"Let food be thy medicine, and medicine be thy food." - famous quote by the ancient Greek physician Hippocrates, often known as 'the father of medicine'. He used to prescribe garlic to treat a variety of medical conditions.
Garlic is low in calories and high in nutrients, containing vitamin C, vitamin B6, fiber, manganese and selenium. It contains a compound known as allicin, which has been proved to prevent blood clotting, lower cholesterol levels, and found to have antibacterial properties. This very spice is a natural immunity booster that helps the body fight infections.
From consuming raw garlic cloves to adding them for flavors, every application of this spice comes with a host of health benefits. And, sipping a cup of garlic tea every morning is known to work wonders on your body.
Benefits of Garlic Tea
- Keeps Heart Healthy: LDL (Low-Density Lipoprotein) is a bad cholesterol and is known to spell doom for the heart as it triggers Arteriosclerosis. Daily consumption of garlic tea can help lower down the LDL levels significantly, keeping the heart healthy and disease-free.
- Boosts Immunity: Garlic, scientific name Allium sativum, contains the active compound Allicin. Allicin comes packed with antibacterial and antifungal properties and is known to strengthen the immune system significantly. Thus, a cup of garlic tea can help shield the body from various harmful infections and pathogens.
- Aids Weight Loss: Garlic tea stimulates the metabolism, which can increase passive fat burning and aid weight loss efforts, while also partially suppressing the appetite.
- Improves Respiratory System: If cold, cough, chest or sinus congestion and related complications are giving you sleepless night, a cup of garlic tea is all that you need to keep all these problems at bay.
- Slows Down The Skin-aging Process: Skin aging can be quite frustrating. But not anymore. Laden with antioxidants, vitamin A, C, B1, and B2, garlic tea protects the skin from the oxidative damage triggered by the free radicals, thereby slowing down the skin-aging process considerably.
- Anti-Cancer Properties: Research suggests that garlic has anti-carcinogenic properties. Thus, drinking a cup of garlic tea early in the morning (on empty stomach) can work wonders to prevent different types of cancer.
- Keeps Your Liver Healthy: Drink a cup of garlic tea daily and your liver will thank you for long. Garlic contains Allicin and Selenium, both of which play a pivotal role in keeping the liver healthy.
- Regulates Blood Pressure: Many people with a high blood pressure have benefited immensely from drinking garlic tea.
Things To Be Taken Care Of:
- For maximum benefits and to ensure that the activity of Allicin remains intact, always chop the garlic cloves and wait for at least 10 minutes before heating it.
- Though it is extremely beneficial, an excess of garlic consumption may give rise to complications such as nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, heartburn, dizziness, to name a few. So, make sure to consume it in moderate amount.
Preparing Your Cup Of Health:
The preparation of garlic tea is no herculean task. In fact, it is much easier than finding a coffee shop that offers it on the menu.
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 3 cups of water
- 2 tablespoons of honey
- 1/2 cup of lemon juice
Method of preparation
Step 1 – Put the finely chopped cloves into the water and bring it to boil.
Step 2 – Turn off the heat and add honey & lemon to the tea, stir it well.
Your garlic tea is ready to be served. If you are taking any medications, talk to our experts & get a consultation before increasing your garlic consumption.