The big question when trying to lose weight is – Should you or should you not skip breakfast? For years, dieticians and nutritionists have been saying that a morning meal is a great idea if you are aiming to lose a few extra kilos. However, several studies are now stating otherwise. Recent research suggests that people who eat a heavy breakfast to keep them going through the day are no more likely to lose weight than those who skip their morning meal.
This revelation has left many wondering whether they should start their day with a wholesome meal.
So what is the catch? Experienced dietician/nutritionists state what you eat and how many calories you are taking, matters. You cannot expect to slim down if you start your day with two cups of coffee and pancakes/muffins, or oily, greasy parathas served with chunks of butter. These are too high in calories and contain ‘bad fat’, enough reasons to prevent weight loss and put you at risk of diabetes and obesity.
Foods that Help You Lose Weight
When it comes to weight loss, foods that are filling, nutritious and low fat at the same time are the best for you. You may include the following in your breakfast to reduce belly fat–
• Eggs – A rich source of protein, eggs have been shown to reduce food intake throughout the day, increase fullness, thereby increasing weight loss
• Wheat Germ – Wheat germs are a good source of fibre. Using cereal germs as a topping for smoothies, oatmeal or a yoghurt bowl reduces appetite, keeps your blood sugar levels in check, and prevents weight gain.
• Bananas – Bananas are fibre-rich fruit that keep you full for hours so you do not get frequent hunger pangs. These also serve as a good source of natural sugar. If you want to start your day with a healthy bowl of cornflakes and milk, you can cut a few slices of the fruit to add a sweet taste, instead of pouring teaspoons of sugar in it. Unripe bananas contain resistant starch, which may reduce food intake and is great for those who want to get rid of belly fat.
• Yoghurt – Delicious, creamy yoghurt is often associated with decreased food intake and hunger. One serving of Greek yoghurt delivers a significant amount of protein, making it an excellent addition to your weight loss diet. You can simply top a bowl of yoghurt with berries and grapefruits to make it look exotic!
• Smoothies – A glass of thick, concentrated smoothie is not only an easy and quick way to absorb the essential nutrients but also a convenient morning meal that helps accelerate weight loss. Filling your smoothie with low-calories fruits and veggies can boost fibre intake and keep you satiated for longer. You can also sprinkle some powdered flaxseeds and chia seeds on the top to maximize the benefits.
• Kiwis – The exotic fruit is packed with several nutrients – minerals and vitamins, including pectin, which helps reduce appetite and enhances weight loss. Add kiwis to your bowl of salad or eat them raw.
• Green tea – Green tea is known for its fat-burning and metabolism-boosting properties. Instead of sipping milk tea or coffee, drink green tea with your morning meal. Squeeze a few drops of lemon or add a tiny spoonful of honey to enhance the taste. Green tea works wonders in incinerating belly fat!
Breakfast is indeed the most important meal of the day. You should never skip breakfast if you are aiming for a slim and fit body. It provides you with energy to keep going, keeps your appetite in check, and boosts your overall health. Start your day with a scrumptious, filling serving of the healthy foods mentioned above and make sure you keep count of the calories you are consuming.
Related Updates: Replace your regular and boring breakfast with these Healthy Breakfast products for weight loss available on Lybrate. These items also help boosting your immunity.