Lybrate.com has a nexus of the most experienced Dermatologists in India. You will find Dermatologists with more than 41 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Dermatologists online in Surat and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Laser Hair Removal
Mole Removal Procedure
Skin Care Treatment
Skin Diseases Treatment
Cysts Removal Procedure
Wart Removal Technique
Chronic Skin Allergy Treatment
Stretch Marks Treatment
Tattoo Removal Procedure
Removal Of Stitches Procedure
Corn Removal Procedure
Liver Problems Treatment
Submit a review for Dr. Sharat GuptaYour feedback matters!
Superb Skin Specialist
‘Head lice’ are insects that feed on the blood of your scalp. This condition usually affects children and is moderately contagious. Contrary to popular belief, head lice does not occur due to poor personal hygiene.
The symptoms of head lice are:
1. Presence of lice on scalp: Lice are small insects that are usually hard to spot. But their infestation can be felt because you experience intense itching on the scalp.
2. Itching: There will be intense itching on the scalp and the neck. This itching occurs due to the saliva secretion by the lice that the skin is allergic to. Usually, the itching starts after 3 to 6 weeks of infestation.
3. Lice eggs: The lice eggs stick to the shafts of the hair. They are very hard to spot as they are small and well camouflaged.
What can be the reasons behind their infestation
This condition is contagious; apart from direct contact with the scalp of an infected person, this condition can also spread if you happen to share the below mentioned items with an infected person:
6. Accessories for the hair
The treatments for hair lice are:
1. Over- the counter (OTC) products: OTC products are made from ‘pyrethrin’, a compound extracted from the ‘chrysanthemum’ flower. ‘Pyrethrin’ works as an insecticidal compound and it is advised to use these medications only after washing your hair with a shampoo. Vinegar may also be used to loosen the nits from the hair shafts.
2. Prescription medications: Certain medications can also be prescribed by the doctor, such as benzyl alcohol and lindane.
Certain home remedies for head lice include:
1. Essential oils: Apply oils such as Anise oil or tea tree on the scalp; these oils act as toxins for the lice.
2. Wet combing: This is a method wherein the wet hair is combed using a fine toothed comb to remove the nits and the lice. Repeat the procedure for 3-4 days every week. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a dermatologist and ask a free question.
Actually I have too much acnes on my face due to this I can't go outside please help me to control this.
I am 25 yrs old reside in mumbai, having ringworm problem in my private area it goes when I take medicines and then comes again, please help.
Dear Doctor, Any problem that applying lipstick? Is this good for increasing red colour naturally in our lip? Which brand that you refer?
Hello my name is lokesh. I have suffered from chicken pox 7 year back. That disease has left a scar (black spot) on my nose. I want to know whether there is any remedy or any ointment to lighten that black spot. I would be really thankful if you could reply me.
(hair fall and thinning) I am taking lycopodium 30 (Dr reckeweg) (5 drops in water at night) and r89 (reckeweg) (20 drops 3 times in 20ml water) for how long I can take these.
I am 28 years male I have boils on back side of head, and pimples on faces continues presently no treatment taken suggest me.
I am suffering from fungus since from 1 year it is curing and coming back again and again can I get the proper solution.
I was it a very fair skin tone when I was young but as I grew up I missed to protect my skin and got huge damage from sun and pollution during my school days and now I don't know how to get back my original skin tone. Please help.
Good morning sir. I'm 18 years old. I'm hating dark circles. How to cure it. My skin is tanned. Want to become fair. Suggest creams.
Hello! I have hairfall and dandruff problem. Previously I was using head n shoulders shampoo now I am using antidandruff shampoo of patanjali but m unable to notice any change when I scratch my scalp I see a lot of dandruff. My hairs are also not growing. I regularly wash my hair with 2 days gap bt after drying my hair I notice a lot of dandruff please tell me wht should I do? Thank you wish you a gr8 day ahead!
There is probably no person who doesn’t lose some hair every day. In fact, losing about 100 hair in a day is considered normal. But if there is a problem of hair loss running in your family, you are vulnerable to lose even more hair. And it can lead to bald patches and spots in a short time. Approximately, half of all individuals suffer from this type of hair loss by the time they reach 50.
What are the causes of hair fall?
Although it has been speculated that hair loss is quite common, it could be a difficult thing to live with, particularly because it alters the way a person looks. Some of the most common causes of hair fall include:
- Family history: Hair fall is often inherited, indicating that it passes down from one generation to another. This is termed as female-pattern or male-pattern hair loss.
- Stress: The present work culture exposes all people to a lot of mental stress. Hair fall can also be caused by physical stress stemming from some ailment, high fever, and surgeries.
- Chemotherapy: A powerful medication destroying cancer cells, chemotherapy is also known to wreak havoc on hair.
- Wearing away: Hair damage can be caused by pulling back the hair, braiding it too tightly, making tight ponytails or by using too much of hair dryer, hair iron or hair straightener.
- Iron deficiency: Hair loss would be inevitable if one does not maintain a proper diet, particularly if it lacks protein and iron.
- Hair diseases: Hair disorders like ringworm, atopic dermatitis, psoriasis and other conditions can lead to loss of hair.
- Thyroid: Both hypothyroidism and hyperthyroidism are known to cause hair fall.
How is hair fall treated?
- If you have hair loss and you are looking forward to treating it, then your hair loss treatment would depend on the type of hair loss you are suffering from.
- If hair loss is induced by some ailment that can be treated or is not going to last long, then your hair would grow back in some time. For instance, if hair fall is caused by thyroid conditions, then administering thyroid medications can help.
- When your hair loss is caused by stress or any underlying medical condition or any medication, then you should try to alleviate it in order to notice desirable improvements.
- In case the hair fall is triggered by some hair disorders, it is important to consult a dermatologist for comprehensive treatment solutions.
PRP For Hair Fall
PRP or Platelet Rich Plasma is a very effective treatment for hair loss. It involves drawing out the blood from the patient’s body which is already rich in blood platelets. This blood is then concentrated to extract enriched blood platelets in the form of a serum. This serum is then injected into the scalp. PRP treatment can even be combined with hair transplant surgery, medication and micro needling to enhance their effectiveness.
Advantages of PRP treatment for hair fall-
- It is a non-surgical procedure so you don’t have to be sedated with anesthesia.
- It is a short duration procedure as PRP procedure lasts for 60 to 90 minutes.
- It is extremely reliable, safe and authentic.
- Time taken for recovery is very short. You will see noticeable results in less than a week after this procedure while getting to see marked improvements over the course for the next few weeks and months.
- Hair loss is controlled doesn’t recur after this procedure while the result looks very natural.
Non-Eligibility for a PRP treatment
- If you are suffering from malignancies or blood-borne diseases you should not go in for a PRP treatment.
- If you have a current infection you might not be able to sit for a PRP hair treatment.
- Patients suffering from cerebral palsy and Parkinson’s disease are not eligible for a PRP treatment.
- If you are currently pregnant or anemic, you shouldn’t opt for a PRP treatment.
- If you are currently suffering from any form of skin diseases you shouldn’t opt for PRP treatments either.