Role of Homeopathy in Treating Digestive Problems
Digestive system is an intricate part of your body, spanning from the mouth to the anus. It plays a very important role in helping your body absorb essential nutrients as well as get rid of the waste that forms after digestion. Like every system in the body, it also gets plagued by health problems such as constipation, diarrhea, acid reflux or hemorrhoids.
How can homeopathy help in treating problems concerning your body's digestive system?
Homeopathy uses a single remedy to treat a condition irrespective of the number of organs or systems involved. It is an effective, safe and gentle treatment for curing digestion problems without any side effects. This is because the homeopathic medicines are derived from minerals, herbs or animal products. The ingredients are crushed and dissolved, shaken well and diluted till none of the original product exists anymore. The more diluted the substance is, the more its healing properties are believed to be.
Various digestive disorders like indigestion, stomach ache, gas ulcers, constipation, diarrhea, irritable bowel syndrome and heartburn can be treated with homeopathy. The remedies that homeopathy make use of help the body to correct its imbalance without causing any side effects.
Homeopathic remedies go to the underlying cause of the problem. When an individual experiences a stomach ache the body signals that something is not right within his or her body. Painkillers can help in controlling the pain for a short amount of time but it cannot treat the underlying imbalance.
A homeopath carefully selects a remedy for the digestive disorder keeping in mind the patient's emotional and physical factors along with his or her eating habits and lifestyle.
For instance: 'Nux Vomica' would be a good Homeopathic remedy for stomach problems when you feel heartburn that occurs after having coffee, spicy food or alcohol; however 'Pulsatilla' acts better for dealing with the gastric problems due to consumption of fatty food like pastries, or fried foods.
If you would like to consult with me privately, please click on 'Consult'.
How to Relieve Constipation Quickly and Naturally-
Constipation is a very common digestive disorder that affects people of all age groups.constipation is caused due to improper functioning of the bowels and this happens due to a lack of dietary fiber or water in the diet. The main causes of constipation are faulty diet, lack of exercise, diabetes, high blood pressure, insomnia or irritable bowel syndrome.
Precaution For Constipation:
• If you do not respond to nature’s call, then withholding of stool may lead to constipation.
• Do not force yourself to clear the bowels, as exertion of undue pressure may cause anal fissures and piles.
• Here we list some natural ways to relieve from constipation
• Lemon juice is a good laxative. It is one of the most effective remedies for constipation. Extract the juice from lemon and add it to a glass of warm water, then add honey and rock salt into it. Drink daily early in the morning on empty stomach.
• Crush the seeds of Isabgol (Psyllium). Then mix 2 tea spoons of that crushed powder in a cup of hot water and drink.
• Drink Dandelion tea. It has a mild laxative effect
• Say Good bye to coffee and Tea
• Cut down on smoking/drinking
• Include more green vegetables and fresh fruits in your regular diet chart.
• Flax seeds are rich in fiber which is good for constipation and stimulating digestion.
• Drink hot cup of milk. It stimulates the colon.
• Take long morning walks as they help you to move food through your bowel.
• Include baked beans, figs, kidney beans, peanuts, dates, apples, sprouts in your diet.
• Raw spinach juice mixed with water should be taken twice daily.
Some Unani Compound medicines helpful in constipation are;
1. Itrifal Mulaiyan
2. Qurs e Muqil
3. Qurs e Mulaiyan
4. Itrifal Zamani
5. Jawarish Shaharyaran
6. Jawarish Tamarhindi
7. Habb e Usara etc
This happens due to some other underlying health conditions like ulcers or gastric problems. The symptoms of this condition will be obvious in most cases and many people complain about uncomfortable feeling in the abdominal region during this condition. The stomach can become bloated due to gas and it can also be painful in some cases. Apart from other health conditions, it can also get triggered due to excessive consumption of alcohol and stress-related disorders. You can also get this condition when you are taking some other medication or when you are pregnant. There are many ways in which you can prevent indigestion and you need to follow a healthy lifestyle to get relief from this problem. It can also be treated easily using over the counter medication and by eating small meals at regular intervals.
Symptoms of Indigestion
- Having an uncomfortable feeling in the stomach region is the most common symptom of this problem. Many people feel full even before eating the complete meal as the digestive juices produce gas in the stomach region and give this feeling.
- Some patients also experience mild to severe pain in the abdomen region when they are affected by this problem. The pain will be severe in some cases and it can last for many hours when you are not able to digest food completely.
- Due to the excessive production of digestive juices and the upward movement of the acids in the body, it is common for many people to experience heartburn. In other cases, they may also notice a burning sensation in the stomach during this phase.
- Other than that, some patients also complain about bloating of the stomach and this happens usually after eating meals. While it is normal for you to feel this for a couple of minutes after having a heavy meal, this can last for several hours when you are suffering from indigestion problems.
- It is rare to experience weight loss due to this problem and it only happens when this becomes too often and starts affecting your capacity to eat food normally.
- In most cases, people feel tired due to this condition as this causes uneasiness in the abdomen region and it affects your overall normal functioning of the body.
Causes of Indigestion
- Many factors can cause indigestion and they differ a lot from different patients. In some cases, it can be eating more than what is required and this can happen when the digestive system is not very effective.
- In other cases, it can also be due to eating food very quickly. In this situation, the digestive juices will not be able to break down the food particles effectively and it leads to indigestion.
- Many patients suffer from this condition when they eat foods that are too spicy or that are too greasy. The acids in the body will not be able to digest the food properly in this situation and it will produce more acids than required to handle the food.
- You are also likely to suffer from this problem when you drink too much caffeine or alcohol. This hampers the normal functioning of the digestive system and the acid production in the body will not be regulated properly due to this situation.
- It is also proved that smoking can affect the digestion in a big way as this usually damages the lining of the digestive tract and creates various complications in the long run.
- Many people also suffer due to the medication they take for other health issues. In this situation, you should always consult your doctor and choose the suitable diet that will help you to manage the situation.
- Indigestion is also triggered when you are suffering from various health conditions like ulcers and gastric problems. Patients having stomach cancer will also face this issue for a long time due to complications. In the same manner, when the intestine is having some issues with blockage or reduced flow of blood, you are likely to suffer from indigestion.
Diagnosis of Indigestion
- The first stage of diagnosis begins with evaluating your symptoms and you will later be advised to go for other tests. The method of diagnosis also depends on your age and your existing health condition. If you are suffering from any health conditions, you may be suggested to undergo many tests to determine the cause of this problem.
- In normal cases, even thyroid problems can create indigestion in many people and a proper test will help the doctors to identify the exact cause of this problem. If you are suffering from thyroid issues, you will have to undergo suitable treatment to balance the hormones in the body.
- When the issue is suspected to be with the digestive tract, you will have to undergo endoscopy test and even a biopsy may be done at this stage to determine the exact nature of the problem. This is usually suggested when you are suffering from indigestion on a regular basis.
- In extreme cases, even a CT scan may be recommended to check for any problems with the intestinal tract and this will give the doctors a complete idea about your overall health condition.
Prevention of Indigestion
- The best thing you can do to avoid this condition is to eat slowly and at regular intervals. Remember that eating heavy meals can sometimes trigger this problem. Try to divide the food into small portions and eat them at regular intervals throughout the day. This will put less burden on the digestive system and you will not suffer from indigestion.
- It is also known that foods that are high in acid content can trigger indigestion in many people. You can also avoid caffeine in the same manner and instead choose other healthy drinks that will be gentle on your digestive system.
- You should avoid excessive smoking as this can cause a lot of complications and interfere with the normal working of the digestive system. In the same manner, alcohol consumption can also damage the protective lining of the stomach and cause indigestion.
- It is always a good idea to relax for some time after you had a heavy meal. Always make it a point to not work out when you are full as this will interfere with the digestion process. Similarly, do not go to sleep immediately after eating as this will reduce the ability of the body to digest food properly. You should at least give a few hours of a gap after eating food before you go to sleep.
- If you are suffering from regular indigestion due to an underlying health condition, you can get relief by elevating your pillow while sleeping. This will ensure that the digestive acids will not move upwards and cause heartburn and other complications.
- You should also discuss your problem with your doctor and make a list of foods that are known to trigger indigestion in your body. In this way, you can avoid such foods and stay away from this problem in the future.
Treatment for Indigestion
- The most common method of treating this condition is with making suitable changes to your lifestyle and eating habits. You should always pay attention to what you eat and also maintain proper timings. This will keep your digestive system in proper order.
- Apart from that, you should also reduce the stress levels as this will trigger indigestion without any other reasons. You can also workout regularly to provide suitable strength to your body and this will increase your metabolism and boost digestion.
- If any medication is triggering this condition in your body, you need to find suitable alternatives for them. Speaking to your doctor about this will help you in many ways and you can easily get rid of this problem in quick time.
- It is also suggested that you reduce the intake of alcohol and also stop smoking as this hampers your digestive system. It can also create other health complications in the long run and you should always cut down on this usage in the future.
- When you have this problem on a regular basis, using medication will give you good results. Many patients get temporary relief from symptoms by using antacids and other prescription medicine. You can also visit your doctor to find the suitable medication that will help you to get rid of these symptoms.
- Finally, you should lead an active lifestyle and eat foods that are suited for your body. You will easily understand what suits you best and you can follow them in the future to avoid this problem.
Complications of Indigestion
- You need to understand that indigestion by itself does not cause any major complications. In most cases, you will get relief within a couple of days when this happens due to a gastric problem or other minor issues.
- However, when this is happening due to any other existing health conditions, it may take a while before you get relief from this problem. In this situation, you will have trouble eating food and digesting it properly.
- This can lead to nausea or diarrhoea in many cases and you are likely to get tired due to this condition. The best way to treat this condition is to concentrate on the symptoms and you can treat the underlying condition at a later stage.
- You will have an uncomfortable feeling in the stomach that will affect your everyday activities. Most people suffering from this problem miss out on their regular tasks and they may not be able to attend work in a normal way.
- Apart from these things, there are no major long-term implications of this condition and you need not worry about this problem.
Myths about Indigestion
Myth #1: Indigestion affects only adults:
While it is true that many patients suffering from this condition are adults, it can even affect kids. However, when you compare the recurrence of this condition, it is seen that adults have more tendency to frequently encounter this problem than kids. This can also be attributed to the weakening digestive system due to old age and lifestyle problems.
Myth #2: Indigestion is always painful:
This is completely false and it need not have to be painful all the time. In most cases, it just causes some discomfort and you may experience burning sensation. The symptoms need not persist for a long duration and most patients experience them only for a short duration of time. The symptoms will usually go away after few hours on its own and you need not even take medication for mild problems.
Myth #3: There is no way to prevent indigestion:
you can easily prevent this problem by following the guidelines of your dietician and doctor. Always make sure that you eat in small quantities and also at regular intervals rather than eating heavy meals at once. This will give your body plenty of time to digest the food and it will not be overloaded. In this manner, it will work effectively and the digestive acids produced in the body will not create any uncomfortable symptoms.
Everyone suffers from this problem at some point or other in their lives and there is no need to worry about this condition unless it happens on a regular basis. In most cases, you will get relief as soon the underlying condition that is causing indigestion gets resolved. You can, however, use some medication to get quick relief from symptoms and this will be more than enough to treat this problem in most cases. You should focus on the ways in which you can prevent them in the future as this can come back again at any time depending on your lifestyle and eating habits. For this reason, you should always pay attention to what you eat and try to divide them between equal intervals during the day. This will give your body enough time to digest the food properly and you will not face the indigestion problem in the future. It does not cause major complications in most cases and you will be able to get treatment easily for this problem.
The word "Spearmint" probably reminds you of your favorite chewing gum. However, this special type of mint and has far reaching benefits than just a gum, some known and some unknown. Its value lies in its leaves that are used in many cultures as a part of daily recipes. Apart from that, the leaves are used to prepare a host of products such as toothpaste and mouthwash. They are also used medicinally and are one of the predominant medicines used in Ayurveda. Let us look at some of the benefits of using Spearmint.
Health benefits of spearmint
The food you eat plays an important role in your gastrointestinal health. Some foods can be difficult to digest and lead to bloating and heartburn while others increase the healthy bacteria in your gut and make digestion easier.
The human digestive system is a very complicated and sizeable component of the body. It starts right at the beginning of the mouth, ending at the rectum. Some of the major responsibilities of the digestive system include absorption of essential nutrients and elimination of wastes.
Not only do digestive problems have embarrassing and unwanted symptoms, serious, chronic diseases can be caused if the minor problems are not treated.
Some digestive problems are listed below:
Possible Serious Conditions-
A gastroenterologist is a type of doctor that specializes in diagnosing and treating diseases involving the digestive system. If you continue to experience digestion problems, it’s time to make an appointment.
More serious signs could mean an emergency medical problem. Those signs include:
You may be able to overcome digestion problems with treatment and lifestyle changes. Certain diseases of the digestive system might be long-term, but medications can help alleviate symptoms.
Identifying specific digestion problems and talking with a gastroenterologist can go a long way in terms of helping your doctor give you a proper diagnosis. Remember, you don’t have to put up with constant digestive issues.
Yoga has been touted amongst the best and the most effective, time-tested and natural ways to eliminate various diseases and problems with the body as well as the mind. It is an antiquated craftsmanship that strengthens the body as well as relaxes the brain with the right dose of mindfulness as well. Yoga tends to stimulate the nervous system and the endocrine, digestive and circulatory systems and improves the functioning of the same.
Yoga is a holistic routine that strengthens the body physically and also mentally. Subsequently, the body’s immune system additionally enhances in such a condition. A sound life can be effortlessly accomplished if we figure out how to embrace a healthier way of life, healthy food decisions, and standard routines of yoga and meditation. Ayurveda, yoga and meditation are the perfect variables to carry on with a sound life.
Yoga is not an alternative option to medicines. It is a careful step to keep infections under control. Along these lines, one need not sit tight waiting for the seasonal flu to affect the body because it can be cured effortlessly with yoga.
In today's stressful life, we have so much to focus on, whether it's juggling work, family or friends. In this rut, our eating habits go for a toss and we forget what our mothers have been telling us since we were kids, to eat our vegetables. Green leafy vegetables are the roughage we need to keep our digestive systems functioning well and protect us from developing serious illnesses such as cancer.
Yes, you read it right! Adding a recommended portion of greens to our diet is a really promising way of reducing the risk of cancer for an average person. While it has to be admitted that they may not always taste great, by a long shot, mothers have been right in forcing their kids to eat their quota.
In fact, the ancient medicinal field of Ayurveda justifies this as it says the vegetables are required to replenish the body of its juices. Also, there has been scientific research which has been able to link lower cancer rates with people who consume green and yellow vegetables.
So, now that it is well known that these vegetables are good for us, the question is how we go about including them in our diets.
That brings us, to the selection of the green vegetables. One should remember that these vegetables usually shrink on being cooked, so he or she should account for that. What a person is going to select really depends on his or her taste but Swiss chard, sorrel and turnip greens are just some options, along with collard, the wonder health food that is kale, and even the simple, well known spinach which is much maligned among children around the world!
Also, it is very important to make sure the vegetables are washed adequately. An additional thing to be kept in mind is that it is not good to cook these vegetables in cookware that is made out of aluminium. This alters the taste of the vegetables.
The health benefits of vegetables like these goes well beyond reducing the risk of an individual to cancer. The amount of iron in the blood, also called haemoglobin, is given a mega boost by consuming dark green vegetables. The array of health benefits even apart from this is just so immense, to say the very least. Vitamins A, B1, B2 as well as K are just some of the vitamins which green vegetables are rich in. Other than that, these vegetables are replete with magnesium, potassium and so much else!
After all this, there is no reason not to have green leafy vegetables on a daily basis. Mothers' wisdom can't really be argued with, right?
Can beer be a healthy drink? Despite the common myths surrounding alcohol consumption and the adverse effects that it has on a person in the long run, a controlled and well-balanced intake of beer is not as bad as it would seem.
Here are a few reasons proving that beer can be healthy for you if taken in the right amount and quantity :
1. In comparison to other alcoholic beverages, beer is relatively healthier for your kidneys. As a matter of fact, studies show that a bottle of beer can actually reduce the risk of acquiring kidney stones by up to 40%.
2. Fiber, as we all know, plays a vital role in digestion. The presence of up to one gram of soluble fiber in just a 30 ml glass of beer (dark beer, in particular) makes the beverage very beneficial for digestion.
3. Fiber present in beer can also help reduce the level of LDL cholesterol (a harmful proponent of cholesterol).
4. It has been proved that beer is a rich source of various B vitamins like vitamin B1, vitamin B2, vitamin B6 and vitamin B12.
5. The presence of both nicotinic acid and Lactoflavin in beer makes it an effective cure for insomnia.
6. Beer is also helpful in the prevention of blood clots.
7. The presence of high levels of silicon in beer is responsible for bestowing a stronger bone density.
8. Studies have concluded that beer can also reduce the risk of suffering a heart attack.
9. Unlike their non-drinking counterparts, beer drinkers are less vulnerable of experiencing dementia or Alzheimer's disease.
10. Because of the presence of certain vitamins, beer has a ton healthy nourishing benefits for the skin.
11. Beer is also useful in fighting against stress.
What are the recommended safe limits of Beer?
- Men should drink no more than 14 units of Beer per week, these units should be spread out through the week and they should have at least two alcohol-free days a week.
- Women should drink no more than 14 units of Beer per week, these units should be spread out through the week and they should have at least two alcohol-free days a week.
- Pregnant women or women trying to conceive should not drink alcohol at all. If they do choose to drink, to minimise the risk to the baby, they should not drink more than 1-2 units of beer once or twice a week and should not get drunk.
Despite the above people with increased Triglyceride, Uric Acid should be restricted for consumption of alcohol. People with fatty liver patient with other medication for hypertension, etc. also should refrain from drinking.
People with diabetes who drink should follow these alcohol consumption guidelines :
1. Do not drink more than two drinks of alcohol in a one-day period if you are a man, or one drink if you are a woman.
2. Drink beer only with food.
3. Drink slowly.
4. Avoid "sugary" mixed drinks, sweet wines, or cordials.
Kapha is essentially composed out of earth and water components. It is heavy, slow, cool, sleek, smooth, delicate, thick, stable, gross, and cloudy. Kapha provides structure and robustness to all things; it gives the cohesiveness needed to maintain a particular form. Kapha additionally hydrates all cells and frameworks, lubricates the joints, saturates the skin, maintains immunity and safeguards the tissues. Kapha is often associated with water energy, and with love and compassion.
The kapha body is physically solid, compact and wide with extensive thighs, hips, bums, and chest and has a tendency to be perpetually overweight. Kapha types ordinarily have large, appealing eyes that are blue or dark in color. Their skin is fair, cool and always glowing. Kapha hair is thick, extravagant, and abundant, typically blond or dark, and wavy. Kapha individuals tend to over-produce mucus and other milky secretions, and their voices are delicate, regularly obstructed by excess mucus. Kapha types are extremely elegant, have a natural, erotic sensuality about them, and are generally very fertile.
Kapha individuals love heat and they suffer in cold, damp climates. Kapha types emanate strength and balance, to such an extent that vata and pitta types are frequently replenished by simply being in their essence. Kapha types are dedicated however they generally prefer to lay low, even to the point of lethargy. Due to their inclination towards laziness, kapha types do best to focus on a non-sedantory life, following a strict schedule that keeps them moving. Among all the doshas, kapha types can persist and advantage from the most intense forms of exercise. Ideally, a kapha type would rise before 6 a.m., take a bath and perform a solid workout before breakfast.
Diet to be consumed-
How to consume the diet
With regard to pacifying Kapha, how we eat can profoundly affect our level of progress. Kapha does well to stick to three meals each day, and sometimes only two meals are adequate. It's likewise best to eat your meals at consistent times from one day to the next. You can additionally kindle a sluggish digestive fire around 30 minutes before lunch and dinner by chewing a piece of fresh ginger with a pinch of sea salt, a couple of drops of lime juice, and about ¼ teaspoon nectar. This readies the digestive framework to get the food and to process it viably. Amid meals, it is essential to eat in a quiet and peaceful domain and to give your complete attention to the process of being nourished so that your body shows satisfaction. This will help lessen overeating and emotional eating, which frequently torments kapha. Fast foods, desserts and exorbitant amount of bread and other comfort foods can be particularly kapha provoking. However, it might be difficult to stay away from all kapha-exasperating nourishments. Though, the impeding capability of these nourishments can be limited by ensuring that they are served warm, with the help of heating medicinal plants, and taken in small quantities as recommend by Ayurveda. Lastly, because kapha digestion is generally slow and has a tendency to manage vitality with or without food, occasional fasts or cleanses can be exceptionally useful. A fruit or juice (think apple or pomegranate), or a more extended mono eating routine of kitchari can be exceptionally supportive.
Kapha sleep and energy cycles
Kapha individuals can sleep for long durations, for the most part on their stomachs or in the fetal position. They commonly sleep for eight to twelve hours for every night and can indulge on more sleep than they truly require. Ideally, kapha types require to sleep for around seven hours each night. If a kapha individual sleeps past 6 a.m. when kapha becomes dominating in the environment they may find it quiet hard to get up from the bed, and may encounter an enduring feeling of heaviness and laziness throughout the day. Thus, kapha individuals do really great when they wake up before 6 a.m. Read more on how to remove kapha from body.