Kidney Stones Treatment
Removal Of Stitches Procedure
Corn Removal Procedure
Dressings Of Wounds Procedure
Varicose Vein Laser Treatment
Hernia Repair Surgery
Urinary Incontinence (Ui) Treatment
Stitching Of Wounds Procedure
Treatment Of Deep Vein Thrombosis - Dvt
Male Breast Reduction Treatment
Prostate Laser Surgery
Gastric Bypass Surgery
Treatment of Bone Marrow Transplantation
Vascular Surgery Treatment
Submit a review for Manawata Hospital & Nalini Ghag Maternity UnitYour feedback matters!
Adrenal gland cancer is a form of cancer which usually affects adrenals (tiny glands which sit above each kidney). The kidneys are situated inside the upper abdomen. The tumor usually develops in the outer part of the adrenal gland called the cortex. These hormones are called steroids and produce cortisol (hormone made in the adrenal gland) and sex hormones.
Types of Adrenal Tumors:
- Cancer in the outer part of the adrenal gland like adrenocortical carcinoma.
- Neuroblastoma (usually affects children).
- An extremely rare form of tumor called pheochromocytoma.
Symptoms of Adrenal Gland Cancer:
- Low levels of potassium
- High blood pressure
- Panic attacks and anxiety can also occur
- Throbbing sensation in the heart
- Immense headache
- Excessive amount of sweating
- Pain in the abdominal area
- Extreme fluctuation in blood sugar levels (diabetes)
- Weight loss or weight gain for no reason.
- Weakness and feelings of fatigue
- Hair loss
- Some changes in the genitalia.
- Unusual occurrence of acne.
- Changes in sex drive (libido).
Treatments of Adrenal Gland Cancer:
- Surgery: This option can be considered in extreme cases. Surgery usually involves surgically removing the tumors. If the tumor is smaller than 5 cm, it might not be cancerous or dangerous. In this case a laparoscopic surgery is suggested.
- Hormone Therapy: Adrenal glands might produce excess hormones during other treatments for curing adrenal gland cancer. The doctor might suggest drugs like metyrapone, streptozotocin, metyrosine and spironolactone to maintain your hormone levels.
- Chemotherapy: This is the most common form of treatment to kill the cancer cells. Chemotherapy stops the cells ability to divide and grow thus destroying the cancer cells. During chemotherapy a patient is given a combination of different drugs at a time. The amount of adrenocorticoids which is produced by the adrenal glands during adrenal cancer is greatly reduced. The side effects of chemotherapy include nausea, vomiting, risk of infection, loss of appetite, hair loss, diarrhea and fatigue. If you wish to discuss any specific problem, you can consult an endocrinologist.
Are anal fissure, piles and fistula internally connected problem I want to mean if one suffer from anal fissure then he has greater possibility to get piles? Is it possible to get 100 percent permanent cure from anal fissure by any surgery?
Tattoos were used as marks of identification of a person in ancient times but now, they have become a way of decorating your skin or conveying messages/personality types etc. When you get yourself inked, you love it at that time. But you may want to get rid of the same tattoo which you had got done with tremendous zest, at some point in our life. Laser tattoo removal or permanent tattoo removal is the process of removing tattoos and other forms of body ink by using lasers on fragment particles of ink so that they can be absorbed naturally by the skin. All types of tattoos can be removed using permanent tattoo removal process i.e. laser tattoo removal. This will include tattoos done by professionals and accidental tattoos that are caused by bruising and injury of the skin. Colored tattoos are also removed, although yellow or green tattoos pose a greater challenge when it comes to removal and subsequent permanent tattoo removal treatments may be necessary.
Obesity can make life miserable. From unhealthy eating habits to unhealthy lifestyles and medical conditions, obesity can be an amalgamation of many factors. Obese people are a greater risk of suffering from many serious health complications like type 2 diabetes, mood swings, and depression, cardiac problems, high blood pressure and high cholesterol, to name a few. It does not stop there. More alarming is the fact that obese people are an increased risk of suffering from different types of cancer.
Bariatric surgery comes as a saviour for highly obese people (with a BMI over 40), who have tried every possible treatment under the sun to lose weight without any success. Bariatric surgery has helped many severely obese people attain a healthy weight. Bariatric surgery can be of three types;
- Gastric bypass surgery (Roux-en-Y): This is one of the most common types of weight-loss surgery practised worldwide. The procedure involves rearranging (dividing) the stomach into a smaller upper pouch and a larger lower part. The smaller pouch is then connected to the small intestine. The food consumed will pass into the small intestine through the pouch. The idea is to rearrange the stomach in such a way that a person consumes a lesser quantity of food.
- Gastric banding (Laparoscopic Adjustable Gastric Band): In this procedure, the surgeon creates a small pouch at the upper part of the stomach by placing a band (lap band or A-band) around it. The pouch, true to its name, is used to hold the food consumed. The purpose of placing a band around the stomach (upper part) is to reduce the intake of food.
- Sleeve Gastrectomy (Gastric Sleeve surgery): In Sleeve Gastrectomy, surgeons remove a large portion of the stomach, leaving behind only a small sleeve-like pouch (hence the name). Like the other two surgeries, sleeve gastrectomy also aids in limiting the consumption of food.
- Duodenal switch: The fourth type of bariatric surgery, Duodenal switch with biliopancreatic diversion, is not very commonly used. Bariatric surgery has several health benefits. In addition to the weight loss, it plays a pivotal role in lowering the incidences of Type-2 Diabetes, depression, anxiety, coronary artery problems, sleep apnea cardiovascular diseases.
Research also suggest that bariatric surgery has been instrumental in reducing the chances of cancer (especially colon and breast cancer) by as much as 60%. The correlation between weight loss and reduced cancer instances is still a debatable topic. Some researchers and oncologists believe that the weight loss (bariatric surgery) brings about a hormonal modification which prevents the growth of tumour cells. Another study links obesity with an increased inflammation. In many cases, inflammation acts as a catalyst, accelerating the growth of cancer cells. Research is still going on to understand this correlation (obesity and reduced cancer rates) better.
Bariatric surgery has its share of risks and demerits. Consult your physician and get yourself thoroughly examined before opting for the surgery. If you wish to discuss any specific problem, you can consult a bariatrician.
When a person makes choices which are not prudent when it comes to food and exercise, he or she is only causing himself or herself problems which are contained around the waistline. As a matter of fact, these problems can also manifest themselves into not so pleasant experiences in the bedroom.
It is believed that the more overweight a person is, greater will be the impact on his or her life span. This not only affects the life expectancy or quality of life of such a person over that period of time, but the ramifications can also be seen on his or her sexual life. Here are two important issues obese people are likely to face, if they don’t watch their weight.
- Problems in conceiving: A pregnancy is something which can be a matter of great joy or equally great consternation, or a mix of both these emotions. However, women who are obese are four times more likely to have an unplanned pregnancy in comparison with their relatively fit peers.
- Libido trouble: While ailments such as diabetes and heart disease may seem to be lifestyle diseases, it can be said that they do not even leave a person’s sex life unharmed. For men, the difficulty is felt when trying to get or maintain an erection, and this can seem to be insurmountable. Similarly, female libido or interest in sex can be greatly dulled.
Obesity is something that is a growing problem in today’s world and while getting up and going out for a run or being modest with portions of food, which are consumed may seem to be things which do require a lot of motivation. The benefits which are accorded to a person’s sex life can be said to make these sacrifices well worth it!
The effects of this in the case of a person who is in a relationship can be even greater, as a study conducted by the World Health Organisation or the WHO did conclude, rather interestingly, that when a person is in a relationship, there is a rather strong correlation between the body mass index (BMI) of the partner to what he or she has. So, an effort to get healthier and to free oneself from the onerous shackles of obesity, which are pretty much the biggest kill joys, can be a wonderful and greatly rewarding experience. If you wish to discuss any specific problem, you can consult a sexologist.
Does the pink skin after burn scab falls, return to normal skin tone? Burned my face with apple cider vinegar: I used apple cider vinegar on my face for 2 hours. It burned the skin and it turned dark brown. In 4-5 days the burned skin (scab) came off. But now there is a pinkish-whitish skin on my face. Will it scar permanently? Pls help me so I could remove it. It has been a week since the scab came off. I'm a female, Indian skin. (The scar is pea-sized) I'm applying aloe vera gel. Should I continue applying? Also, should I use honey on the pinkish-white skin? Does it help from scarring? Can soframycin be applied? How much time will it take to come back to my normal skin colour? Will it scar? I'm worried Pls help so I could remove it without any scars.
Sir my self anu and I am 30 year old female I have scar. Dark spot and under eye dark circle problem plzz tell me best medicine becoz my marriage held on dec 2017.
Hi doctor! I am having rashes kind of thing on both side of my thighs and on the scrotum. It becomes so itchy sometimes that I cannot control. It's been 1 month since I am suffering. Please help me with this.
Fractional laser or Fraxel as it is commonly known in cosmetic surgery terms, is a non-invasive technique to treat various skin problems. A beam of laser is divided into thousands of treatment zones, which are focused on a particular spot on the skin, giving it the name fractional laser.
Conventionally, ablative laser works on the epidermis while non-ablative laser works on the collagen or the dermis layer. Fractional laser is unique in that it works on both these layers. Therefore, in problems involving both these layers, Fraxel works extremely well.
How does it work?
The skin has two layers – epidermis and the dermis. The epidermis is the protective layer and has the melanin-producing melanocytes, which gives the skin, its color. The dermis has collagen and elastic fibers, which gives it skin the elasticity. With age, the skin loses its elasticity and becomes pale, as the collagen degenerates. Less of new collagen is formed, and so aged appearance including sagging, fine lines, wrinkles, dark spots, etc. appear.
What Fraxel does is produce 1000s of columns of laser which act on both the dermis and the epidermis and improve collagen formation and removing old cells. The surrounding skin remains intact, and only the area of focus is treated.
What to expect?
- Before the procedure, the doctor will validate if you are a candidate for the procedure.
- Photos will be taken of the area and in people with darker complexion, bleaching or chemical peel may be used
- With face cleaned with soap and water, an anesthetic cream is applied to the skin.
- The laser beam is then applied, usually about 30 minutes.
- The procedure could be painful if the laser beam is strong which makes the use of anesthetic essential
- A cooling device is applied at the end of the procedure, and the area is then washed off
- One may experience redness, swelling, and tenderness for about a week
- New skin will develop in about a week’s time
- Skin peeling can happen in some people, which can be easily removed off without pain
- Adequate use of moisturizer and sunscreen is advised
- Clothing should be protective, include sunglasses, wide hat, and scarf
- Most people require a repeat of 3 to 4 sessions to complete the treatment, with a gap of a month usually.
- Unlike with other skin treatments, the effect from Fraxel takes time. It may take up to 3 to 4 months for the complete effect to show, as it involves complete collagen formation.
If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a Dermatologist.
The skin can get dull and result in acne and other breakouts if exposed to the sun or other environmental factors. Homeopathic treatments have one major advantage over other forms of treatment that is they do not have any side effects.
Some homeopathic treatments for getting clear skin are-
1. Sulphur - Symptoms of dry and scaly skin can be treated by sulphur. It can also be used to treat skin eruptions such as pimples and pimple marks.
2. Bovista - Bovista is a homeopathic remedy used for disorders resulting from excessive use of cosmetics. Pimples and dark skin are problems caused by excessive cosmetic products use and treating these symptoms with bovista can help in achieving a clear and healthy skin.
3. Psorinum - People affected by overactive sebaceous glands, which results in excessive oil production benefit from using Psorinum. It will remove symptoms of greasy skin and pimples caused as a result of oily skin.
4. Silicea - Silicea is a homeopathic medicine used when acne leaves deep marks on the skin. This treatment gets rid of the scars to give a clear skin.
5. Sepia - Discoloration of the face caused due to liver disorders or hormonal imbalance is treated by Sepia. Sepia eliminates these discolorations and gives you clear and healthy skin.
Skin rashes can be of many kinds. These may be due to various improper body system. Thankfully, homeopathy has many solutions for the plethora of causative factors for skin rashes. These remedies aim at treating the underlying cause of the affecting ailment. Any skin change that affects the look, colour or texture can be termed as a rash. Rashes might or might not have any accompanying pain. They may be spread all over the body or may affect any one part and be localised. It might affect the body image apart from the discomfort it causes. A few kinds of rashes disappear without treatment, while others require medical attention.
Homeopathy tries to holistically solve the disease by treating the underlying causes than just the symptoms of the disease. Here are the most commonly employed treatments:
- Arsenicum (Ars): It is useful in treating skin ailments wherein the skin gets thickened; such as in chronic urticarial, chronic eczema and psoriasis. The rash might be papular and cause a burning sensation. The pustules turn into scabs. It is also effective in treating ringworms and certain kinds of hives. Hives which are formed after consuming fruits or pork are known to show noticeable regression after consuming Arsenicum. Wheals, which are induced due to consistent exposure to cold can also be remedied by this remedy.
- Apis Mellifica (Apis): It is useful when urticarial infections have a sudden onset with a widespread appearance of welts. Hives that spread all over the body and bed rashes can also be treated with this drug.
- Hepar Sulphur (Hep): This drug is helpful in treating moist eruptions on skin folds and the joints. The skin in such cases is prone to suppuration (the process of pus forming) and becomes very sensitive. This can also be used in eczematous scalp and cases wherein the skin becomes very sensitive. Genital organs affected by boils can especially benefit from Hepar sulphur.
- Caladium: It is most commonly used in case of asthmatics who suffer from rashes. This kind of rash alternates with the asthma attacks.
- Medorrhinum: Babies having rashes around their anus (diaper rash) are generally recommended this medicine for the eruptions to subside.
- Sulphur: This works well for rashes that are extremely itchy and feeling burning. You feel better when something cold is applied to the area. Your skin is rough, dry and peeling. You have blisters and fluid-filled bumps that exist within a patch of dark red skin. It may affect the left side of the body more often than the right, especially at points that bend and folds of the skin.
- Psorinum: Psorinum is one of the most wonderful Homeopathic medicines for skin rash and itching in the bend of joints, for example the hollow of the knee or elbow. Homeopathic medicine Psorinum has shown the best results where itching is intolerable and the skin gets raw or may even start to bleed from intense and continuous scratching. So severe is the condition that the person often finds it hard to even sleep. In persons showing these vital signs, Psorinum has proved to be one of the most suitable Homeopathic medicines for skin rash and itching. Psorinum is also among the most effective Homeopathic medicines for skin ailments that get worse in winters. Along with the symptoms mentioned above, sensitivity to cold air may also be felt in some cases.
Gycolic peels can significantly improve the appearance of the skin. This is a type of treatment that involves applying a chemical solution that makes the skin blister followed by peeling it off. The new skin that generates is less wrinkled and smoother. This treatment can successfully reduce lines under the mouth and the eyes, treat acne, improve scars, treat skin damaged by sun burn and wrinkles, improve the look and feel of the skin. It must be noted that the skin becomes very sensitive after a gycolic peel treatment. It, therefore, makes sense to wear sunscreen and refrain from direct exposure to UV rays.
Who is an ideal candidate for a gycolic peel?
Both fair-skin and dark-skinned people are suited for this treatment. The success rate and the effectiveness of this treatment depend on the condition for which a candidate being treated for. People with extremely dark complexion may not be well suited for this treatment.
How to get started?
Before going ahead with the treatment, it makes sense to discuss any underlying condition with the dermatologist. A history of cold sores and scarring should be discussed. If a person is undergoing any medication, it should be informed to the doctor prior to the treatment. A dermatologist often stops other medicine and prescribe skin meds such as Retin-A, Renova etc. to prepare the skin for the treatment. Furthermore, certain antiviral and antibiotic medicine can be prescribed to treat the certain underlying condition before resuming the treatment. An open discussion with the doctor about the depth of the peel is necessary to set the expectation straight.
How is the procedure performed?
Gycolic peel is an outpatient procedure. An overnight stay at the hospital is not necessary. The skin is thoroughly cleaned. The skin is then applied with a solution such as salicylic acid, glycolic acid, trichloroacetic acid, carbolic acid etc to a very limited area of the skin. It results in a controlled wound and the new skin fill up the wound within hours. A burning sensation can be felt for a span of 10 minutes followed by a sensation of stinging. A doctor might prescribe pain medication and suggest cool compressor to reduce the uneasiness.
What to expect after the procedure?
A sunburn-like reaction is witnessed after the procedure. This is followed by scaling that lasts for about a week. Peels can be repeated within weeks to get the exact look a person seeks. The procedure might result in crust, blister, and patches. The area is bandaged after the procedure is performed. Sunlight needs to be strictly avoided since the new skin very fragile and sensitive to the powerful rays of the sun. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a Dermatologist.
My lips have become very dark. I don't even smoke. Just I drink hookah once a week. Please suggest me some remedy so that my lips can become pink and glowing.
I have a big black spot at my shoulder back, I consulted the doctor, he told me its like a birth mark it can be removed only by surgery and it does not have any side effect. But the truth is its not a birthmark for sure, and also the mark is spreading, will reach till chest within 2 years approx. It also has hairs on it which I shaved off but its much longer now! please recommend me any cream or soap or any natural product to finish off the mark or at least to stop the spread, other than surgery. thank you.
Hi I want my skin to be healthy. I am student (female) and after one class I have to move for another which is at another location. Due to different water or else I don't know the reason, my skin is not look healthy. Please suggest what to eat. I don't eat outside food and pack my stuff for whole day. Please suggest something which help my skin to stay healthy. I stay outside for 16 hours. Office + classes are going.
I have old scars on both my legs due to insect/mosquitoes bites. I used mederma advanced gel but didn't finduch difference. Any suggestions to get rid of scars? Thanks.
I've done sphincterotomy for fissure in ano last week along have pain in anus and medication needs and rest? Pls suggest.
A head louse is an insect that lives on the human scalp and feeds on human blood. The female louse lays eggs in the head and makes sure the eggs are attached to the hair shaft. It takes around eight days for the egg to hatch. The louse takes another 11 days to mature into an adult louse.
The primary cause of head louse is poor personal hygiene. Other causes due to which a person can be infected by lice are:
- Using combs and towels that are infested.
- Coming in contact with another person who has this condition.
- Sharing the bed with a person who is affected by lice.
When a person is affected by this condition then the following symptoms are observed:
- The saliva of the lice causes an allergic reaction in the scalp which leads to constant itching. It can occur in various places such as ears, scalp and the neck. It may not occur initially, but it tends to occur after a few weeks.
- Constant scratching can lead to formation of small red bumps on the skin. A bacterial infection usually occurs from constant itching.
- It may lead to symptoms of dandruff in the scalp.
- Presence of various insects in the scalp.
Prevention of Lice:
Lice can be prevented by using medicated shampoos and conditioners to wash the hair. The shampoos are usually based on a chemical called pyrethrin. This compound is toxic for lice and helps in getting rid of it.
You can also opt for the following lifestyle changes to prevent lice:
- You should avoid sharing your hairbrush with others.
- In case you have long hair, tie it in buns or ponytails.
- Add tea tree oil to your shampoo before using it.
- Keep the scalp clean to prevent infestations.
- Avoid sharing pillows and clothes. If you wish to discuss any specific problem, you can consult a dermatologist.