Lybrate.com has a number of highly qualified ENT Specialists in India. You will find ENT Specialists with more than 34 years of experience on Lybrate.com. Find the best ENT Specialists online in Thane. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Manish Patankar
Cysts Removal Procedure
Treatment of Tonsils (Tonsillitis)
Hearing Aid Fitting
Treatment of Throat and Voice Problems
Earlobe Repair Procedure
Treatment of Sleep Disturbance
Nose Reshaping Procedure
Hearing Testing Techniques
Nasal And Sinus Allergy Care
Cochlear Implant Procedure
Ear Micro Surgery
Treatment Of Hearing Deficiency
Submit a review for Dr. Manish PatankarYour feedback matters!
Good morning I am DR Rajput, Pulmonologist. I deal with the respiratory disease which include Asthma, COPD and sleep apnea. The sleep disorder, sleep apnea is very common these days. People snore and they do not know that they have a disease.
I am going to talk about, "Why do people snore and how it affects your health?"
You know the structure. We breath through nose and we eat through mouth. There is a pasaage in the neck behind the tongue where the food and the air we inhale pass through it. But when we sleep, our posture changes due to which muscles get relaxed and makes the passage narrow. Then the tongue drops and makes it further narrow. If you are over weight, due to the neck fat, the passage gets further narrow. So, when the air passes through the narrow passage, it produces snoring. The stage beyond snoring when the two valves in the neck meet each other, the air flow stops and cause Apnea. When the air flow stops, the oxygen level in the body goes down, the brain gets aroused and sends the signal to these muscles and then you ultimately snot and this snotting opens the passage a bit. So, this repeatedly occur in the night and this results in oxidative stress. BEcause 1/3rd of your life, you are sleeping, i.e, 8 hours out of 24 hours.
So, during sleep, if the air flow is less which is called Hypopnea, the air flow stops is called Apnea. This leads to Endothelial dysfunction, which leads to High blood pressure, diabetes, cardiac problems.
So, it is important to know about Sleep Apnea and its relation to lifestyle diseases like hypertension, diabetes, cardio vascular diseases.
The diagnosis is very simple these days which is Polysomnography. It is a sleep study in which we record the brain EEG, EOG, EMG, air flow, snoring, oxygen saturation ECG. This gives an index which is called Apnea Hypopnea Index. If the Index is more than 5 than you have to be treated.
The commonest treatment which is available these days is the CPAP Therapy. CPAP is a very simple therapy. There is a mask which fits on the nose and it is connected to a hose pipe to a machine. The machine gives pressure to the air and this pressure splints this air way and the air flow is maintained. Oxygenation maintains, snoring stops and oxidative stress dissapears. This helps in controlling blood pressure, the diabetes become normal and the risk of cardio vacular problems decreases.
Thank you very much for listening to me.
If you want to consult us, come to our clinic or contact through Lybrate.
Sir I suffer throat pain at regularly. When I stop Gargling salt water again in occurs. What is the problem. Give some permanent salvation.
I often get white spots on tonsils. Due to this I get throat infection. How to prevent white spots from coming?
I am going through dizziness everyday and consulted a doctor. Who gave me nexito plus, neurobion forte and pan D for 2 weeks. Dizziness is still there, got my self checked for vitB and folic acid. I still feel weak and dizzy all the time that I'm going fall. Please suggest My folic acid is 3.63 and b12 is 497.67.
There are hollow spaces in the skull (cavities) known as sinus, which have a mucous lining. Due to various reasons, these can get inflamed, and in some people, despite multiple treatments, the sinusitis can be recurrent and persistent. This condition, where it continues to persist beyond 12 weeks, is known as chronic sinusitis. It can be seen in people of all ages, can be worse in children, elderly, and the immunocompromised.
In Unani, chronic sinusitis is referred to as nazla, and this is due to bad temperament of the brain and the nose, causing inflammation of the mucosa in the sinuses around the nose.
- Nasal septum deviation: The wall separating the two nostrils can be moved to one side, blocking the sinuses
- Nasal polyps: These are growths within the nostrils which can block air flow
- Respiratory tract infections: The nostrils are the first part of the respiratory tract, and infections can affect the sinuses
- Allergies: Chronic allergies like hay fever and inflammation can cause sinusitis
Unani believes that the accumulated mucus causes irritation and pain in the face, especially around the nose. Symptoms include:
- Postnasal drainage, which is thick, discoloured (greenish yellow) drainage from the nose to the throat. This can also produce a constant salty taste in the throat
- Chronic nasal congestion or obstruction, leading to difficulty breathing
- Painful, tender area around the nose and eyes (sinus space)
- Decreased sense of smell
- Unpleasant taste
- Mouth breathing, which can lead to further throat and respiratory problems
- Other symptoms include ear pain, sore throat, cough, painful jaws, fatigue, and fever.
Unani believes that disease is a natural process due to an imbalance between the various body fluids. Treatment is usually progressive, starting with noninvasive measures, moving up to more invasive methods. In chronic sinusitis, the following are often recommended.
- Eucalyptus leaves to be boiled in water and inhaling this provides great relief. It helps in thinning the mucus which is then released easily
- An equal amount of Viola odorata (Linn), marshmallow root extract and Jujube fruits (unaab) are mixed and boiled in about 100 ml of water until the mixture gets reduced to half. This can be stored for prolonged periods and mixed with consumed to be used on a daily basis.
- Another mixture that is used is Malva sylvestris, mallow, and liquorice roots which are again boiled in about 100 mL of water until it is reduced to half the quantity. This can be stored and consumed on a daily basis, up to 3 times a day. This helps in clearing the sinuses and reducing inflammation, preventing a chronic sinusitis.
- Khameera ustokhddus. OD dose and cupping therapy is also very helpful in all types of scinositis.