What is sarcopenia?
It’s the loss of muscle mass, strength & function as one ages. Though everyone is at risk of sarcopenia, it’s most commonly seen in people who lead a sedentary lifestyle. Other factors that may contribute to this condition:
- Hormonal change with age
- Change in protein requirements with age
How does it affect routine life?
- Impairment of daily functioning as muscle mass & strength are required for effective functioning of body
- Disables the aged people
Who is at risk?
- Age more than 40 years
- Sedentary lifestyle
- Low protein intake
How to prevent?
- Proper nutrition: Adequate nutrition is essential to prevent loss of muscle mass with age.Older adults may need more protein per Kg body weight to retain the muscle mass. They may require 1.0 to 1.2 g/kg of body weight per day to maintain the optimal level.
- Exercise: Resistance training is extremely effective for improving muscle mass and strength.Incorporating this fitness regimen in everyday activity helps in reducing the risk and also in prevention of sarcopenia.
- Supplements: Appropriate supplements can be given if required. For example, maintaining optimal vitamin D level using supplements aids in muscle strength and physical performance.
How to manage life with sarcopenia?
- Nutritious diet
- Increase physical activity
- Appropriate steps to avoid falls and fracture
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!