There are a number of digestive problems that can affect a patient, depending on one's diet and daily routine. Indigestion, acidity, loose motions and even constipation are some of the common ailments and conditions that many of us experience. Obstruction in defecation is also one such condition that may be caused by consuming certain kinds of food or due to the digestive health in general. Obstructive defecation syndrome (ODS) is a wide term used to depict the state of patients with defecatory blockage or constipation. These frequently encountered disorders affect 18% of the population .
The condition can be diagnosed by a general physical or a gastroenterologist by using the following parameters:
Besides aches and pains, the other symptoms include the following:
Many people are embarrassed to talk about their urine colour or urine problem with anybody, including their doctor. But, what people always forget is that strong smelling urine and the change in the colour of the urine is a serious issue. Your urine colour directly tells you about your health, especially your inner body. So, without being embarrassed you should consult a doctor, if and when, you find foul odour in your urine. Following are some of the reasons for the causes of strong smelling urine.
There are multiple causes of strong smelling urine but most of them could be cured easily if diagnosed immediately. But in order to avoid this issue it is better to be careful with your diet and drink a lot of water. At least three litres of water a day is an absolute necessity!
Everyone has heard the advice 'drink eight ounce glasses of water a day', which is popularly known as 8 by 8 rule. Another popular advice is 'drink 4 glasses of water empty stomach', aka Usha Paana Chikitsa, a term used widely in Ayurveda. People advocate intake of water on empty stomach, describing how it cleanses the body and cures wide range of diseases starting from allergies to Cancer. Messages regarding its benefits are forwarded in whatsapp groups and on facebook as if it’s the elixir of life as described in the world renowned book 'The Alchemist'.
Usha Paana in Ayurveda
Originally described in Rasayan Adhyaay of Ashtang Hruday, it has been stated that a person who drinks Sheetodak i.e cold water early morning will continue to remain young. Many people start following this process
blindly without understanding the fine details involved.
Half the people who practice Usha Paan Chikitsa, drink water to help them get relieved of constipation, which is actually bad for their health. It is as if they try to push the stool out from their body by drinking excess water.
Relation of water intake and meals:
'Sam Sthula Krusha Bhukta Madhya Antah Prathama Ambu Pah'
A simple sutra mentioned in DravDravyadi Vidyaaneya Adhyay describing effects of water intake while having food, after intake of food and before intake of food.
Here drinking water just before meals will make the person get a feeling of fullness and hence automatically, his food intake will decrease. Of course he has to stop eating as soon as his hunger is satiated. He should not eat food just because he eats that much quantity everyday.
To know the quantity of appetite a person should have just consider to divide your hunger/appetite in four parts. Consume food, which will fill two parts. Have one part water and keep the remaining one part of your appetite empty.
Another advice we get from many people, especially from Naturopathy is to not have any water during meals Have a jug (450 ml and above) full of water after 40 Mins of consumption of food.
Firstly this advice has nothing to do with Ayurved. Naturopathy and Ayurved are not even closely related.
We Ayurved practitoners follow the sutra given below :
Ajirne Bheshajam Waari Jirne Waari BalPradam
Bhojane Cha Amrutam Waari Bhojanaante VishPradam
How much water intake should be considered necessary?
A very tricky question as it has got no straight answer. Every person's need varies according to their body needs as well as their line of work. This can be easily explained by an example, A businessman,a farmer,an army man all work for eight hours. Business man is sitting in an A.C office. The farmer is toiling in the Sun. The Army man is guarding our border in the Desert. Will each of them require the same quantity of water? The answer is definitely NO. The same way, even if you are living together in the same family every member's water intake need will be different. To come up with a general statement which can be useful for everyone, it can be said that instead of having 8 ounces glass of water a day kindly.
'Remember to have 8 ounces of fluid (liquid in any form) a Day''
Maximum researchers/Doctors agree with the above statement. Fluid means any liquid. It may be soup, juice, dal etc. Next time you come across advice regarding water intake, I hope information shared by me will help you take the correct step.
Obesity is rapidly evolving as a public health issue for our country, and as educated people we are responsible in contributing to the ever increasing problem. So, what is there that leads to weight gain despite our all effort? The simplest answer is ignorance!
Most of the people who are trying hard to curb on weight gain do not succeed in doing so due to inadequate and poor gathered information. Remaining hungry is not the solution for weight loss and we need to inculcate good habits in ourselves smartly to sustain it for a long time, else you will lose kilos in few months and regain much more than that in lesser time. This cycle would continue until we understand the basics of healthy eating.
So, the important aspect is to make consistent and slow changes in our lifestyle to sustain ideal weight.
So, to avoid being obese, eat healthy and exercise regularly!
This happens due to some other underlying health conditions like ulcers or gastric problems. The symptoms of this condition will be obvious in most cases and many people complain about uncomfortable feeling in the abdominal region during this condition. The stomach can become bloated due to gas and it can also be painful in some cases. Apart from other health conditions, it can also get triggered due to excessive consumption of alcohol and stress-related disorders. You can also get this condition when you are taking some other medication or when you are pregnant. There are many ways in which you can prevent indigestion and you need to follow a healthy lifestyle to get relief from this problem. It can also be treated easily using over the counter medication and by eating small meals at regular intervals.
Symptoms of Indigestion
- Having an uncomfortable feeling in the stomach region is the most common symptom of this problem. Many people feel full even before eating the complete meal as the digestive juices produce gas in the stomach region and give this feeling.
- Some patients also experience mild to severe pain in the abdomen region when they are affected by this problem. The pain will be severe in some cases and it can last for many hours when you are not able to digest food completely.
- Due to the excessive production of digestive juices and the upward movement of the acids in the body, it is common for many people to experience heartburn. In other cases, they may also notice a burning sensation in the stomach during this phase.
- Other than that, some patients also complain about bloating of the stomach and this happens usually after eating meals. While it is normal for you to feel this for a couple of minutes after having a heavy meal, this can last for several hours when you are suffering from indigestion problems.
- It is rare to experience weight loss due to this problem and it only happens when this becomes too often and starts affecting your capacity to eat food normally.
- In most cases, people feel tired due to this condition as this causes uneasiness in the abdomen region and it affects your overall normal functioning of the body.
Causes of Indigestion
- Many factors can cause indigestion and they differ a lot from different patients. In some cases, it can be eating more than what is required and this can happen when the digestive system is not very effective.
- In other cases, it can also be due to eating food very quickly. In this situation, the digestive juices will not be able to break down the food particles effectively and it leads to indigestion.
- Many patients suffer from this condition when they eat foods that are too spicy or that are too greasy. The acids in the body will not be able to digest the food properly in this situation and it will produce more acids than required to handle the food.
- You are also likely to suffer from this problem when you drink too much caffeine or alcohol. This hampers the normal functioning of the digestive system and the acid production in the body will not be regulated properly due to this situation.
- It is also proved that smoking can affect the digestion in a big way as this usually damages the lining of the digestive tract and creates various complications in the long run.
- Many people also suffer due to the medication they take for other health issues. In this situation, you should always consult your doctor and choose the suitable diet that will help you to manage the situation.
- Indigestion is also triggered when you are suffering from various health conditions like ulcers and gastric problems. Patients having stomach cancer will also face this issue for a long time due to complications. In the same manner, when the intestine is having some issues with blockage or reduced flow of blood, you are likely to suffer from indigestion.
Diagnosis of Indigestion
- The first stage of diagnosis begins with evaluating your symptoms and you will later be advised to go for other tests. The method of diagnosis also depends on your age and your existing health condition. If you are suffering from any health conditions, you may be suggested to undergo many tests to determine the cause of this problem.
- In normal cases, even thyroid problems can create indigestion in many people and a proper test will help the doctors to identify the exact cause of this problem. If you are suffering from thyroid issues, you will have to undergo suitable treatment to balance the hormones in the body.
- When the issue is suspected to be with the digestive tract, you will have to undergo endoscopy test and even a biopsy may be done at this stage to determine the exact nature of the problem. This is usually suggested when you are suffering from indigestion on a regular basis.
- In extreme cases, even a CT scan may be recommended to check for any problems with the intestinal tract and this will give the doctors a complete idea about your overall health condition.
Prevention of Indigestion
- The best thing you can do to avoid this condition is to eat slowly and at regular intervals. Remember that eating heavy meals can sometimes trigger this problem. Try to divide the food into small portions and eat them at regular intervals throughout the day. This will put less burden on the digestive system and you will not suffer from indigestion.
- It is also known that foods that are high in acid content can trigger indigestion in many people. You can also avoid caffeine in the same manner and instead choose other healthy drinks that will be gentle on your digestive system.
- You should avoid excessive smoking as this can cause a lot of complications and interfere with the normal working of the digestive system. In the same manner, alcohol consumption can also damage the protective lining of the stomach and cause indigestion.
- It is always a good idea to relax for some time after you had a heavy meal. Always make it a point to not work out when you are full as this will interfere with the digestion process. Similarly, do not go to sleep immediately after eating as this will reduce the ability of the body to digest food properly. You should at least give a few hours of a gap after eating food before you go to sleep.
- If you are suffering from regular indigestion due to an underlying health condition, you can get relief by elevating your pillow while sleeping. This will ensure that the digestive acids will not move upwards and cause heartburn and other complications.
- You should also discuss your problem with your doctor and make a list of foods that are known to trigger indigestion in your body. In this way, you can avoid such foods and stay away from this problem in the future.
Treatment for Indigestion
- The most common method of treating this condition is with making suitable changes to your lifestyle and eating habits. You should always pay attention to what you eat and also maintain proper timings. This will keep your digestive system in proper order.
- Apart from that, you should also reduce the stress levels as this will trigger indigestion without any other reasons. You can also workout regularly to provide suitable strength to your body and this will increase your metabolism and boost digestion.
- If any medication is triggering this condition in your body, you need to find suitable alternatives for them. Speaking to your doctor about this will help you in many ways and you can easily get rid of this problem in quick time.
- It is also suggested that you reduce the intake of alcohol and also stop smoking as this hampers your digestive system. It can also create other health complications in the long run and you should always cut down on this usage in the future.
- When you have this problem on a regular basis, using medication will give you good results. Many patients get temporary relief from symptoms by using antacids and other prescription medicine. You can also visit your doctor to find the suitable medication that will help you to get rid of these symptoms.
- Finally, you should lead an active lifestyle and eat foods that are suited for your body. You will easily understand what suits you best and you can follow them in the future to avoid this problem.
Complications of Indigestion
- You need to understand that indigestion by itself does not cause any major complications. In most cases, you will get relief within a couple of days when this happens due to a gastric problem or other minor issues.
- However, when this is happening due to any other existing health conditions, it may take a while before you get relief from this problem. In this situation, you will have trouble eating food and digesting it properly.
- This can lead to nausea or diarrhoea in many cases and you are likely to get tired due to this condition. The best way to treat this condition is to concentrate on the symptoms and you can treat the underlying condition at a later stage.
- You will have an uncomfortable feeling in the stomach that will affect your everyday activities. Most people suffering from this problem miss out on their regular tasks and they may not be able to attend work in a normal way.
- Apart from these things, there are no major long-term implications of this condition and you need not worry about this problem.
Myths about Indigestion
Myth #1: Indigestion affects only adults:
While it is true that many patients suffering from this condition are adults, it can even affect kids. However, when you compare the recurrence of this condition, it is seen that adults have more tendency to frequently encounter this problem than kids. This can also be attributed to the weakening digestive system due to old age and lifestyle problems.
Myth #2: Indigestion is always painful:
This is completely false and it need not have to be painful all the time. In most cases, it just causes some discomfort and you may experience burning sensation. The symptoms need not persist for a long duration and most patients experience them only for a short duration of time. The symptoms will usually go away after few hours on its own and you need not even take medication for mild problems.
Myth #3: There is no way to prevent indigestion:
you can easily prevent this problem by following the guidelines of your dietician and doctor. Always make sure that you eat in small quantities and also at regular intervals rather than eating heavy meals at once. This will give your body plenty of time to digest the food and it will not be overloaded. In this manner, it will work effectively and the digestive acids produced in the body will not create any uncomfortable symptoms.
Everyone suffers from this problem at some point or other in their lives and there is no need to worry about this condition unless it happens on a regular basis. In most cases, you will get relief as soon the underlying condition that is causing indigestion gets resolved. You can, however, use some medication to get quick relief from symptoms and this will be more than enough to treat this problem in most cases. You should focus on the ways in which you can prevent them in the future as this can come back again at any time depending on your lifestyle and eating habits. For this reason, you should always pay attention to what you eat and try to divide them between equal intervals during the day. This will give your body enough time to digest the food properly and you will not face the indigestion problem in the future. It does not cause major complications in most cases and you will be able to get treatment easily for this problem.
Approximately 60% of the human body consists of water. It is one of the most important components that help in the process of digestion, blood circulation, mineral absorption and even excretion, ensuring smooth functioning of your system. A mere drop in the water content of your body can lead to dehydration, which can affect your body in more than one ways. Dehydration can also take a toll on your skin leaving it dry and life less. In order to ensure the health of your skin, it is highly recommended to keep your system hydrated.
How drinking water affects the skin?
1. Keeps skin soft: Skin is made up of 3 layers namely, epidermis, dermis and subcutaneous tissue. When the water content of the outermost layer of the epidermis is insufficient, your skin tends to lose elasticity and feel rough. Intake of adequate water hydrates the skin cells and makes them function properly, making your skin soft and supple.
2. Moisturizes dry skin and lessens the appearance of wrinkles: Insufficient intake of water makes your skin appear dry and flaky; such a skin is more prone to wrinkling. When you drink sufficient water your skin cells hydrate from within. Hydrated skin is resilient in nature and therefore, it has less chance of suffering from premature wrinkling.
3. Improves skin tone: Water is known for its abilities to flush out toxins from your system and for maintaining the proper functioning of your kidneys. Sufficient intake of water ensures that harmful toxins and impurities are regularly flushed out of your system, thereby, adding a healthy glow to your skin.
4. Makes your skin appear younger: It is advised to drink a minimum 8 glasses of water daily to keep your body hydrated. The condition of your health can be analyzed from the condition of your skin as a body that is hydrated well, makes your skin appear healthy too.
5. Gets rid of dark circles: The problem of dark circle arise over the years due to the damage of the capillaries under the eyes. The skin around the eyes is thinner than facial skin which hinders the smooth flow of fluid through them. Plenty intake of water on a regular basis can reduce the appearance of dark circles dramatically, making your skin appear healthy.
Despite them being sweet and tasty, there are no nutritional benefits of sodas whatsoever. Moreover, doctors from all over the globe have concluded that numerous health risks are linked to soda pop consumption. Here are a number of reasons to help you arrive at a more comprehensive understanding of the harmful effects of soda on your health:
1. It has been scientifically backed up that drinking sodas is absolutely pointless. Because sodas have been found to contain nothing but sugar and calories, there is really no reason why you should drink it. Further, even diet sodas have no particular nutritional value attached to them, despite the claim that they have zero to no calories.
2. The sugar content in soda often combines with bacteria present in your mouth to form certain types of acid. These, along with carbolic inherently present in carbonated sodas, work together to have a damaging influence on your teeth, leading to cavities and tooth decay.
4. Because of the presence of large amounts of high-fructose corn syrup, there is a greater risk of obesity. Furthermore, because of its high sugar content and its perverse effects on hormonal levels in the body, soda consumption is also associated with the development of type 2 diabetes, besides other complications like increased appetite and greater difficulty losing weight.
5. Soda consumption also tends to soften bone strength and contributes to lower bone density. The presence of caffeine and phosphorus in most sodas further increases the risk of acquiring disease such as osteoporosis.
Fortunately, there are tons of options which you can choose over soda pop. These alternative beverages will most naturally contain higher nutritional value and benefits. A few alternatives include:
c) Fruit juice
d) Lemon water
e) Coconut water
Water is the life giving source of the planet and we would do well to remember to have our daily dose of at least seven to eight glasses of water. Besides its many health benefits, water is also a great partner to have in the weight loss process.
Here are the 4 symptoms which show that you are suffering from water deficiency:
Water is the most important ingredient in the body. About 60% of the human body is water, and the heart and brain are almost 70% water, while the lungs have about 80% water. A healthy adult should be drinking about 2.5 to 3 L of water on a daily basis. That being the case, it is not surprising that someone who does not drink enough water faces multiple issues. The severity of the symptoms also depends on how much the dehydration has set in. It is easier to correct these in the initial stages by just increasing the water intake. When left to progress, in addition to forcefully drinking water, other symptoms may also need to be treated.
Drink adequate amount of water, and see the life inside you come alive. It is a habit which is definitely hard to kick. Those who are used to regularly sipping water can feel their cells craving for water when they have not gulped down water for a while.