Melasma, commonly known as skin pigmentation, is a skin disorder, which causes brown and blotchy spots on your face. Everybody craves to have spotless and flawless skin. But usually no one does anything about it. Contrary to popular belief, having perfect skin is not really difficult. You need to religiously follow your skincare regime to keep it healthy and flawless. In case you are suffering from melasma or have skin pigmentation,
Here are a few tips which you can follow:
1. Apply raw potato on your face: Take a clean and fresh potato. Cut it into two halves and wet the exposed surface with a little water. Rub this on all the affected regions on the face and wash your face after 10 to 15 minutes with lukewarm water. Potatoes are extremely effective in removing pigmentation as they have an enzyme called catecholase, which can help to lighten darkened areas on the skin.
2. Use apple cider vinegar on your skin: Apple cider vinegar helps to restore the natural color of the skin. It also contains beta-carotene, which helps to treat the damage done to the skin by the atmosphere's free radicals. In fact, one of the famous qualities of apple cider vinegar is to make the skin supple and bright.
3. Apply aloe vera on your skin: Regular usage of aloe vera on the skin is one of the best and most effective remedies for skin pigmentation. Aloe vera can help clean the skin without harming the natural balance of the skin, as it has marvelous cleansing properties. It helps to reduce spots on your face, and also provides protection against the harmful UV rays of the sun.
4. A sandalwood pack can also work wonders: Sandalwood acts, both as a stimulant as well as a blood purifier. These two properties of sandalwood help it to treat skin pigmentation. Make a pack using sandalwood and rosewater and apply it to your face at least twice a day to get rid of the pigmentation. Sandalwood is also one of the major ingredients for a sunscreen as it can protect the skin from the harmful UV rays.
5. Keep an eye on what you eat: Your diet plays a very crucial part when it comes to the wellbeing of your skin. Make sure that you add a lot of green leafy vegetables and foods rich in Vitamin A and C to maintain your healthy skin. Drink lots of water and eat a lot of fruits in order to keep your skin hydrated. This will also detoxify your body.
Follow the above tips and ensure yourself a spotlessly beautiful skin.
Besides being a part of aging, skin pigmentation can also be caused due to the damaging effects of acne or even long-term exposure to UV rays of the sun. You can eliminate brown spots or scars by resorting to certain skin rejuvenation treatment. The more aggressive skin treatments are Laser Skin Resurfacing or Intense Pulsed Light (IPL). For treating moderately pigmented skin, Chemical Peels can also be used.
How do chemical peels work?
Chemical peels sink deeper into the layers of your skin and stimulate the cell’s turnover process. For exfoliation, the chemical peels are used to burn the top layer of your skin, thus reducing the pigmentation of your skin and also eliminating or reducing the external lines, blemishes and wrinkles. Different chemical peels have different penetrating powers into different layers of the skin. The chemical peels are customized according to the area and extent of damages caused to your skin.
Treatment by chemical peels
Such treatment is taken up by cosmetic dermatology centers and medical spas. Prior to the process, consult the dermatologist for a better evaluation of your skin type and needs. Also know about the potential risks and side effects such as burning, excessive scarring, permanent hypo-pigmentation or hyper-pigmentation
Types of chemical peels
The following are the commonly used chemical peels used for the treatment of pigmentation:
Acne is irritating not only when it is active, but even after it heals. This is because it leaves behind unpleasant scars and pigmentation. Laser therapy is the best known way of dealing with these scars and pigmentation issues. It is a misconception that laser treatment is a new form of skin therapy. Laser is being used to treat pigmentation scars since 1964, however, the procedures have evolved significantly and become much more improved and effective.
How does laser therapy work?
Lasers direct intense amounts of monochromatic light at precise points on the skin. This light is emitted in short pulses. When this light hits the skin it heats the hemoglobin cells. The precision with which lasers direct this light ensures that surrounding cells are not affected.
By changing the amount of light, lasers can be used to address cells at varying depths of the skin. In the case of scars, they can destroy the excessive melanin deposits causing a scar. It can also boost collagen production.
In most cases, lasers used to treat skin issues are carbon dioxide or argon lasers. These are known as CW lasers. Laser therapy may be short pulsed or long pulsed. The difference between the two lies in the rest period between emitting bursts of light. The type of laser therapy used depends largely on the degree of scarring or hyperpigmentation.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Laser treatment