Eating well is one of the secrets to a long and healthy life. To be able to sustain yourself in the long run, without falling prey to life-threatening diseases and degeneration of the body, one must invest well in nutrition. So, how to sustain a healthy eating habit? Here are a few elements that you should add to your diet - pronto!
- Omega Three: Fish and nuts have the maximum omega three fatty acids which are known as an anti-ageing ingredient that everyone must add to their daily diet. Have fish, green vegetables, dry fruit or nuts to get a dose of omega three every time you are hungry for a quick snack. Raisins, walnuts and flaxseed are also great sources of this element.
- Fibre: Get a good dose of digestive fibres with each meal and every time you snack. These fibres collect all the toxins and flush them out of the system which can prevent a host of disease from GERD to acidity and even cancer. It is also a well-known ingredient that helps you maintain a steady blood sugar level. Lentils, legumes, barley, fruits and berries, in particular, are all great sources of fibre.
- Go Slow: Doing it in slow motion is the key to longevity - chewing, swallowing and savouring, that is. Studies have shown that many centenarians are in the habit of eating a low-calorie diet really slowly so that they feel full faster. This practice is especially prevalent in the Far East. So, take time out for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Learn how to enjoy your own company and get used to eating slowly.
- Healthy Fats: Did you even know that there is such a thing as healthy fats? Well, now you do. So get a load of healthy fats that can be found in pistachios, almonds, olive oil and other such ingredients which can actually help in combating the build-up of excessive blood lipids which can lead to high cholesterol and even diabetes.
- Protein: Take protein-rich food every single day. Not only will it give you energy, but it will also help in building good bone and muscle strength which will keep you active longer. This ingredient can also ensure that there is less cellular damage as you grow older, which eliminates pesky problems like weak knees and fractures. Eggs, fat-free milk and other such ingredients contain good protein.
So pile the above ingredients high to enjoy a long and healthy life!