones, and other reproductive hormones. Restrictive eating and over-exercising can also lead to hypothalamic amenorrhea, a condition wherein the menstruation stops for several months altogether.
- Poor diet: If your daily diet lacks antioxidants, vitamins, protein, and minerals, then there could be an adverse effect on the thyroid levels and the adrenal glands. Fried and processed foods along with sugary items can raise the adrenal fatigue and cortisol which, in turn, hinders the functionality of other necessary hormones. If you are suffering from irregular periods, you should take foods rich in antioxidants, proteins, and antioxidants.
- Extreme loss of weight: When the body mass index or BMI reaches below 18, you will start missing your periods due to low body fat. Body fat is crucial for creating estrogen, and lack of this hormone also causes issues such as anorexia and bulimia. But it is important to note here that not all women suffering from irregular periods are underweight.
- Thyroid disorders: The fluctuations of thyroid hormones often cause an irregularity of periods. According to some experts, thyroid problems are one of the leading causes of irregular menstruation. Both hypothyroidism and hyperthyroidism can cause symptoms like alterations in cortisol and estrogen levels.
- Food allergies: If you are sensitive to gluten or have celiac disease which has remained undiagnosed, it can cast an impact on the hormone levels. As these conditions may cause nutrient deficiencies, it can affect the gut health and add stress to the adrenal glands. As a result, all these together disrupt the secretion of sex hormones and cause irregular menstruation.
Several treatments are available to treat the causes that would slowly bring back your menstruation cycle to normal.
Cholesterol is generally regarded as something bad for the health. As a part of diet, everyone tries to avoid anything that has cholesterol in it. What needs to be understood is that not all cholesterol is bad. There is also good cholesterol, which is actually very essential for body functions. This is required for the production of essential hormones. Inadequate amounts of good cholesterol can lead to problems ranging from simple hormonal imbalances to severe issues like infertility.
The following are some food items, which contain sufficient amounts of good cholesterol and should find a place in your plate. They are essential for various body functions including hormone formation.
Avocado oil: Most oil is considered bad, but avocado oil contains about 70% of good cholesterol and should be used for its heart-healthy benefits. Being a great antioxidant, it protects the heart by reducing inflammation and by improving blood pressure. Eating whole avocado is also beneficial for the heart and the body as a whole.
Buckwheat: This whole grain is rich in many vitamins, quite a few minerals, and is a good provider of dietary fiber. It is also gluten-free and is rich in antioxidants, making it extremely cardio-friendly.
Soy: Too much saturated fat in the diet cannot be digested and the liver converts these and stores it, which adds to obesity. Soy which is a good replacement for animal fat and even dairy products can help improve cholesterol levels and prevent fat accumulation.
Salmon: This is one of the most heart-friendly food items, which is loaded with omega-3 fatty acids and good cholesterol. It lowers triglyceride levels and provides a good amount of protein for the body.
Spinach: The cholesterol which settles against the blood vessels is washed off by consuming spinach – in regular quantities at regular intervals. It is also the richest source of lutein, which is known as guardian against aging diseases including hypertension.
Go the nutty way: While most would consider nuts as rich in oils, truth is they are loaded with good cholesterol. Therefore, whether it is almonds or pecans, ground nuts or walnuts, nuts are great for the heart. They are also rich in minerals including calcium, copper, magnesium, and potassium and contain various vitamins. So about a teaspoon of chopped nuts should be on your plate on any given day.
- Dark chocolate: Again, like nuts, most of us tend to avoid chocolate, but these restrictions are only for the white ones with sugar. The dark one is extremely healthy for the heart with loaded antioxidants, which prevents clogging of arteries. It is also rich in flavonoids, which are useful in controlling blood pressure and other heart diseases.
Elderly people are usually prone to social isolation which can take a toll on their health. With physical inability or limitations to move around, socializing also gets limited and loneliness comes into your life. Thus, a major section of the senior population tends to have psychological issues as well which may be caused due to the loss of company and lesser interaction as well as a generation gap in trying to deal with younger people. If you are finding it hard to cope with loneliness, here are a few initiatives worth giving a try:
Meet New People: Try giving an effort into meeting new people and enjoying their companionship. With time, few of these relationships might culminate into deep friendship. You can always turn to these people for emotional support as well as keeping company.
Community Volunteering: Volunteer your time engaging yourself in local community activities and social events. Also try and get into interest groups where you can find people who have common interests as yours.
Get back to your long lost hobbies: Re-kindle your long-lost zeal by adopting or getting back to hobbies you truly love, for instance, art and craft, gardening, sewing, playing an instrument, reading and writing, puzzles and writing to pen pals.
Get a pet: Pets can add a new meaning to your life through their unconditional love. There is no greater joy than the joy of bringing up a pet. Ensure how don’t have allergy problems and will be able to keep up with the readily requirements of pets.
Reminisce your good old days: Recollection would enhance your emotional health and will less likely make you feel withdrawn.
Invite people over: In case you are home-bound, coming across people each day would be difficult. In that case invite your mates over tea or keep in touch with them through phone or internet. The internet is also a great resource to keep yourself occupied and to find hobbies that you can get into.
Keep depression at bay: Loneliness can often make you fall prey to depression. Keep a check on any sign of physical or mental deterioration such as the feeling of despair and sadness, sleep-troubles, suicidal thoughts, unwillingness to take decisions, apathy and appetite loss.
Help others: Use your acquired experiences and knowledge of your life-time in helping people out. Teach as well as learn something new each day.
Write it down: Maintain a personal journal to pen down the things you are looking forward to or devise a plan for the forthcoming week.
Take initiative: Do not wait for others to call on you. Instead travel by yourself to visit them. Seize every chance to initiate a conversation and smile even if life seems hard so that people are automatically attracted to you.
In medical terms, the pelvic floor refers to a group of muscles in the pelvic area. These muscles provide support to the organs in the pelvic region, including the bladder, uterus (women), prostate (men), and rectum.
What is pelvic floor dysfunction?
This is a medical condition that is used to refer to a situation when you are unable to control the functioning of the pelvic floor. It means you fail to control the bowel movement. People suffering from pelvic floor dysfunction use these muscles to contract rather than to relax. It is for this reason that they cannot have a bowel movement. They often have an incomplete one.
What causes pelvic floor dysfunction?
In most of the cases, the exact reason behind this dysfunction is unknown. It is often believed that this condition is caused due to traumatic injuries to the pelvic area. This can happen after an accident and due to complications aroused after vaginal childbirth.
What are the symptoms?
There are several symptoms that are linked to this medical condition. You must visit your doctor if you come across the following signs:
- The feel of having several bowel movements within a short period of time.
- If you feel that you cannot complete a bowel movement.
- When there is constipation pain linked with bowel movements.
- A frequent urge to urinate.
- Painful urination.
- Pain in lower back.
- Continuous pain in pelvic region, genitals, or rectum.
- Pain during intercourse in women
How is pelvic floor dysfunction diagnosed?
It may be diagnosed through a physical examination by the doctor. You will ask several questions to know the case history and find out the cause. You may also be asked to take pelvic muscle control test by placing surface electrodes on the perineum or sacrum. A small device called a perineometer is also used for the same.
What are the best ways for treating pelvic floor dysfunction?
It can be treated without surgery. There are several techniques. Some of these are as follows:
- Biofeedback: It is done with the help of a physical therapist.He uses special sensors to watch and monitor the muscles.
- Medication: A low-dose muscle relaxant is prescribed to treat the same.
- Relaxation techniques: Your therapist may ask you to take up techniques for relaxation such as warm baths, yoga, and exercises.
- Surgery: If your physician finds out that the dysfunction is caused by a rectal prolapse or rectocele, he or she will take up surgery.
Pelvic Floor Dysfunction results in Urinary Dysfunction. Urinary incontinence is the unintentional passing of urine. It's a common problem thought to affect millions of people. There are several types of urinary incontinence, including:
- Stress Incontinence – when urine leaks out at times when your bladder is under pressure; for example, when you cough or laugh
- Urge Incontinence – when urine leaks as you feel a sudden, intense urge to pass urine, or soon afterwards
- Overflow Incontinence (chronic urinary retention) – when you're unable to fully empty your bladder, which causes frequent leaking
- Total Incontinence – when your bladder can't store any urine at all, which causes you to pass urine constantly or have frequent leaking
It's also possible to have a mixture of both stress and urge urinary incontinence.
Pelvic Organ Prolapse
Pelvic organ prolapse is a condition in which structures such as the uterus, rectum, bladder, urethra, small bowel, or the vagina itself may begin to prolapse, or fall, out of their normal positions. Without medical treatment or surgery, these structures may eventually fall farther into the vagina or even through the vaginal opening if their supports weaken enough.
Your fantasies might have taken a backseat for the time being or might have remained silenced for more than a while. The other processes of your usual life go on perfectly except for a few changes that you either consider as minute or you attribute them to any cause other than lowered libido (interest in sex).
Loss of libido can create hurdles in a man as well as a woman's life and thus should be corrected at the earliest possible. Even if you don't care much about an impaired sex life, libido loss can affect your overall health that can prove to be harmful in the long run.
Some may say that it’s all in the mind. Yes, but to a certain extent only. Considering the following causes, you would agree that it is not always in the mind that one loses interest in sex.
The common causes of decreased libido can be listed as below:
While in males, testosterone levels may sharply drop due to aging, in females the estrogen levels may drop after surgeries pertaining to the vaginal tract, after menopause or after childbirth and subsequent breast- feeding.
Exhaustion from prolonged office work or extensive travelling.
An instance of sexual abuse in the past can result in lowered libido.
A lousy lifestyle where you either smoke or drink regularly can prevent you from experiencing sexual desires.
Irregular sleep patterns can be a contributing factor as well.
Ways to deal with your libido loss:
Make significant efforts to change your lifestyle. If you have an erratic lifestyle, sexual dysfunction is almost inevitable. You need to follow a routine to prohibit your libido from deterioration.
Meditate and/or workout daily. Indulge in brisk walk, jogging, yoga, light exercises, swimming, play games like, badminton, table tennis, squash, etc. Over a period of time, it can restore your interest in sexual activities.
Try and reduce the stress level from your life. Spend quality time together and with family. Take time out for a movie, an event, a long drive, or a vacation. Share your day’s activities with each other.
Eat lots of vegetables and fruits. Cut down on drinking and smoking and gradually give them up completely.
Take at least 8 hours of sleep so as to wake up latest by 6:00 in the morning.
A counseling by a good sexologist can help to a great extent in overcoming this problem. A major part of my treatment for libido loss consists of Counselling. Many of my patients are now happy to revive their sexual life through my treatment. One can consult me in private if they want to say goodbye to Loss of Libido.
Degenerative Disc disease or DDD is a degeneration of the intervertebral discs in your spine. It’s not a disease as such but a sign of ageing of your spine. We know that our vertebral column is made up of vertebrae and these are strung together, so to speak, using discs to allow movement. The discs play an extremely vital role in the functioning of the vertebral column by cushioning the vertebrae and stopping them rubbing together which will narrow the spinal canal and impinge on the nerves and blood vessels travelling down. As we get older, the hydration within the discs tends to go and you end up with a drier, thinner disc, which is what DDD is. The DDD can strike anywhere, like the neck region and is known as cervical DDD or lower back region, where is it known as lumbar DDD.
- Pain in the part of the spine where the degenerated disc is
- Radiating pain into the legs /arms
- Loss of balance
- Sciatica pain
- Difficulty walking
- Muscle stiffness
- Nerve damage
Since the condition is painful and the disc is inflamed, your doctor will prescribe you pain meds to bring the pain and inflammation under control.
- Spinal fusion surgery : In this surgery, two or more vertebrae in the vertebral column or back are fused or joined to treat DDD. This surgery helps to get rid of the bone and tissue that is narrowing the spinal canal and squeezing the spinal cord and nerves, thus reducing pain and improving function.
- A number of approaches can be tried though the aim is to stop the motion at a painful vertebral segment, which in turn decreases pain generating from here.
- One of them involves the surgeons forming a direct bony connection between the vertebrae surrounding the painful discs.
- Common techniques include fusion of vertebrae approached from the front or the back of the vertebral column.
- Sometimes surgeons decide to use intervertebral cages or metal screws to provide internal structural support while the bone fuses.
- The aim is to allow a scaffold on which the bone tissue can grow.
- Artificial disc replacement surgery: This surgery involves replacing the painful disc in the vertebral column spine with an artificial disc. This preserves the normal motion of the spine, unlike a fusion. Also, the risk of wear and tear of other vertebrae is limited in this surgical option for DDD and is beneficial in pain reduction
- Other changes that are required:
- Physical therapy is a very important part of treatment for DDD. This works by stretching and strengthening the appropriate muscles through exercise to help take the pressure off the disc. Also, physiotherapy will take away the inflammation from around the affected disc.
- Lifestyle changes like becoming more active, avoiding sitting for long and stopping smoking and drinking as both of these dry out your inter-vertebral disc, are highly recommended.
- Usually, pain recedes substantially in DDD sufferers in a couple of month’s time, but DDD is by no means an easy condition to live with. It causes irreversible changes in your lifestyle, movement and your daily activities.