What is Hair transplantation?
Hair transplantation is a method of Hair restoration surgery used to treat baldness and hair loss. Follicular unit transplantation or FUT is the latest method of Hair restoration surgery whereby follicular units are transplanted from the donor area (i.e. area where there is abundant hair usually in the back of the head) to the recipient area( balding area usually front or top of scalp). The follicular units occur naturally in groups on the scalp and contain 1,2, 3or 4 hairs along with oil glands, nerve and blood vessel bundle and are enveloped by a sheath of tissue.
How many types of hair restoration surgery are available?
Follicular Unit Transplantation or FUT is of 2 types: Strip method and FUE ( follicular unit extraction). They both differ in terms of how the follicular units are harvested. In the strip method of harvesting, the strip bearing the follicular units is removed from the back of the head and this is dissected into individual units under magnification. After the strip is removed, the edges of the skin are sutured. This leaves a scar in the back of the head running from one ear to the other. In the FUE method, the units are harvested directly from the back of the head using a tool that makes punches. There is no scar with this method and the healing time of the wound is quicker.
What factors does the result depend on?
There are several factors that influence who will have a better outcome from the transplantation. Not only the method of surgery chosen but factors like hair density, waviness of the hair, colour contrast between the hair and scalp, thickness of the hair, size of the donor area, elasticity of the scalp are all important. Besides this different practitioners have different results, so the skill of the surgeon is also a factor.
What does the surgery involve?
A. In the Strip harvesting method, after the strip is removed, it is sent for dissection to the team of technicians. Meanwhile, the skin is closed with stitches in layers. The surgeon then sits the patient upright and then designs the hairline in the front and on top of the head with a marker pen. After numbing the skin with local anesthetic injections he then makes tiny holes in the areas of balding. The team then starts inserting the follicles or grafts into the prepared holes in the recipient area.
In the FUE method, units are removed directly from the back of the head and are trimmed by the technicians. The rest of the steps are similar to that of the strip method.
How many Transplant sessions will I need?
This will depend on the amount of hair loss. Unless it is a small area of balding, usually there will be 2-3 sessions needed.
Will I have a scar?
With the strip method, there will be a scar on the back of the head but with improved surgical methods used nowadays, it will be a fine scar. Whilst closing the wound, a Trichophytic type of closure is employed which allows hair to grow through the scar that will camouflage the scar. In the FUE method, there is no visible line like scar. There is tina dot like scars from the areas where the punches were taken but this is hardly visible.
What precautions should I take prior to surgery?
What happens after surgery?
lHair transplant is regarded as one of the most common cosmetic procedures, mostly undergone by male patients. We do not usually see females going for hair transplant but it does get performed on female patients as well. Female hair transplant could come to great help for females, who are facing the problem of alopecia or hair loss and cannot afford to bear the cost of hair restoration surgery.
Especially in India, women tend to go for the option of hair transplant due to two reasons:
Who Can Be A Good Candidate For Females Hair Transplant?
Women having typical diffuse females patterned hair loss are not the ideal candidates for hair transplant, as they do not have an adequate donor supply on the back and on the sides of the scalp or even anywhere else in their body.
Still, there are times when a significant improvement can be brought about in the appearance of female patients, through the hair transplant. They include:
Benefits of Female Hair Transplant-
There are several benefits which should be good enough for women, who are suffering from hair loss, to go for hair transplant. The benefits include:
One of the major benefits is, once the hair follicle gets transplanted, it would continue to grow along with the hair and can be cut, styled in a similar manner, just like a woman would have done with her original hair.
Many men and women suffer from baldness these days and in order to conceal it, look for options available in the market. Though there are many temporary solutions, the most permanent solution is hair transplantation.
What is Hair Transplantation?
Hair transplantation is broadly achieved by removing grafts/follicles from the back of the head which are more resistant to hormonal changes and placing them in areas of scanty growth or baldness. There are two methods to remove the grafts – Follicular Unit Transplantation (FUT) and Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE).
In FUT method, a strip of scalp is cut out from the back of the head and is dissected into individual grafts.
FUE method of hair transplantation involves taking the individual follicular units/grafts from the back of the head one by one by cutting around it through a tiny specialised machine and removing them. The process is tedious and takes a few hours but is painless after a few numbing injections are given.
The rest of the procedure remains the same in both techniques. Tiny sites are created using very fine blades and needles in the balding areas after numbing them again with local anaesthetic injections. These grafts are then inserted in the sites on the front of the head or wherever there is hair loss.
Advantages of FUT method:
Advantages of FUE method:
Both methods involve surgery hence a proper consultation with the surgeon is required who can explain the procedure and its advantages and disadvantages. It takes several hours to perform the surgery and implant hence it is important to block the day out completely and be mentally prepared for it. Most surgeons will want to shave the entire head before embarking on the procedure so make sure that you factor that in.
Post surgery care:
It is important to follow post surgery instructions and take good care of the grafts. Swelling of the scalp, face is common for a few days. You will be on antibiotics, steroids, painkillers for a few days and will be asked to use Minoxidil and or Finasteride.
The grafts are wetted with saline repeatedly for a few days after the transplant. Hair is washed with a diluted shampoo the next day in a specific manner without disturbing the grafts. They will eventually fall out after two weeks and the new growth will be seen anywhere between three to six months. In FUT method, post-op wound care of the scar is important and the sutures are removed after a week.
Who should opt for FUT method?
Who should go in for FUE method?
Hair transplantation is a minor surgical procedure where the hair follicles are taken from a donor site (usually the back or side of the head) and implanted on the recipient site that is on the area of baldness. This is a common treatment for men with androgenic androgenetic alopecia (male pattern baldness) where the hair follicles reduce due to the influence of androgenic hormones. It can also help women with female pattern baldness.
Many people have reservations about the procedure but hair transplantation comes with a number of advantages, such as:
1. Natural growth after surgery: The biggest and most obvious benefit of hair transplantation is that it improves your physical appearance and eliminates the problem of balding completely bald look. This is because the implanted hair follicles continue their natural growth process after they have been transplanted following a certain period of time. So, your hair does not look artificial. Premature bald spots often result in low self-esteem and self-confidence issues which can be effectively addressed by the surgery.
2. Uniform distribution of hair follicles: Hair transplantation with latest techniques gives a natural distribution of hair and proper coverage of bald areas.
3. Easy and comfortable procedure: The procedure is done under local anaesthesia. After the administration of local anaesthesia, the entire procedure is very comfortable and painless, You will feel no pain throughout the procedure. Very comfortable procedure and you will be conscious throughout the procedure. This surgery is done at the level of skin and this is not related to the brain. There are practically no side effects of this surgery. The scarring in this procedure is very minimal and is not visible even if one keeps short hair. Today, the surgeons mostly use micro grafts which are placed in such a way that all bald spots are covered with minimal effort.
4. The only definitive procedure: Hair transplantation is the only permanent solution for baldness. No medical treatment for baldness is absolute and or permanent. Once the hair transplantation has been done, it lasts for long. Since the grafts are made of your own hair, they continue to grow naturally, allowing you to cut, colour or style your hair as you wish. Results of hair transplant depend on various factors namely the quality of donor hair, area of coverage, environmental factors, any medical ailment, personal addictions, etc. Practical expectations are required before proceeding with hair transplant procedure.
Consult a qualified hair transplant surgeon for the procedure and discuss what is best for you.
Premature hair thinning, receding hairline, increased hair fall and other problems related to your scalp are directly proportional to your psychological health. Being overly concerned about one's physical appearance does not always result from vanity. It could be the plain and simple desire of being acceptable to oneself. Today surgeons are capable of transplanting and extracting a large number of hair follicles.
The reasons when one may opt for a hair transplant are:
Hair transplant surgery is naturally a lasting and safe treatment for hair loss, as the chances for your body to reject the intervention in the form of implanted hair is minimal. This is because the technique that is used involves taking your own hair out from the follicle roots, (mostly from areas like the neck or the back and sides of your head) where they are not needed so much and place them in specially designed holes in the bald areas. Since no external factors are involved, the body does not tend to reject the transplant.
मेडिकल साइंस की तरक्की के कारण हेयर ट्रांसप्लांट करवाना एकदम आसान हो गया है और आगे इससे भी आसान होने के आसार हैं. हेयर ट्रांसप्लांट को आप हिन्दी में बालों का प्रत्यारोपण कह सकते हैं. जिन लोगों के बालों में कोई समस्या आ जाती है उन्हें हेयर ट्रांसप्लांट का सहारा लेना पड़ता है. आपको बता दें कि अब वे लोग भी हेयर ट्रांसप्लांट करवा सकते हैं जिनके बाल सालों पहले झड़ चुके हैं या फिर जो गंजेपन की समस्या से जूझ रहे हैं. लेकिन इसके साथ कई नुकसान भी है जिसके बारे में आपको जानना चाहिए, तो आइए इस लेख के माध्यम से हेयर ट्रासप्लांट से होने वाले नुक़सानों पर एक नजर डालें.
ब्लीडिंग और इन्फेक्शन-
1. ब्लीडिंग सामान्य तौर पर सिर पर अनुभवहीनता के कारण ही होता है. इसलिये ऐसी सर्जरी करवाने से पहले अनुभवी कॉस्मेटिक सर्जन की सलाह दी जाती है. अनुचित और गंदे उपकरणों के उपयोग से भी अक्सर ऐसी संभावना हो सकती है. यह तब भी हो सकता है सर्जरी एक अशुद्ध जगह पर की गई हो.
2. बालों का पतला होना - सिर पर बाल लगाते वक्त कुछ बाल ठीक तरह से नहीं लग पाते, जिस वजह से वह बाद में पतले हो कर झड़ना शुरु कर देते हैं. कई लोग गंजेपन की भी शिकायत करते हैं.
3. खुजलाहट - अगर ठीक से इस समस्या पर ध्यान नहीं दिया गया तो खुजलाहट भयंकर भी हो सकती है. यह खुजली सिर पर पपड़ी बनने की वजह से होती है. वैसे यह समस्या कुछ दिनों में शैंपू करने से ठीक भी हो जाती है. पर अगर समस्या लगातार बनी रहे तो डॉक्टर को दिखाना ही सही रहता है.
4. घाव - यह घाव उन रोगियों को होता है जो सट्रिप प्लान्टेशन करवाते हैं. यह निशान कभी कभी भयंकर हो सकता है, खास कर के तब जब हेयरस्टाइल शॉर्ट हो.
5. अल्सर - सिस्ट या अल्सर तब होता है जब बालों की जड़ें डैमेज हो जाती हैं और त्वचा के एक दम अंदर तक धंस जाती हैं. यह एक पिंपल के साइज का होता है. हांलाकि अल्सर कभी भी घातक नहीं होता. पर इसे बिना देरी किये हुए डॉक्टर को दिखाना चाहिये.
6. सूजन - जिन लोगों की खराब स्किन टोन होती है उन्हें सिर पर सूजन की शिकायत आ सकती है. हांलाकि एक्सपर्ट की सलाह से इसे दूर किया जा सकता है. अगर सूजन बढ गई तो यह आंखों और माधे पर साफ दिखाई देने लगती है.
7. ब्लीडिंग - हेयर ट्रांसप्लांट में वैसे तो ब्लीडिंग नहीं होती मगर कुछ रोगियों को सिर पर ज्यादा दबाव की वजह से ब्लीडिंग शुरु हो सकती है. इस दौरान घाव लगने आम बात हैं.
8. दर्द - हांलाकि हेयर ट्रांसप्लांट में थोड़ा बहुत दर्द होना आम बात है. यह समय के साथ कम भी होता चला जाता है इसललिये परेशान होने की कोई बात नहीं.
9. सुन्न हो जाना - ट्रांसप्लांट के कई हफ्तों तक सिर सुन्न बना रहता है. अगर यह समय के साथ ना जाए तो आपको डॉक्टर को दिखाना चाहिये.
किन बातों का रखें ख्याल
* बजट का ध्यान रखें: - हेयर ट्रांसप्लांट करवाने से पहले बजट का भी ध्यान रखें. दरअसल, हेयर ट्रांसप्लांट करवाना बहुत महंगा होता है, इसीलिए पहले पूरा बजट पूछ लें. तभी इस और अगला कदम उठाएं.
* तकनीकों की जानकारी: - हेयर ट्रांसप्लांट से पहले आपको तकनीकों के बारें में भी जानकारी होनी चाहिए कि आपके लिए किस तकनीक का इस्तेमाल किया जा रहा हैं. हालांकि बाल प्रत्यारोपण के लिए नई तकनीकों में फलिक्यूलर यूनिट हेयर ट्रांसप्लांट (एफयूएचटी) और फलिक्यूलर यूनिट सेपरेशन एक्स्ट्रेक्शन (एफयूएसई) का अधिक इस्तेमाल किया जाता हैं क्योंकि इनसे गंभीर से गंभीर स्थिति को आसानी से संभाला जा सकता है.
* जगह का ध्यान रखें: - यदि आप हेयर ट्रांसप्लांट करवाने की सोच रहे हैं तो इस बात पर जरूर ध्यान दें कि आप किस जगह पर हेयर ट्रांसप्लांट करवा रहे हैं. यानी क्लीनिक की गुणवत्ता और जगह दोनों का खास ख्याल रखें. आप किसी भी विज्ञापन को देखकर उस जगह यूं ही हेयर ट्रांसप्लांट के लिए ना जाएं बल्कि इस और सावधानी बरतें.
* डॉक्टर का चुनाव: - हेयर ट्रांसप्लांट से पहले ध्यान रखें कि डॉक्टर कैसा है यानी क्या डॉक्टर हेयर ट्रांसप्लांट विशेषज्ञ है या फिर जनरल डॉक्टर. हेयर ट्रांसप्लांट के लिए विशेषज्ञ का ही चुनाव करें क्योंकि बार-बार हेयर ट्रांसप्लांट करवाना संभव नहीं होता.
क्या करें क्या ना करें-
* हेयर ट्रांसप्लांट से पहले आपको एक सप्ताह तक एस्पीरिन या किसी तरह की एंटीबायोटिक और हार्ड दवाईयां नहीं लेनी चाहिए. लेकिन किसी गंभीर बीमारी का इलाज चल रहा है तो इस बारे में डॉक्टर से जरूर कंसल्ट करना चाहिए.
* सर्जरी से एक सप्ताह पहले तक एल्कोहल, धूम्रपान और विटामिन ए, बी इत्यादि सप्लीमेंट्स भी नहीं लेने चाहिए.
सर्जरी से पहले आपको अपने बालों को सुबह-शाम दो बार अच्छी तरह से धोना चाहिए. लेकिन ध्यान रहें सर्जरी से पहले आप हेयर स्पा की प्रक्रिया को ना अपनाएं.
* आपको ढीले-ढाले कपड़े पहनने चाहिए ताकि सर्जरी के दौरान कोई समस्या ना आएं. हालांकि आप सर्जरी के बाद अपने सिर को खुला छोड़ सकते हैं.
* आपको अपने आने-जाने के लिए अच्छी सुविधा करनी चाहिए ताकि हेयर ट्रांसप्लांटेशन के आप क्लीनिक से अपने घर आराम से जा सकें.
* अगर आप डायबिटिक हैं तो आपको सर्जरी के दिन अपने डॉक्टर से कंसल्च करना चाहिए कि आपको इंसुलिन और डायबिटीज की टेबलेट्स कैसे लेनी चाहिए.
Look around you and you will certainly notice some of your friends already sporting bald patches or thinning hair even before they reach an age of 40. Until few years back, balding was seen as a sign of age or hereditary baldness but today, there are a number of factors such as stress, environmental pollution or hormonal changes that trigger hair loss or baldness. For all those suffering from this problem, the good news is that science has found a way to cover these bald patches and thicken thin hair through a surgical procedure known as hair transplant surgery.
Hair transplant surgery is of two types; follicular unit strip surgery (FUSS or FUT) and follicular unit extraction (FUE). The former involves removing a strip of the scalp from the back of the head and dividing it into thousands of grafts each with a few hair follicles. On the other hand, follicular unit extraction involves plucking the hair follicles out individually to be made into grafts. These grafts are then inserted into tiny incisions on the bald areas of the scalp. Depending on the size of an area to be covered, this procedure could take 4-8 hours.
Post surgery, the patient is prescribed some medication to relieve the pain and itching sensation. You should be able to return to work within a week. After 2 to 3 weeks of the process, the transplanted hair begins to fall out in order to make way from the new growth which may take up to few months. This is normal so do not stress yourself about this. Most people will notice 60% of new hair growth in 6 to 7 months. Full growth occurs in one year. In some cases, patients may be prescribed a hair growing drug such as minoxidil to improve the quality and speed of hair growth.
A hair transplant surgery does not address the cause for hair fall and hence in some cases, a repeat procedure becomes necessary.
The duration of the Hair Transplant is dependent on multiple factors. Namely:
1) The number of grafts being implanted
2) The procedure being followed
The number of grafts being implanted
Grafts or hair roots that are extracted and implanted in a procedure determine the duration of the surgery. Each graft can have 1-5 hair strands. Many clinics use hair and grafts interchangeably which is an unethical practice as each graft can contain 1-5 hair.
The Procedure being followed
Majorly, there are two types of Hair Transplant surgeries. (The other types are variants of these procedures)
FUE: Follicular Unit Extraction, as the name suggests, each hair unit is individually extracted i.e each graft is individually extracted. It is a very labour intensive process and the time of the surgery depends upon the experience of the Hair Transplant Team. we boast of a highly skilled Hair Transplant Team that can implant up to 3500 hair grafts in 8 hours.
FUT: Follicular Unit Transplant or Strip Hair Transplant, use a strip of the scalp to extract hair grafts. A strip of the scalp is cut and is handed over to an experienced technician to dissect and separate the hair grafts from. It usually takes 4 to 6 hours.
Below is a table that takes into account the procedure and the number of grafts to approximate the surgery time.
|Number of Grafts||Procedure Type||Number of Hours|
|1000 to 1500||FUE||6|
|1000 to 1500||FUT||4|
|1500 to 2500||FUE||7|
|1500 to 2500||FUT||5|
|2500 to 3500||FUE||8|
|2500 to 3500||FUT||6|
|More than 3500||FUE||Done over 2 Days|
|More than 3500||FUT||8|
Who doesn't love a head full of thick, lush and healthy hair? It not only enhances our appearance, but also makes us look and feel young and spirited. So naturally, losing hair in copious amounts or going bald can be a nightmare for many. But with the hair transplant procedure, you can easily get a head full of hair and regain your confidence.
Hair transplant revolves around the surgical removal of hair follicles from a donor site of a body to a balding patch which is called the recipient site. The process is minimally invasive, and grafts containing hair follicles which are resistant to balding, are transplanted to the bald spot. This method is also used for restoring eyebrows, eyelashes, chest hair, beard hair, pubic hair and for filling in accident or surgical scars.
Here is a closer look at how hair transplant is conducted:
After cleaning your scalp, the surgeon will inject a medicine to make the back of your head numb.
FUSS procedure: In FUSS, the surgeon will remove a strip of skin, 6 to 10 inches in length, from the back of your head. He will then sew back that portion of the scalp, and it will be hidden by the hair surrounding it. Next, the removed skin strip will be divided into 500 to 2000 minute grafts, with each containing a single hair or a couple of hairs. The type and number of grafts will be based on your hair quality, type, color and the dimensions of the recipient site.
FUE procedure: In FUE, the surgeon will shave the back of your scalp and remove the follicles one by one. The concerned area will heal with small dots and the surrounding hair will conceal it.
FUE technique is the latest and has least complication rates. It is one of the most widely accepted method of hair transplantation due to less bleeding, no linear scarring, faster recovery and better cosmetic acceptability of donor area.
In both the methods of transplant, after the graft is prepared, the surgeon will clean and numb the area where the hair needs to be transplanted to. He will then create slits or holes with a needle or scalpel and carefully place each graft in each hole. It might take 4 to 8 hours for the entire procedure to be conducted. And if you want thicker hair, more sessions might be required.
Here is a look at the other aspects of hair transplantation:
Recovery: Your scalp maybe tender post surgery and you may require painmedicines for quite some time. Antibiotics and anti-inflammatory drugs may also be prescribed. You will be able to get back to work in 2 to 5 days after the procedure.
What to expect: Though in 2 to 3 weeks after the surgical process, your transplanted hair will fall off, you will notice new hair growth in a few months. Often, 60-80% hair grow back in 6-8 months.
Risks: Bleeding, infections, scarring and unnatural hair growth are some of the risks associated with hair transplantation. When new hair begins to grow, some people complain of inflammation of the hair follicles, but this can be resolved with medication.
Like good health and youth, most of us take our locks for granted, until they're gone. For many people, a hair transplant can help bring back what looks like a full - or at least a fuller - head of hair.
A hair transplant is a procedure in which a dermatological surgeon moves hair to a bald area of the head. The surgeon usually moves hair from the back or side of the head to the front or top of the head. Hair transplants typically occur in a medical office under local anesthesia.
Receiving a hair transplant can improve your appearance and self-confidence.
Good candidates for a hair transplant are:
Hair replacement isn't a good option for:
Care Post Operation:
After the surgery, your scalp may be very tender. You may need to take pain medications for several days. You will be prescribed an antibiotic or an anti-inflammatory drug to take for several days. Most people are able to return to work 2 to 5 days after the operation. The treated area should be protected from the sun. If you wish to discuss any specific problem, you can consult a cosmetic-plastic-surgeon.