I want to know from a ortho dentist and gum specialist, that if a 18 to 20 year old child is gone through the braces and after an year during the procedure the gums starts swelling and increasing is part of procedure or is there any cure to be taken? Is there any chance to reduce the Gums by medicine? How risky and painful is gum surgery in this case? After Gum Surgery is it possible that the gums condition will solve for ever? The braces are still there and the ortho says its not possible for further treatment, Gum surgery is required and then he will again start the procedure.

I want to know from a ortho dentist and gum specialist, t...
Dear lybrate-user, inflammatory gum enlargement in response to braces is a well know fact. It often develops from poor hygiene maintenance during therapy. Gingivectomy (gum surgery) is a safe and the only option in cases of excessive gingival enlargement. The gums in extreme cases grow around the bracket and the wire both making treatment impossible. Please feel free to undergo the procedure under the hands of a skilled oral surgeon/periodontist. Hope you find this helpful.