Home Remedies For Allergies: Procedure, Recovery, Risk & Complication
Last Updated: Mar 16, 2021
What are the best home remedies for allergies?
Allergies are hypersensitive immune responses of your body towards specific substances, which enter into the body or come near it, but to other people, these substances are harmless and don’t cause any symptoms.
Some of the allergies are food allergy, drug allergy, dust allergy, asthmatic allergy, contact dermatitis etc. Some natural home remedies for allergies are:
Turmeric contains curcumin which acts as a decongestant. Turmeric is known for its anti-inflammatory, antibacterial and analgesic properties that can treat acute allergies.
Description: You can take turmeric in powdered form in your cooked food or turmeric juice in hot milk and tea.
Butterbur is a medicinal herb and is famous for its anti-inflammatory and anti-histamine properties that can cure seasonal allergies.
Description: Butterbur can be used in the form of oil extractor pills. It helps to reduce intensity and frequency of seasonal allergy and helps to get rid of allergies.
- Apple cider vinegar:
Apple cider vinegar contains Vitamin A, Vitamin B6, Vitamin C, malic and acetic acid. It helps in boosting your immune system thereby curing allergies and other seasonal diseases.
Description: In 8 ounces of warm water add 2 teaspoon full of vinegar and honey. Drink this tonic twice a day regularly.
Garlic is a natural antioxidant and antibiotic herb which immediately boosts your immune system thereby preventing all types of allergies.
Description: Either chew or extract juice from 2 garlic cloves and drink it regularly to protect yourself from recurring allergies.
Quercetin is an anti-inflammatory and antioxidant pigment found in abundance in many common fruits and vegetables. This is used to curb allergic reactions and boost the immune system.
Description:Quercetin is obtained in cilantro, fennel leaves, onion, cranberry, plums, apple, broccoli, red kidney beans etc. Try to include these vegetables in your diet in order to attain healthy and allergy free life.
Honey helps to reduce the allergic reaction from pollen. As Honey is made from pollen grains collected by the bees. But it has not been proved scientifically yet.
- Vitamin D:
As per the studies conducted It has been observed that deficiency of vitamin D leads to allergy and person becomes more prone to asthma as vitamin D plays a key role in regulation of cells of the immune system that secrete enzymes causing symptoms of allergy.
- Exercise Regularly:
Doing Exercise regularly helps to prevent allergic reaction. It also helps to cure allergy and respiratory problems caused due to allergy.
- Peppermint oil:
Peppermint oil possesses anti-inflammatory properties that help to reduce bronchial asthma which is caused due to allergic reaction.
Summary: Allergies can be treated by taking honey, vitamin D, peppermint oil, garlic, turmeric, Apple cider vinegar, butterbur and Quercetin. Exercise regularly.
Are there any side effects of remedies for allergies?
There are certain side effects that may arise if these remedies are used in excess:
- Excess use of apple cider vinegar may cause a sore throat, decreased bone density, gastrointestinal problem, damaged tooth enamel, etc.
- Butterbur contains a harmful chemical called pyrrolizidine alkaloids (PAs) that can damage liver cells. So butterbur products that are labeled as “PA-free” should be used.
- Excess garlic may cause heartburn, unpleasant mouth, and body odour, nausea, vomiting, gas, etc.
- Turmeric if taken in excess may cause nausea, diarrhoea, increased bleeding, increased liver function, hyperactive uterine and gallbladder contractions, hypotension etc.
What are the post-remedy guidelines?
- Always use butterbur products that are marked as 'PA Free'
- Use face masks whenever you step out of your house.
- Change the air filter of your car frequently.
- Always keep your house, car, curtains and carpets dust free.
- Try to identify the precursors which trigger your allergic reactions and start avoiding them.
Summary: Follow the guidelines. Keep place around you dust free, Use face masks whenever you step out of your house, Always use butterbur products that are marked as 'PA Free'.
How long does it take to recover?
Curing allergies with home remedies are lengthy processes and demand your patience and continuous endeavour to follow the guidelines. But few of the herbs like butterbur and garlic bring you the desired relief within a few days.
Are the results of the home remedies for allergies are permanent?
If these remedies and the post remedy guidelines are followed as described then the frequency and severity of your allergies can be reduced drastically if not cured permanently.
Is there any training or experts required to perform these natural remedies for allergies?
In case you want to use butterbur as a home remedy to cure your allergies then it is always advised to take a second opinion from your physician to avoid any kind of future complications. In the case of the other remedies, you don’t require any expert’s supervision unless you’re hypersensitive towards any of the ingredients.
- Top Internal Medicine Specialist in Delhi
- Top Internal Medicine Specialist in Mumbai
- Top Internal Medicine Specialist in Gurgaon
- Top Internal Medicine Specialist in Pune
- Top Internal Medicine Specialist in Kolkata
- Top Internal Medicine Specialist in Bangalore
- Top Internal Medicine Specialist in Chennai
- Top Internal Medicine Specialist in Hyderabad
Table of content
Find Internal Medicine Specialist near me
Ask a free question
Get FREE multiple opinions from Doctors