Anal fissure (Fissure-In-Ano) - What Should You Know?
Written and reviewed by
Dr. Arnab Ray
89% (24 ratings)
Bachelor of Ayurveda, Medicine and Surgery (BAMS), MS (Ayurveda) in Surgery, PhD Surgery
Ayurvedic Doctor, Kolkata
19 years experience
Anal fissure (fissure-in-ano):
An anal fissure is a tear or open wound at the terminal part of anal lining. It is a very painful condition. Pain is felt more on passing stool and worsens if hard stool is passed.
What causes anal fissure?
- Acute or chronic constipation
- Acute or chronic diarrhoea
- Childbirth in females
- Intestinal diseases like ulcerative colitis, Crohn’s diseases
- Sexually transmitted diseases like AIDS, syphilis
- Sequel of tuberculosis, leukemia
- Anal intercourse
When to consult a doctor?
- Pain and burning sensation on passing stool
- Intense painful anal spasm lasting for several hours after passing stool
- Streaks of blood on stool or bright-red bleeding
- Hanging of skin outside the tear line (sentinel tag)
- Acute fissure may be cured with medicinal treatment
- Chronic fissure often needs surgical correction
- Wide range of effective medicinal management
- Anal dilatation
- Lateral internal sphicterotomy
- Flap enhancement
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult a specialist
& get answers to your questions!
found this helpful