Gestational Diabetes - 10 Ways It Can Be Managed!
Written and reviewed by
MBBS, MD - Obstetrtics & Gynaecology
During the time between 24th to 28th weeks of your pregnancy, you might develop a high level of glucose in your blood stream; this is known as gestational diabetes, and it affects the cells in the blood and how they absorb and use the glucose.
Ten best remedies which can prevent or control this problem are as follows:
- Regular monitoring of the level of blood sugar: Prevention is always better than cure, especially if you are at risk. When you are an expecting mother, you need to monitor the blood sugar level before having food and after two hours of the meal as many times as you can in a day. Fasting sugar level must not exceed 95mg/dl and the postprandial level after 2 hours must be within 120mg/dl.
- Healthy start to the day with a healthy breakfast: You must have a low-fat breakfast like yogurt, oatmeal, cereals made of whole grains and porridge. Your breakfast should have an adequate amount of starch as well as protein, and you must avoid milk during the meal. Even fruits are not good for your body in the early morning.
- Maintaining the carbs: If you have gestational diabetes or want to prevent it, the best way is to manage the intake of carbohydrates in your meals. You should have the complex Carbs as they prevent fluctuation in the insulin levels and thus the blood sugar level is controlled.
- High fibrous food: For maintaining the blood sugar level during pregnancy, you need to have an adequate amount of fiber in your meals. It helps in controlling the sugar level in the blood by inhibiting the excess release of the insulin. You can have beans, cereals, pulses, dried peas and the fruit and vegetables with low glycemic index.
- Exercise can help all: Exercise is the way to prevent any diabetes and so is gestational diabetes. Moreover, exercise is mandatory during the pregnancy to have a healthy term and baby. Pregnant women must ask their trainer which activities are suitable for them. The blood sugar level is controlled through proper glucose metabolism, and also it reduces the resistance to the insulin.
- Go sugar-free: It is better to use sugar-free products and consciously lessen the amount of sugar in your food items if you want to control gestational diabetes.
- Cinnamon tea your best friend: To stimulate the metabolism rate of glucose, you can have cinnamon as it has bioactive elements which control the glucose, cholesterol, etc.
- Get sufficient sleep: Listen to your body and give it the rest it needs and it will help maintain good health in general which included a stable blood glucose level.
- Stress management: The most important way to control glucose level is to manage the stress in your mind.
- Take your medicines on time: If you have gestational diabetes, take the prescribed medication promptly as per your doctor's advice.
2948 people found this helpful