Lifestyle changes and unhealthy habits take a toll on one’s physical and mental health resulting in many diseases. One such disease that is growing common is the stroke that occurs due to a sudden interruption of blood supply to the brain. As with any lifestyle disease, the chances of having a stroke can be reduced as well. Knowing the risk factors and taking appropriate measures can prevent you from a stroke attack.
Read on to know the seven effective ways to prevent you from a stroke.
- Opt for a healthy lifestyle: While smoking leads to an increased risk of suffering from a stroke, excessive consumption of alcohol not only triggers irregular heartbeats, but also high blood pressure, which can be a solid reason behind having a stroke. Therefore, leading a healthy lifestyle free from smoking and alcohol can help in preventing strokes.
- Manage conditions: Whether it is diabetes or any other kind of illness which directly or indirectly give rise to the risk of having a stroke, dealing with one's underlying conditions is important. In case one is diagnosed with such a condition that can be responsible for a stroke, he or she must make it a point to keep that condition under control.
- Lose weight: Obesity is often known to increase the complexities associated with a stroke such as diabetes and high blood pressure. Therefore, for those who are overweight, losing a few pounds can be really helpful in preventing the chances of having a stroke.
- Keep blood pressure in check: High blood pressure often causes a stroke, if not controlled. It is referred to as the biggest contributor in causing a stroke by many. Lowering the high blood pressure or bringing it to normal levels can indeed be a great way of preventing a stroke.
- Exercise regularly: Exercise not only contributes to lowering the blood pressure, but also helps to maintain body weight while ensuring the overall fitness of the body. Some light hand exercises or regular walking combined with proper diet can do wonders in preventing a stroke.
- Have a proper sleep at night: Spending sleepless nights may increase the risk of stroke. Therefore, one must make it a point to maintain the necessary amount of sleep at night that can help in reducing stress and anxiety, while decreasing the chance of heart diseases as well as a stroke.
- Never ignore the palpitations: Ignoring the palpitations is the last thing one can want to do, if he or she is willing to prevent the chances of suffering a stroke. Feelings of lightheadedness or shortness of breath, chest pain and abnormal heart beats can be warning signs for a stroke. Therefore, you must pay proper attention to these and deal with appropriate medications.
An otherwise healthy person can stay away from stroke by continuing a healthy lifestyle and following the tips mentioned above. However, if you have suffered a stroke earlier, then it becomes imperative to follow these tips along with supervised medical care.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!