High blood pressure is harmful. Over time, it can damage various organs of the body, such as kidneys, heart, eyes, brain, etc. It may also precipitate a Brain stroke or a Heart attack. A patient needs to regularly take high blood pressure medicines to prevent the blood pressure from rising.
However, one can also try Acupuncture. In fact, there is a study which reveals that Acupuncture treatment may even be more effective than hypertensive drugs in controlling blood pressure.
High Blood Pressure
This is one of the most common problems around the world. The American Heart Association says that about 100 million Americans are suffering from hypertension. Even the rate of death due to high blood pressure has increased.
Treatment of High Blood Pressure
Treatment for High blood pressure is almost exclusively done using Antihypertensive drugs. However, it has been observed that these medicines have their own limitations. One may need to combine Antihypertensive medicines with some other treatments to better manage blood pressure.
The Role of Acupuncture in Blood Pressure Control
There are a number of studies on the role of Acupuncture in Blood pressure control:
● A study was carried out on the effect of Acupuncture on a number of patients using Antihypertensive drugs. Each of the patients was using Antihypertensive drugs of different pharmacological groups. Most of these patients were also suffering from Dizziness, Fatigue, Headache, Weakness, Joint pain, Cold hands and feet, Sleeping disorders, Depression, etc. Acupuncture was administered for one month and results were evaluated. It was found that blood pressure of most of the subjects went down effectively. It was followed by concurrent reduction in complaints of the patients.
● In a study conducted on 30 patients, Electroacupuncture was tested to see if it can lower blood pressure. They concluded that blood pressure can be kept low or maintained at a level with a monthly program of Acupuncture.
How Acupuncture Helps
● Investigations have found that Acupuncture may be able to open up blocked blood vessels. Lack of oxygen in the blood is one of the reasons for high blood pressure. By opening up blocked blood vessels, oxygen concentration in blood can increase.
● According to Acupuncture, invisible pathways, known as Meridians, connect one body part to another. One needs to stimulate these pathways in order to send electrical impulses to the brain. It is these impulses that can accomplish a lot of tasks, including bringing down high blood pressure.
Acupuncture Points for High Blood Pressure
There are various Acupuncture points for controlling blood pressure. These are:
● Back of the neck
● Top of head
● Outer elbow
● The web between the forefinger and the thumb
● Below the kneecap
● Inner forearm
● Top of the foot, etc.
Studies have revealed that Acupuncture can help even if a patient is taking Antihypertensive medicines. Discussing Acupuncture as an alternative treatment option with an experienced physician can help.