Get help from best doctors, anonymously
Common Specialities
Common Issues
Common Treatments

I have a gum reducing problem. Till I noticed it. It was late. Now the condition is. I hav a whole on the right side of my gum above molar teeth. My front gums are down badly. My dentist came up with a conclusion that it was because of wrong way of brushing. I followed the way they showed me. Of strokes. Up and down. But that doesn't seem to stop the problem. Kindly advice is something over it. And also it is possible to regrow the gums?

1 Doctor Answered
I have a gum reducing problem. Till I noticed it. It was ...
Hello lybrate-user, thank you for asking your question. From the info that you have provided, we can assume that you are have what is called'recession' of your gums. Recession is simple words is'moving backwards' this can happen due to a few reasons. 1. As your previous dentist suggested, it could be due to wrong brushing techniques. You need to use a soft tooth brush and brush your teeth gently. 2. It could be because of some trauma to that area. 3. It could be genetic. Meaning it runs in the family. 4. Another reason could be poor oral hygiene. For this you will need to pay more attention to carefully brushing your teeth. So, the treatment usually depends on the cause. As we have not evaluated or seen your teeth and gums, we can only provide some treatment options. 1. A good cleaning of your teeth especially of those affected areas. It is called subgingival scaling and root planning. It will help to start the healing by removing all the harmful bacteria present that could be causing the recession or'moving' of your gums. You can observe for 3 to 4 weeks while maintaining excellent oral hygiene. You may see that the gums are slowly moving back to its normal position. 2. If its not healed or some areas are not healing you can also think of getting a flap or gum surgery done. The dentist will use this method to cover the exposed part of your teeth. This procedure depends on the amount of bone present underneath. If it's less, you will need a bone graft which has to been done by a skilled dentist. And depends on your general health. Use a soft brush and use a mouth wash. We hope you find this information useful and you get better soon. Regards.
1 person found this helpful
Suggestions offered by doctors on Lybrate are of advisory nature i.e., for educational and informational purposes only. Content posted on, created for, or compiled by Lybrate is not intended or designed to replace your doctor's independent judgment about any symptom, condition, or the appropriateness or risks of a procedure or treatment for a given person.