A healthy digestive system is a boon for any person, but very few people in the world have immaculate digestion. Disorders related to digestion can create serious issues, which may, in the future, lead to severe and chronic diseases. Here is a look at some of the most common stomach disorders that may plague you or someone you know.
- Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD): Many a time you may have heard people complaining about acidity. This acidity is the primary symptom of GERD. People suffering from the same can experience pain and a burning sensation in the center of their chests. This usually occurs after you have just finished off a meal. Ingesting spicy food may also lead to the condition. However, it is important to remember that not all acid reflux cases are indicative of GERD. If the frequency of such acid reflux increases, it could be a pointer for GERD.
- Gallstones: Gallstones are small and hard crystalline deposits that are formed in the gallbladder. The main cause of gallstone is excess cholesterol and deposition of bile in the bladder, in case the gallbladder does not empty completely. Gallstones can cause sharp pain and need to be removed using laser surgery. Smaller stones may be passed out naturally with feces, by the help of medication, without the need for surgeries.
- Celiac disease: Celiac disease is a disorder where the body’s immune system reacts violently towards gluten. Gluten is a form of protein, which is often found in bread and any product containing refined flour. People suffering from celiac disease may need to be admitted to the hospital due to an allergic reaction to gluten. There is no permanent treatment for this disorder and people, who suffer from this disease, need to stay away from gluten forever.
- Irritable bowel syndrome: As the name suggests, irritation in the digestive tract may be a sign of IBS. In such a case, you will feel terrible pain and discomfort. Other symptoms include constipation in some cases, while diarrhea may also be caused as a result of the disorder. If you are suffering from the disease, ensure that you stay away from dairy products, artificial sweeteners, alcohol and caffeine.
- Ulcerative Colitis: The large intestine is affected in this condition It is caused when your immune system mistakes food for foreign particles and rejects it. If you experience pain and diarrhea or notice blood in your stool, it could be indicative of ulcerative colitis.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!