Lybrate.com has a number of highly qualified Orthopedists in India. You will find Orthopedists with more than 36 years of experience on Lybrate.com. Find the best Orthopedists online in Thane. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Dilavath Thonkavla
Knee Pain Treatment
Spinal Surgery Disorders
Treatment of Neurological Problems
Treatment of Knee replacement
Treatment of Joint And Muscle Problems
Treatment of Nerve And Muscle Disorders
Acl Reconstruction Procedure
Hip Replacement Surgery
Joint Dislocation Treatment
Knee Care Procedures
Joint Replacement Surgery
Ankle Pain Treatment
Treatment of Spondylosis
Arthritis And Pain Management Treatment
Treatment of Joint Dislocation
Treatment Of Disk Slip
Treatment Of Herniated Disc
Submit a review for Dr. Dilavath ThonkavlaYour feedback matters!
Joint pain can occur anytime throughout the year, but in the cold and wet months of the winter you may find it harder to cope with.Although a change in the weather will not cause arthritis, it can worsen the symptoms.
Ways to stop the cold weather aggravating your aches and pains
1. Try to overdress rather than underdress because you can always remove a layer if you’re too hot. For those who suffer headaches, wrap your neck in a scarf.
2. Calcium Intake- Keep a watch on your calcium intake. Foods enrich with calcium are great for your joints and bones
3. Don’t stay out in the cold too long. Make the most of the time outside to warm your core, and get home and warm up to maintain the benefit – the best of both worlds.
4. Quit Smoking- It is a lesser known fact that people who smoke tend to have lower bone density and hence, are at higher risk of issues related to bones and joints. Quit smoking for a healthier lifestyle and robust bones!
5. Try to keep moving rather than shrinking into the sofa as this generates heat and improves flexibility and the range of joint movement.
6. Acknowledge the impact of the colder weather on pain.By making allowances and planning ahead you should find the winter months more tolerable than in the past.
7. A Balanced diest is important: People suffering from joint pains require a well-balanced diet. Foods enrich with Vitamin D, C and K are good for joint pains. Add orange, cabbage, spinach, tomatoes in your diet as they are the super foods and relieve knee pains. For those who have extremely low levels of Vitamin D, can also take supplements after prescription from the doctor. Adding sulphur rich food in your diet is another plus point!
AS is a type of arthritis of the spine. It causes swelling between vertebrae, which are the disks that make up your spine, and in the joints between spine and pelvis. Ankylosing spondylitis is an autoimmune disease. This means immune system, which normally protects body from infection, attacks body's own tissues. The disease is more common and more severe in men. It often runs in families.
Early symptoms include back pain and stiffness. These problems often start in late adolescence or early adulthood. Over time, ankylosing spondylitis can fuse vertebrae together, limiting movement.
ETIOLOGY of Ankylosing Spondylitis
Evidence points to autoimmune etiology.
Positive family history.
CLINICAL FEATURES of Ankylosing Spondylitis
Pain in back, buttocks.
Morning stiffness, better with activity.
No movement possible.
Gradual involvement of:
A) Whole vertebral column. B) Hips.
Tenderness at sacro-iliac joint.
Cervical, thoracic spines become tender.
Patient cannot erect spine.
Sits, walks with flexed spine.
Chest expansion diminished.
Complete rigidity of spine & involved joints.
Kyphosis (curve in spine).
COMPLICATIONS of Ankylosing Spondylitis
Aortic incompetence (calcification of valve).
Recurrent chest infection.
INVESTIGATIONS for Ankylosing Spondylitis
Hb% : low.
Rheumatoid factor: negative.
X-Ray findings of sacro-iliac joints
Narrowing of joint space.
Haziness of joint margins.
New bone formation.
Bridging of joint cavity.
X-Ray vertebral column
Ossification of spinal, para-spinal ligaments.
Squaring of vertebrae.
Ossification of intervertebral discs.
Bamboo spine (fusion of entire vertebral column).
GENERAL MANAGEMENT for Ankylosing Spondylitis
Before ankylosis takes place:
Provide straight back chair for sitting.
Firm bed with one pillow at night.
Encourage lying in prone position.
Homeopathic Remedies for Ankylosing Spondylitis
Homeopathy treats the person as a whole. It means that homeopathic treatment focuses on the patient as a person, as well as his pathological condition. The homeopathic medicines are selected after a full individualizing examination and case-analysis, which includes the medical history of the patient, physical and mental constitution etc. A miasmatic tendency (predisposition/susceptibility) is also often taken into account for the treatment of chronic conditions. The medicines given below indicate the therapeutic affinity but this is not a complete and definite guide to the treatment of this condition. The symptoms listed against each medicine may not be directly related to this disease because in homeopathy general symptoms and constitutional indications are also taken into account for selecting a remedy. None of these medicines should be taken without professional advice.