Plantar fascitis generally is self limiting but you should follow exercises and lifestyle modifications for relief.
1. Reduce body weight as obesity will aggravate the stress on heel.
2. Avoid exercises like running / walking on hard surfaces. Stop such activities when you start developing pain.
3. Roll your feet on bottle of cold water for 20 mins 4 times a day or can apply ice pack.
4. Use shoes with silicone sole inserts.
5. Do calf muscle and heel stretches daily.
6. Avoid prolonged standing or sitting.
7. Use night splint to keep foot flexed at night. Stop using it once pain is relieved.
8. Use analgesics like Ibuprofen for decreasing pain and inflammation.
9. For severe pain injections in plantar fascia are required.
With proper lifestyle changes as above
90 % patients have relief and functionality. Only 10% patients would require surgical intervention like plantar fascia release or gastrocnemius recession.
For further queries consult.
2 people found this helpful
Was this answer helpful?
Thank you for your feedback.
Suggestions offered by doctors on Lybrate are of advisory nature i.e., for educational and informational purposes only. Content posted on, created for, or compiled by Lybrate is not intended or designed to replace your doctor's independent judgment about any symptom, condition, or the appropriateness or risks of a procedure or treatment for a given person.