BHMS, Certified in Aesthetic Skin Treatments, Certified in Applied Behaviour Analysis
16 years experience
Ask Free Question
Without immediate care, dry skin can lead to cracking and bleeding, and harsh winter wind makes the problem worse. Additional moisture helps, but you need to do more to actually counteract these effects and keep skin looking youthful and smooth. Try these tips:
1.Choose lukewarm water to avoid stripping as many oils away from the skin.
2. Applying moisture to damp skin helps seal that dampness into the skin. Use liberally every time you wash.
3. Go for an oil-based rather than a water-based solution, as it will more likely to help your skin retain moisture.
4.We tend to drink less water in the winter because we turn to hot drinks like cocoa and tea, but don't forget that your skin needs hydration from the inside, out. A little warm water with lemon can be very refreshing and hydrating at the same time.
5.Dryer areas like hands, feet, elbows, and knees have thin skin and tend to lose moisture faster than other areas on the body. Consider slathering on a deep moisturizing balm at night, then wear cotton gloves and socks to seal in the moisture until morning.
6. Get an exfoliating mask and use it on your face and your hands, as well as gently on your lips, then follow immediately with moisture to truly see a smoother difference. Exfoliating body washes are also helpful in the winter months.
7.Eating foods high in water content can help hydrate your skin from the inside out. Try watermelon, can notaloupe, apples, oranges, kiwi, and watery veggies like celery, tomatoes, cucumbers, zucchini, and carrots. Make sure you are getting enough vitamin C and zinc to support the healthy production of collagen and elastin. Also consider an omega-3 supplement, or consume more fatty fish and flaxseed to give your skin the building blocks it needs to appear supple and smooth.
8. Cleansers can be extremely drying to the skin. After cleansing, don't leave the skin naked for more than 30 seconds, as this can dehydrate it, leading to increased dryness. Apply a hydrating toner and moisturizer to seal in moisture.
9. Homemade hydrating masks can provide needed moisture in the winter months. Use natural moisturizing ingredients like honey, avocado, yogurt, olive and jojoba oils, almond oil, bananas, and aloe. Mix what you like together to create a cream or paste, and leave on skin for 10-30 minutes for lasting hydration.
Homeopathy offers a very effective mode of treatment for dry skin. The dry skin is treated with natural medicines in Homeopathy and are totally free from any side effect and act as a natural source to nourish the skin, remove the dryness and replenish the skin's normal texture.
You can consult me online through Lybrate for skin care treatment and medicines along with dietary instructions and lifestyle modifications.
Your feedback and recommendation matters. Thank-you.
4 people found this helpful
Was this answer helpful?
Thank you for your feedback.
Suggestions offered by doctors on Lybrate are of advisory nature i.e., for educational and informational purposes only. Content posted on, created for, or compiled by Lybrate is not intended or designed to replace your doctor's independent judgment about any symptom, condition, or the appropriateness or risks of a procedure or treatment for a given person.