With changing lifestyles and dietary patterns, obesity is on the rise, with a major focus on losing weight. This is not just from a cosmetic angle but also from a health point of view. Also, the age of onset of obesity is on the rise. Therefore, while there are definitely conventional weight loss therapies, Ayurveda also has assumed a significant role in reducing weight.
Ayurveda believes that health is the result of a balance between the three doshas Vata, pitta, and Kapha. Increase or decrease in either of them leads to specific diseases. The following are some remedies that are proven to be weight loss therapies.
- Garcinia cambogia: Also known locally as vriksh amla or Indian wild gooseberry, this is one of the main ingredients in weight loss therapy in Ayurveda. It is believed to inhibit fat accumulation, prevents the formation of visceral fat, and also alters the way the body synthesises fat. Given these three mechanisms, Garcninia is one of the most popular weight loss remedies in Ayurveda.
- Ginger: This is a very popular Indian spice, and is used both in dry and regular forms. This helps weight loss by regulating the metabolism of cholesterol to reduce the level of cholesterol in the body. It also reduces fat accumulation and controls oxidation of fatty acids. Taking ginger on an empty stomach helps in significant weight loss.
- Triphla: Triphala is another wonder product with multiple benefits. It is also useful in weight loss and has 3 potential ingredients – Amalaki, Bibhitaki, and Haritaki. Amalaki helps maintain a lean body mass, and Bibhitaki is proven to prevent fat accumulation in the body. This is one of the most commonly used herbs, and people who are taking it for other reasons would also see a weight loss.
- Guggul: Commiphora is a great and powerful fat burner. It helps lower total cholesterol and triglycerides. It also helps elevate levels of good cholesterol in the body.
- Licorice: Glycyrrhiza Glabra is another product that is useful in weight loss. It has flavonoids and phytochemicals which help reduce triglyceride levels in the blood and liver.
- Kotahla Himbutu: Salacia Reticulata is very useful in weight management, especially in diabetic patients. It helps significant control weight by suppressing fat accumulation and also improves resistance to insulin. There are people who are resistant to insulin and therefore become diabetic. Kotahla is very useful in these people.
- Kalonji: The root of this is useful in reducing body mass index and reducing waist-hip ratios.
- Cyperus rotundus: The root of this ayurvedic medicine acts as a fat burner and is given as the herbal remedy for patients desiring weight loss.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!