Alzheimer's disease occurs in old age due to cerebral atrophy. It causes dementia (forgetful ness, failure to recognize objects, disorientation.
To improve your memory follow the advice given below
1. Take balanced diet with proper combination of carbohydrate, protein and fat. Avoid diet high in saturated fats like red meat, whole milk, butter, cheese, cream, ice cream etc which hampers memory and concentration. Take complex carbohydrates like whole wheat bread, brown rice, oat meal, high fiber cereals, lentils, whole beans etc. Avoid processed foods like pasta, potato etc 2. Eat plenty of green leafy vegetables and fruits and drink green tea since they contain anti oxidants which enhance memory
3. Go for regular physical exercise like brisk walking, jogging, cycling etc for 30-45 minutes daily
4. Take some mental exercise like doing cross word puzzle, problem solving exercise, playing chess etc
5. Develop some new hobby and skill like learning music, dancing, playing new game etc
6. Take adequate rest. 7-8 hours of sound sleep in the night is required to remain healthy
7. Avoid alcoholic beverages, caffeinated drink, smoking and consumption of tobacco etc.
8. Develop healthy relationship with friends, relatives, family members for good emotional health
9. Avoid stress, anxiety, depression, agitation, severe physical and mental exertion
10. Focus on one task at a time rather than focusing on multiple task
11. Practice yoga, meditation, deep breathing exercise to calm your mind, control emotion, increase concentration and enhancing memory
Suggestions offered by doctors on Lybrate are of advisory nature i.e., for educational and informational purposes only. Content posted on, created for, or compiled by Lybrate is not intended or designed to replace your doctor's independent judgment about any symptom, condition, or the appropriateness or risks of a procedure or treatment for a given person.