According to Ayurveda, any disease that happens is due to an imbalance in the body between the three basic elements, namely, Vata, Pitta, and Kapha. Sinusitis happens due to increased Kapha in the body is more with weather changes, increased environmental pollution, etc.
Ways it can be managed
Very often, sinusitis is a chronic condition with acute bouts. Treatment consists of the remedy of acute symptoms and prevention of recurrence.
- Boil some tulsi leaves in water and inhale
- Add mint or clove or sesame or eucalyptus oil to boiling water and inhale to clear out secretions
- Add salt to a glass of warm water and gargle to clear the throat. It can also be used in the nostrils to reduce dryness of nasal membranes and clearing out secretions
- Boil some onions in water, and use this steam as a sauna
- Boil some mustard drops in water and wait till it reduces in quantity. Use a dropper to apply 2 to 3 drops in each nostril
- Sniffing on garlic pod that is tied to a sterile cotton cloth is helpful in clearing the throat
- Add cumin seeds powder to a cloth and make a small ball, keep inhaling this to clear the nose.
- Apply a paste of cinnamon on the forehead and nose for clearing congestion.
- Eat foods that are neither too cold or warm
- Avoid cold inducing foods like refrigerated foods, cold foods, juice from cans, etc.
- Eat freshly cooked or warmed up foods
- Avoid cold water showers or hot baths after being out in the cold
- Avoid cigarette smoke or extreme pollution
- Include spices like onions, garlic, cumin, cinnamon, ginger, and turmeric.
The most common form of a headache, this is treated by Ayurveda using the following approach.
- Stress including anger, jealousy, and grief
- Prolonged exposure to the sun
- Consumption of polluted food
- Controlling emotions and urges
- Specific foods, oily stuff, spicy foods, chocolates, eggs, salty foods, etc.
1. Massages: Using copious amounts of herbal oils in the head including shirodhara and applying the herbal paste in shirolepa are effective remedies for preventing migraines.
2. This can also be done using cow milk, buttermilk, chandanadi tail, or Anu taila
- Leaves of jasmine or pomegranate and salt are crushed to obtain juice which is instilled in the nostrils.
- To juice of Doorva grass, liquorice powder is added and consumed in the afternoons for about 20 to 30 days, which helps control a migraine
- Coriander seed powder soaked overnight in water and consumed early morning is an excellent remedy
- Pranayama is helpful in regulating breathing and controlling stress, so helpful in treating migraines.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!