Application of oil on scalp, Siro pariseka or Siro dhara
- pouring oil over the scalp Siro pichu
- Putting a cloth soaked in oil over the head.
If your spinal cord or nerve roots become severely compressed as a result of cervical spondylosis, the damage can be permanent.
Homeopathic remedies for cervical spondylosis-
Ayurveda tips to treat Cervical Spondylosis (Osteoarthritis of Neck)
Cervical spondylosis is a common degenerative condition of the cervical spine which is caused by age-related changes in the cushion between the joints of the neck and the neck bone. It is also called as Osteoarthritis of neck. In this disease intervertebral disc which acts as a cushion between two vertebrae gets damaged due to age-related changes or other reasons. As disk degeneration occurs, movements of neck get restricted; also edges of vertebra get damaged & these changes increase pressure on nerves originating from cervical vertebrae. Due to this there are many symptoms found in this disease.
According to Ayurveda, this condition occurs due to Sandhigata vata of Neck. Vitiated vata dosha causes following symptoms.
Pain in the back of neck, shoulder and arms, stiffness of the neck and even paraplegia occur due to this condition. The movement of the spine generally aggravates the pain of the neck.
Pain along the arms and fingers while standing, sitting, coughing and tilting the neck backward, Problem in lifting the arm or grasping something firmly, Headaches which occur mostly at the back side of the head as well as Feeling dizziness or loss of body balance is often found as symptom in this disease.
Tips for treatment-
1. Avoid amla (Sour), kashay(pungent), highly acidic foods like red meat, citrus fruits and even white potatoes which increases vata dosha in body which further damages bones.
2. Avoid Constipation at all cost, it increases pain & stiffness of neck. Ayurveda uses anulomana medicines during treatment, which avoids constipation & also pacifies vata dosha. For that medicated castor oil, Rasna erandadi kashaya, Nimba amrutadi eranda taila, triphala is used according to condition & severity.
3. Cows ghee is best vata shamak & acts best in degenerative diseses, so snehapana (oleation therapy) should be done with medicated cow ghee like- Panchatikta ghrut, Mahatikta ghrut etc.
4. Also (Snehana-swedana) external application of medicated oil followed by steam relieves muscle spasm around neck & pain can be minimized.
5. Ayurvedic Basti/ Vasthi (medicated enema) has been described as best treatment for vata diseases. Ayurveda classics had mentioned Panchatikta kshir basti in treatment of osteoarthritis which is also found very beneficial in treatment of cervical spondylosis. 8 days treatment with such basti shows marked improvement in this disease.
6. Manya Basti or greeva basti can also be done for treatment of cervical spondylosis. In Manya Basti neck region is bathed in pool of medicated warm oil for 30 minutes.
8. Exposure to cold, cold baths and any violent exercise of the neck muscles are very bad for the patients.
9. Ayurvedic medicines like shallaki, Rasna, Guggulu (Commiphora mukul), Guduchi (Tinospora cordifolia), Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera), Shunthi (Ginger) as well as some rasa medicines like vata vidhvans rasa, bruhat vata chintamani rasa are best medicines for treating cervical spondylosis but these must be used with experts advice.
10. During study or office work your sitting posture should be straight, don’t lean too much while reading or during office work.
11. Sleep on a firm mattress that keeps your head level. The pillows should not bend the back more than 15 degrees. Avoid sleeping on your stomach as it extends the neck. It is ideal to sleep on your back or your side.
12. Yoga postures like Bhujangasana (Cobra pose), Matsyasana (Fish pose), Dhanurasana (Bow pose) are extremely beneficial for cervical spondylosis.
Cervical spondylosis is fast becoming the bane of modern life. An age-related wear and tear problem affecting the spinal discs in your neck, cervical spondylosis is increasingly affecting the young because of the use of cell phones, laptops and the like.
Cervical spondylosis is a general term used to define shrinkage of discs in between vertebrae in the neck region. Along with disc degeneration, bony projections also form in the area and are called bone spurs.
Other causes of cervical spondylosis are dehydrated discs. Discs are thick, pad-like cushions in between vertebrae that act as shock absorbers. They are made of a gel- like material that can dry over time. This causes the spinal vertebrae to rub together causing pain. The discs also crack which allows the internal gel-like material to spill out and impinge on spinal nerves causing symptoms.
There is a narrowing of the space required by the spinal cord and nerves that emanate in the upper spine to go to various parts of the body. Pinching of these nerves can cause alarming symptoms like
Treatment and management
Usually, cervical spondylosis doesn’t cause any symptoms. But when you start experiencing pain, stiffness and weakness of muscles, it’s best to go to a doctor who will diagnose the problem and then treat it.
Treatment for cervical spondylosis depends on the severity of your symptoms. Its goal is to get rid of pain, allow you to carry on your daily activities and prevent any permanent damage to your spinal cord and nerves.
Cervical spondylosis surgery typically involves removing:
1)Patient should be advised to sleep in supine position with small pillow.
2)Computer operators must be taught to do flexion, extension, and rotation once in every half an hour for two - three times
3)Bed rest is advised for 3 days.
4)A smooth massage js recommended.
5)Lumbar traction is more useful in clinical practice than cervical traction. (Cervical neck traction aggravates the problem)
6)While giving massage, pressure should not be given.
7)All other physiotherapies are not much useful
8)Keeping hand as pillows must be avoided.
9)It is better to use small pillows
10)Don't keep your hand under head while you are watching TV.
11)Use the towel slowly and carefully over the scalp once you finish bathing.
12)Reduce using two-wheelers like bike, etc.
13)Don't use cell phone while driving.
14)Took proper diagnosis by ONLY Ayurvedic doctors
How to Diagnose Cervical spondylosis?
1) careful history taking is very important
2) Examine the neck for any congenital deformity
3) A quick neurological examination can be easily done Always check grip strength, look for fasciculation and wasting to rule out cervical myelopathy
4) Always check Romberg's sign
5) Supinator jerk, knee-jerk, and plantar reflexes are to be done
6) We should rule out diabetes
7) X-Ray, MRI scan is useful to know cervical myelopathy and its grade confirms the diagnosis (not needed most of the times)
Ayurvedic Treatment in acute phase-
The acute herniated cervical disc should be visualized as kaphavruta vata, asayapakarsya gati and chronic degeneration should be visualized, as dhatuks aya. Hence the treatment is done accordingly.
Ayurvedic Lepam (Kapha vatahara usna)-
1) Apply the warm paste of K4 curnam or R4 curnam or N4 curnam or Kolakulatthadi curnam with tamarind juice and little vinegar in the cervical region.
2) Apply it twice daily.Keep it until it gets dry and wipes it off with warm water
3) Valuka sveda (Ruksasvedam, with dry husk or kulattham (economical) for 20 minutes or until sweat appears.)
4) Oil should not be applied for first few days
Other important panchakarma
To be started after pain relief and after the acute phase for strengthening the Neck Muscles.
Ayurvedic treatment on CervicaI Spondylosis -
This is a disorder in which the discs vertebrae in the neck degenerate and so has a pulling pressure on the spinal cord in the neck.
Causes of CervicaI Spondylosis-
1) With aging, the bone of the spine overgrows and narrows the spinal canal in the neck. As a result, the spinal cord or the spinal nerve roots are compressed causing dysfunction.
2)Rheumatoid Arthritis, Ankylosing Spondylitis may also produce cervical pain and degeneration.
Symptoms of CervicaI Spondylosis-
1)Cervical degeneration is commonly seen after thirty years of age.
2)The characteristic clinical features are shooting pain and weakness.
3) Leg movements may become jerky or spastic in advanced stages.
Treatment principle according to Ayurveda-
Ageing is a process which is not always kind to people. One of the things which occurs along with ageing is cervical spondylosis, which causes extreme pain and stiffness of muscles. Although it may be an excruciating thing to have, it really does not mean that it cannot be treated, especially with herbal medicine.
In a lot of cases, cervical spondylosis (sometimes referred to as neck arthritis or cervical osteoarthritis) ends up being related to a neck injury that was suffered by a person and it gets progressively worse as he or she gets older. It is a condition in which there is a degradation of the joints of either two or more vertebrae.
To say that herbal remedies can go a long way when it comes to an issue such as cervical spondylosis is an understatement. Take a look at Ayurveda, the ancient, yet super effective body of medicine.
Ayurveda requires general changes in a person’s diet and the way he or she lives life, as well. For this reason, when a person is looking to get rid of cervical spondylosis, it is important to stay away from eating fried food or food that is either sour or bitter. Relief from cervical spondylosis can be as easy as popping a medicine in capsule form a few times a day!
Make sure you visit a qualified doctor before you consume any of these medicines. It is to be kept in mind that a doctor should prescribe the dosage of medicines and the duration of the treatment for cervical spondylosis and only after this is done should you undergo the treatment. Soon you can look forward to living a higher quality of life with lesser pain.
Ayurveda provides permanent cure for this ailment. The treatment includes external therapies like greeva basti, abhyangam, kizhi etc. Along with some therapeutic diet and regimen and internal medication. Therefore, cervical spondylitis is completely curable with ayurveda.
The Value of cupping therapy as a treatment in present day medication
Cupping therapy pulls toxins, pathogenic elements, blood poison, dead lymph and cell flotsam and jetsam from profound inside the tissues to the surface. These crippling operators are then more effortlessly removed from the body. The stores disseminate from a couple of hours up to a little while, contingent upon the measure of stagnation and the patients post treatment exercises. The nature of the pathogenic components changes as indicated by the seriousness of the patient's blood stasis; which associates with the nature, seriousness and sort of condition they have. It can show up from a light pink to a dim purple, yet is normally a shade of red. Regularly modest raised knocks will show up. In some cases a reasonable liquid will be attracted to the surface. These are largely consequences of sickness and toxins being expelled from profound inside the tissues. For the most part, the expert will see the best measure of stores being attracted to the surface in the initial couple of medicines. The stores will decrease in force as the more profound issues are settled and the stagnations and toxins have been dug up and flushed out by means of the bodys' own circulatory frameworks, removal from the pores and sweat.
Although the marks look painful, they are not. Patients usually feel an immediate sense of relief.
Keywords: Cupping therapy, Toxins
Since antiquated occasions, complementary and alternative medicine (CAM) have assumed a critical job in human wellbeing and welfare. Cupping treatment gets its name from the cups that are utilized to convey the treatment. Cupping has turned out to be progressively accessible to general society in the ongoing years. "Cupping Therapy is an old restorative treatment that depends after making a nearby suction to assemble blood stream with the end goal to advance mending". Cupping is a conventional idea thought to help in medicinal conditions and has turned out to be progressively more famous in specific situations. It is as yet drilled in country zones as it was rehearsed a huge number of years back, yet as of late has been recognized in the western culture. Cupping treatment is rehearsed worldwide and among various societies to oversee pain and other medical issues. Pain can be enduring and consistent with the patient inclination inconvenience, trouble and frequently anguish if the seriousness is high. Pain that can't be overseen by customary restorative consideration, is the most widely recognized explanation behind looking for remedial options in contrast to traditional medication and the more serious the torment, the more incessant is the utilization of such treatments.
DEFINITION OF CUPPING THERAPY
Cupping therapy is therapy of alternative traditional medicine. Due to utilization of cups, it is called as cupping therapy. Hijama is alternative name of cupping therapy. It is Arabic word, which means ‘to suck’.
HISTORY OF CUPPING THERAPY
There is reason to trust the practice dates from as right on time as 3000 BC. The Ebers Papyrus , composed 1550 BC and one of the most established therapeutic course readings in the Western world, portrays the Egyptians ' utilization of cupping, while at the same time making reference to comparable practices utilized by Saharan Peoples. In ancient Greece, Hippocrates (400 BC) utilized cupping for interior malady and basic issues. The method was profoundly suggested by Muhammad and henceforth very much drilled by Muslim researchers who explained and built up the technique further. Continuously, this method in its various structures spread into medication all through Asian and European human advancements. In China, the most punctual utilization of cupping that is recorded is from the popular Taoist chemist and botanist, GeHong (281-341 A.D.).
AIMS AND OBJECTIVE
Cupping treatment ends up prevalent day by days. Many physicians interested to practise this therapy. But very short information they fear to practise. Keeping this fact in mind this article is written to provide basic information of cupping therapy to all research scholar and physicians.
METHODS OF CUPPING
Cupping can be wet or dry. In dry cupping cups are set on flawless skin and the point is to just expel blood and liquid from the site of aggravation to the surface of the skin. Wet cupping, otherwise called phlebotomy, is the point at which mini incisions are made with an exceptional sort of lancet on the locale of the skin where the cup is connected.
The point is to evacuate shallow blood that streams into the cup which is believed to be brimming with poisonous and harmful substances. Cupping is performed by making a vacuum in the cup set on the skin by either applying a warmed cup on the skin which devours the air inside it (fire cupping) or by utilizing a suction pump (suction cupping). In flame cupping the expert may utilize a cup made of glass, metal or wood (bamboo). The cups are then warmed by consuming liquor splashed cotton inside the cups. The cup is then set looked down level on the skin as the warmth makes suction on the skin. Suction cupping utilizes a suction pump to direct the let some circulation into of the cup after it is connected to the skin.
DURATION OF CUPPING
The cups are left in place anywhere from 10 to 15 minutes depending on the nature of the individual’s condition. However duration of cups left may vary patient to patient and severity of the disease.
A general course of treatment involves four to six sessions in intervals starting from 7 to 15 day gaps.
INDICATIONS OF CUPPING THERAPY
1. Musculoskeletal and autoimmune disorders: Cupping can eliminate pain causing substances, prostaglandins, inflammatory mediators and cytokines.
2. Cardiovascular diseases: Cupping eliminates excess intravascular fluids, excess lipids, vasoconstrictors and aetiology concerning substances.
3. Gynaecological disorders:
4. Haematological disorders: Cupping clears blood from fragments of haemolysed cells, liberated Hb, excess iron
5. Dermatological disorders: Cupping clears toxic blood from fragments of abnormally high IgE and other diseases
6. Endocrinal/metabolism disorders: Cupping eliminates accumulated substrates and metabolites from body and induces blood clearance; induce immunity boosting and pharmacological potentiation.
7. Neuropsychiatric disorders: Cupping removes pain causing substances, prostaglandins and aetiological concerning fluids from the body.
8. Respiratory and ENT disorders: Cupping removes pathology concerning substances and boost immunity.
9. Gastrointestinal disorders:
CONTRAINDICATION OF CUPPING THERAPY
SIDE EFFECTS OF CUPPING THERAPY
This particular method of wet cupping is a specialty treatment and must be performed by trained and qualified Unani physician.
Cupping therapy treatment allows the practitioner to determine with the aid of suction cups whether the position of the symptoms is the true location of the disease. Additionally, we can detect which organ is defective and in need of treatment. With the many forms of cupping therapy health care provider should review the literature and make their selection of cupping method and points based on treatment studies.
Cervical spondylitis is a permanent degenerative state of the cervical spine that affects the vertebral tracts and intervertebral disks of the neck (for instance, disk herniation and spur formation), in addition to the substance of the spinal cord (nerve roots or potential spinal strings). A few changes additionally include the degenerative changes in the bone joints, longitudinal tendons, and ligamentum flavum. However, homeopathy can help cure the same. Following are some of the most effective medicines: