Sex drive is nothing, but the desire to have sexual interaction, but this desire might get badly affected by several reasons. Lower sex-drive can be found both in women and men, but the reasons might vary at times. In this case, sexual thoughts can be decreased as a result of which you will not get the energy and enthusiasm in getting physical with your partner.
Probable causes for a lower sex-drive
Excessive medications: If you are taking excessive drugs, then your sexual desire might get badly affected. There are many medicines that can invite libido loss as a result of which sexual desire gets decreased. Therefore, you should take only prescribed drugs, but with limited dosage only. Sometimes, excessive intake of antidepressants may cause the libido to decrease a lot.
Unhealthy lifestyle: If you are addicted to smoking or alcohol consumption, then you will face a completely unhealthy lifestyle, and this might lead to a decrease in the libido amount in both males and females.
Excessive stress: If your mind is filled with acute stress, depression and tension due to either personal or professional affairs, then you will never be able to concentrate on sexual arousal part and thus your sex life will get greatly hampered. This is the reason you have to regulate your mental stress so that you can get erotic thoughts in your mind.
Relationship troubles: If you have got relationship troubles due to misunderstandings, then you will never be able to enjoy your sex life peacefully. Sexual thoughts will not hit your mind and thus you will not get involved in any physical interaction with your partners. Therefore, you have to resolve all misunderstandings with your partner and then only you can get a successful love life.
Hormonal problems: Hormonal fluctuations often lead to a decrease in libido and thus sexual desire gets badly affected. You can now get necessary treatments so that sexual hormones can be effectively balanced.
Age: With the increase in age, desire for lovemaking automatically gets decreased and this is quite common. Not only your energy levels will get decreased, but your testosterone levels will also get diminished and thus you will feel tired and will not be able to participate in sexual interaction.
Chronic medical conditions: If you have got any chronic diseases or health issues, then also your sex life will get interrupted and you will not have the desire to have sex.
A woman's sexual desire never remains the same. It fluctuates with a woman’s menstrual cycle, age, mental state and health. Life changes like pregnancy, menopause and social dynamics like family relationships and stress at work affect her libido. But there are other reasons which are more ‘chemical’ for a woman’s sexual highs and lows, as we shall soon see. Before we get to the symptoms and reasons for low libido in women, let’s define what low sexual drive is.
If a woman has persistent or recurrent lack of sexual interest, she may be suffering from hypoactive sexual desire disorder or low sex drive. This is the most common form of sexual dysfunction among women of all ages.
Common symptoms of low sex drive are
Physical causes which lead to low sex drive in women
Since sexual desire in women is so complex and multi-dimensional, relationships, emotional state of a woman, her sense of well-being, as well as closeness and chemistry have a role to play. However, low sexual desire has to be recognized as such, to be cured. The cure for low libido is not just physical, but it is usually a multi-pronged strategy including social, psychological and emotional factors. But we assure you that a visit to a doctor, lifestyle changes and medications can help you get into the mood more often.
First dates are ever so romantic if you are with the perfect guy. Women go all out in making their man feel special, especially when it comes to playing games in the bedroom. But a lack of sexual desire can play spoilsport for any relationship, and things may end even before they start. Sexual appetite is something that is a facet of a normal adult’s life. However, a lack of something like this can be the cause of some discontent in a relationship in which the partner’s appetite is different.
However, as long as a woman is willing to alter her lifestyle in a few ways, she can really boost her libido. Here are some tips for women to give their libido a much-needed boost.
A life which is bereft of or even lacking in adventure can be quite dour, to say the least. As a matter of fact, this can have a pretty big impact on the female libido as well. If a woman makes the effort to get away from the normal, run-of-the-mill schedule she may have, the benefits of doing the same are likely to manifest in her libido. Also, as it is said: sex begets more sex and this will quite likely kick off a rather enjoyable cycle for the woman.
Depression and some antidepressants can curb your libido. This has a negative effect on depression as intercourse releases 'happy hormones'. Thus depression and your sex life share a cyclic relationship. The effect of depression on your sex life is a result of both brain functioning and physical changes in the body.
Sex and Performance
From a clinical point of view, however, it's clear that a depressive illness tends to affect all the bodily systems, dislocating them and often slowing them down. This effect is most marked with regard to sleep, which is invariably disrupted. But there can be adverse effects on any activity that requires energy, spontaneity and good co-ordination – and that includes sex. And, sadly, lots of individuals who are depressed often appear to lose interest in sex.
Admittedly, this isn't always the case, and some depressed people manage to maintain normal sex lives – sometimes even finding that making love is the only thing that gives them comfort and reassurance. In men, the general damping down of brain activity causes feelings of tiredness and hopelessness, which may be associated with loss of libido and erection problems. In women, this diminished brain activity tends to be associated with lack of interest in sex and very often with difficulty in reaching orgasm. All these problems tend to disappear when the person gets better. Indeed, renewed interest in sex may be the first sign of recovery.
Here are a few things you can work on if stress or depression is ruining your sex life:
Also he/she can suggest you a good road map how to take control of your sexual life. Role of a sexual therapist cannot be undermined.
Do you feel like sex has become a burden for you? You know you love your partner but when it comes to sex, you feel as if you have lost that desire? Then you are not the only one.
Many people go through a similar phase, known as loss of sex desire or low libido. This condition tends to affect you not just mentally but also your relationship with your partner and spouse. Sex is a type of communication between various hormones and neurotransmitters. Only when these two things work in harmony, you feel that sexual desire and excitement.
What is causing you to lose your sex desire?
A number of factors cause a person to experience sexual aversion. Knowing about these causes can help you understand and diagnose the problem. Some of the causes of this condition are the following:
How can you determine if you are suffering from low libido?
Knowing and recognizing the problem will go a long way in remedying this problem. This is how you can understand whether you are suffering from low libido:
How does homeopathy play a role in making this problem better?
Since homeopathy is completely natural, it always targets the body’s healing function by restoring and rejuvenating it. Because diminished sexual desire is an emotional and psychological condition, homeopathy can greatly help in treating it by eradicating the emotional triggers. Even though homeopathy takes a longer time in treating problems it is because it strikes at the root of the problem and permanently gets rid of the disorder. Your homeopath doctor will formulate your medicines very precisely keeping in mind your symptoms and difficulties and this will help treat your condition better. There remains a very little chance of the same problem recurring. Since homeopathic medicines are extremely diluted, there are hardly any side effects.
Sex is nothing to be ashamed about. It is a very crucial part of a relationship and marriage and just because you are suffering from a low libido now, that does not mean you are going to feel like that forever. So, trust the power of homeopathy and get your sex life back on track.
The flow of a libido regulates as well as incorporates the sexual drive of people. If there’s a loss in Libido, it usually indicates less sexual drive. Loss of Libido might make sex life stressful. The loss takes place because of various reasons such as psychological, social and biological factors.
As per Ayurveda Sexologists, Libido gets lost from the body of a male either by excessive nightfall or premature ejaculations. Most of the times secretion of semen in urine can also be the reason of acute loss of Libido.
Causes of Libido loss in men -
Libido loss in Ayurveda -
According to Ayurveda, loss of Libido is interruptive for sexual intercourse. It can take place by a lot of vata humor. The brain also involves loss in Libido. Most commonly, stress and depression are the main reasons for loss of Libido.
Herbs to get rid of it naturally -
The herbs mentioned below are beneficial in Libido loss. Make sure to consult best Ayurveda sexologist for the perfect combination of herbals according to the type of body.
Libido loss is a serious issue which has effective Ayurveda treatment.
Your fantasies might have taken a backseat for the time being or might have remained silenced for more than a while. The other processes of your usual life go on perfectly except for a few changes that you either consider as a minute or you attribute them to any cause other than lowered libido (interest in sex).
Loss of libido can create hurdles in a man as well as a woman's life and thus should be corrected at the earliest possible. Even if you don't care much about impaired sex life, libido loss can affect your overall health that can prove to be harmful in the long run.
Some may say that it’s all in the mind. Yes, but to a certain extent only. Considering the following causes, you would agree that it is not always in the mind that one loses interest in sex.
The common causes of decreased libido can be listed as below:
While in males, testosterone levels may sharply drop due to ageing, in females the estrogen levels may drop after surgeries pertaining to the vaginal tract, after menopause or after childbirth and subsequent breastfeeding.
Exhaustion from prolonged office work or extensive travelling.
An instance of sexual abuse in the past can result in lowered libido.
A lousy lifestyle where you either smoke or drink regularly can prevent you from experiencing sexual desires.
Irregular sleep patterns can be a contributing factor as well.
Ways to deal with your libido loss:
Make significant efforts to change your lifestyle. If you have an erratic lifestyle, sexual dysfunction is almost inevitable. You need to follow a routine to prohibit your libido from deterioration.
Meditate and/or workout daily. Indulge in a brisk walk, jogging, yoga, light exercises, swimming, play games like badminton, table tennis, squash, etc. Over a period of time, it can restore your interest in sexual activities.
Try and reduce the stress level from your life. Spend quality time together and with family. Take time out for a movie, an event, a long drive, or a vacation. Share your day’s activities with each other.
Eat lots of vegetables and fruits. Cut down on drinking and smoking and gradually give them up completely.
Take at least 8 hours of sleep so as to wake up the latest by 6:00 in the morning.
Counselling by a good sexologist can help to a great extent in overcoming this problem. A major part of my treatment for libido loss consists of Counselling. Many of my patients are now happy to revive their sexual life through my treatment. One can consult me in private if they want to say goodbye to Loss of Libido.
However, one must beware of the Quacks claiming to help you get back your “Mardana Taqat and Josh”. Always seek help from a qualified Doctor/sexologist/ sexual counsellor with a good track record.
Low libido or a decreased sexual activity can affect a relationship in a big way. In some extreme cases, the impact is such that it leads to irreconcilable marital discords. Time and again, an individual, irrespective of their age, sex or occupation can go through periods of low libido. Decreased sexual desire over a longer period of time needs thorough investigation. It could be an indication of something big and serious lying ahead.
7 critical factors attributing to low libido are as below:
1. Hormonal imbalance: Women, mostly menopausal and post menopausal, experience low libido. This is because during menopause, there is a significant drop in the oestrogen level. Reduced oestrogen level can have a huge impact on sexual desires and performance. It can also make the vagina dry, resulting in painful penetration and intercourse. Hormonal imbalance or changes during pregnancy can also result in low libido in females. In males, low libido has been found to be associated with decreased levels of testosterone.
2. Stress: An individual's mental and emotional state is greatly reflected in their sexual performance. A sound mental health can enhance a performance thousand folds. On the contrary, factors like depression, anxiety and stress lowers the sexual desires in a person. To enjoy a healthy and normal sexual life, it is important to keep stress and chronically blue moods at bay.
3. Sound sleep to the rescue: The benefits of a sound sleep are beyond imagination. A good 6- 8 hours of sleep can do your sexual desires or libido a world of good. A sleep deprived soul will be agitated and cranky, both on and off the bed. Continuous sleep deprivation can also lower the testosterone level, resulting in low libido.
4. Medical conditions like diabetes, cardiac problems, high blood pressure, or ailments of the coronary artery can rupture an individual's sexual life immensely. Improper functioning of the thyroid glands is another factor contributing to low libido. In such cases, it is best to consult a physician at the earliest. Rest Leg Syndrome can also contribute to low libido. It is a condition whereby a male experiences uncontrollable urge to move his legs.
5. A killer habit affecting a person's sexual activity is smoking. Drug abuse and drinking (to some extent) can be equally responsible for a low libido.
6. A sudden change in body weight (gain or loss) can play a significant role in low libido. Take pride in your body structure. There is nothing to be ashamed of.
7. Boredom can mask your sexual life greatly. Break the monotony, take short breaks, go on vacations and low libido will be a thing of the past.
Do not let low libido affect your conjugal life. Need help? We are just a click away.
Low libido or decreased sexual activity can affect a relationship in a big way. In some extreme cases, the impact is such that it leads to irreconcilable marital discords. Time and again, an individual, irrespective of their age, sex or occupation can go through periods of low libido. Decreased sexual desire over a longer period of time needs thorough investigation. It could be an indication of something big and serious lying ahead.
7 critical factors attributing to low libido
- Hormonal imbalance: Women, mostly menopausal and postmenopausal, experience low libido. This is because, during menopause, there is a significant drop in the oestrogen level. Reduced oestrogen level can have a huge impact on sexual desires and performance. It can also make the vagina dry, resulting in painful penetration and intercourse. Hormonal imbalance or changes during pregnancy can also result in low libido in females. In males, low libido has been found to be associated with decreased levels of testosterone.
- Stress: An individual's mental and emotional state is greatly reflected in their sexual performance. Sound mental health can enhance a performance thousand folds. On the contrary, factors like depression, anxiety and stress lower the sexual desires in a person. To enjoy a healthy and normal sexual life, it is important to keep stress and chronically blue moods at bay.
- Sound sleep to the rescue: The benefits of sound sleep are beyond imagination. A good 6- 8 hours of sleep can do your sexual desires or libido a world of good. A sleep-deprived soul will be agitated and cranky, both on and off the bed. Continuous sleep deprivation can also lower the testosterone level, resulting in low libido.
- Medical conditions like diabetes, cardiac problems, high blood pressure, or ailments of the coronary artery can rupture an individual's sexual life immensely. The improper functioning of the thyroid glands is another factor contributing to low libido. In such cases, it is best to consult a physician at the earliest. Rest Leg Syndrome can also contribute to low libido. It is a condition whereby a male experiences uncontrollable urge to move his legs.
- A killer habit affecting a person's sexual activity is smoking. Drug abuse and drinking (to some extent) can be equally responsible for low libido.
- A sudden change in body weight (gain or loss) can play a significant role in low libido. Take pride in your body structure. There is nothing to be ashamed of.
- Boredom can mask your sexual life greatly. Break the monotony, take short breaks, go on vacations and low libido will be a thing of the past.
Do not let low libido affect your conjugal life.
1. Stress: Sleep deprivation and stress directly hamper hormone production. Not only does it affect health, it also hampers sex drive. Stress can come from any source – family, work, friends, financial pressure, etc. What is important is to know how to tackle it.
2. Depression: One of the first signs of depression is a failing sex drive. When one starts to feel low, interest in sex also falls. One should immediately consider seeking professional help. However, it should be noted that anti-depressant medications often hamper your libido further.
3. Alcohol: Alcohol can improve your sex drive if consumed in small amounts. On the other hand, drinking too much is bad for the libido as it can cause erectile dysfunction and hamper orgasms.
4. Caffeine: Consuming caffeine in moderation is all right but again drinking too much of it on a regular basis can lead to over-stimulation of the adrenal glands. Caffeine is a stimulant, which can decrease your desire for sex.
5. Lack of exercise: Exercising improves flexibility and strength, which in turn boost sexual performance. Exercise also improves your blood circulation, so that all parts of your body, including your genital regions, get better blood flow.
6. Excess weight: Being overweight can put a lot of strain on your internal organs, which in turn can have a negative impact on your sex drive. Excessive weight can lower self-confidence as well.
7. Pornography: Watching pornography and masturbating too often can cause your sex drive to decrease. This happens because watching pornography triggers the release of dopamine, the hormone associated with sexual pleasure.
8. Relationship problems: It is important to solve relationship problems. Communicate with your partner and solve what issues are between the two of you so that you can resume sexual relations once more as unsolved issues can create a rift.
9. Busy schedule: The daily grind takes a toll on you, leaving you tired, exhausted and not in the mood for sex. Timing also plays a role in this, since it is possible that one partner may be tired on a day when the other is in the mood to make love.
10. Age: Age is a factor that affects both men and women. Men’s testosterone levels peak in their teenage years, although they can still enjoy a normal sex life until their 60’s. Women peak later than men, but their libido begins to decline much earlier, usually as they begin to approach menopause.