Lybrate.com has top trusted Anesthesiologists from across India. You will find Anesthesiologists with more than 34 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Anesthesiologists online in Pune and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Cancer Pain Management
Epidural And Spinal Anesthesia Techniques
Diagnostic Cardiac Procedures
Treatment of Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimu
Submit a review for Dr. Shubhangi KothariYour feedback matters!
Mujhe 15 din Pehle chickengunia ho gaya tha. Abhi fever to Nahi hai but joints me baht pain hai. Swelling bhi aa gai hai. Pain ki vajah se knees par. Kay treatment sahi hoga.
My mother often has pain in her joints (mostly in knees). Is there any remedy for it to minimize the pain. Help me out in it?
I had an ovary cyst laser operation 2 month ago and after that an injection was given in bump. A big lump was formed after the injection. Noe after two months it it becom smaller but itis not going away and sometimes there is pain also in the hip and leg. Please suggest what I should do.
I am 22 year old male I have pain in my knee. When I run it will pain in my leg. After that if I give pressure to my knee it will be paining and difficult to walk and I can't get on stairs. And there is a sound from my knee when I move my leg upwards and downwards please help.
Lower back pain is among one of those ailments that brings life to standstill. Nowadays most common reason for absence at job or college is Back pain. It gives you nothing bur restless and depressed day and sleepless night. It ruins your life's small moments of joy.
What is low backache?
It is the pain that felt in lower back which usually originates from joints, bones, muscles, nerves or other structures in spine.
What is spine?
Vertebral column or backbone or spine consists of 33 bones; called as vertebrae. Lower 9 are fused in adults.
- Cervical spine in neck region: 7 vertebrae (C1-C7)
- Thoracic Spine in upper back: 12 vertebrae (T1-T12)
- Lumbar spine in lower back: 5 vertebra (L1-L5)
- Sacrum in Lower back Fused: 5 vertebrae (S1-S5)
- Coccyx (tailbone) fused: 3-5 vertebrae.
Significance of Vertebral column:
- The major function of vertebral column is protection of spinal cord.
- It provides stiffening for the body and attachments for muscles.
- It transmits body weight while walking and standing.
What is pain?
It is a message originates from the location of injury; travels through nervous system and received by brain where it is interpreted as PAIN.
- It is a sudden low back pain for abortion time.
- It can be because of trauma, trigger or a disorder such as Arthritis.
- It limits movements, flexibility and even results into inability to stand or sit straight.
- Acute pain can become more serious if left untreated.
When back pain persists for more than 3 months; it is considered as Chronic.
- Muscle strain or ligaments strain
Improper posture, repeated heavy lifting strain ligaments and muscles if back which result into muscular spasm and severe backache. There are 3 specific movements that are responsible for back injuries. Bending, lifting and twisting. The danger lies in performing any two or more if them simultaneously.
- Bulging or Ruptured intervertebral disc
- Spondylosis: Backpain caused by age related wear and tear of spinal discs.
- Spondylitis: It is inflammatory Arthritis affecting the spinal bones.
- Spondylolisthesis: It is forward displacement of vertebra over another.
- Skeletal irregularities: If spinal curve is abnormal backpain can occur.
- Osteoporosis: If vertebrae become porous and brittle, it can cause compression fractures.
- Coccydynia: Pain at tailbone is called as Coccydynia.
Pregnancy: Almost all women experience low back pain during Pregnancy. Maternal weight gain, increased lordosis (Curvature of spine), Stretching of ligaments, increased calcium demand can cause backpain in Pregnancy.
- History of illness
- History of injury, trauma, accident etc.
- MRI/CT SCAN
- Bone scan
- Nerve studies (Electromygraphy)
- Medicines such as NSAID (Nonsteroidal Anti-inflammatory Drugs) and Muscle relaxants
- Heat therapy
- Cold Compression therapy
- Spinal Traction:
- It is non surgical way of decompression therapy that relieves pressure in spine. It can be performed by physiotherapist or by machines.
- It is useful in backache due to slipped disc, herniated discs, Sciatica, degenerative disc diseases, pinched nerve etc.
- A physician can determine the need of traction and weight for traction based on your medical history.
Backache - Ayurvedic Aspects
According to Ayurveda Backache (Kati shool, Kati graha, Trik graha, Prushtha Shool) is one of the common disease occurring because of vitiated vata dosha, so it is considered as "Vata- Vyadhi."
Line of treatment of Vata - Vyadhi
Abhyanga (Massage): Sesame oil, Mahanarayan Oil, Prasarini oil can be used for Massage.
Swedan (Fomentation): Moist steam of herbs like Dashmool , Nirgundi etc.
Katibasti: Kati basti is pouring of lukewarm medicated oil and keeping it for sometime on the back region surrouded by ring made by black gram or whole wheat flour.
Basti: Basti is one of the most important treatments if vitiated vata. Basti can be performed in various forms according to stage of disease and constitution of patient.
Medicated oil and medicated decoction enema on alternate days for 8 days/15 days or 30 days.
Matrabasti: 60 ml medicated oil enema.
Panchatikta ksheer basti: It is most useful in management of degenerative bone disease, in which herbs like Adulsa, Guduchi, Nimb, Kantakari and Patol are cooked in cow milk. Sometimes cow ghee can also be mixed.
Medicines: Gokshuradi guggul, Trayodashang guggul, Yograj guggul can be used under proper guidance.
Ashwagandha, Musta , Vidang, Ajmoda , Chopchini, Rasna, Devdaru, Punarnava, Shatavari, Shankhabhasma are some useful medicines for backache.
Yogasana: Yogasana should be learned from experienced teacher. Some yogasana helpful for backache are:
- Supta padangushthasana
- Parivrutta trikonasana
- Supta vakrasana
DO'S AND DONT'S FOR BACKACHE
- Bend at knees, not at waist.
- Keep the object close to your body when lifting it. And keep low back straight.
- Think before you act.
- Learn exercise and perform regularly.
- Sit in proper posture, adjust your work desk accordingly, walk straight.
- Do not slouch.
- Avoid high heels shoes.
- Wear lumbar belt under proper guidance.
- Avoid stress. Lose weight if you are overweight.
If you wish to discuss any specific problem, you can consult an ayurveda.
I am getting neck pain very often especially while lifting an object with weight. May I know the reason?
I have back pain in right side of backbone mainly during eating .I am suffering from. Last 5 day .Due to this I couldn't eat properly .Day by day the level of pain is increasing.
I am 63 years old and having a problem of backache, when I sit down on the earth. Please advice me proper treatment.
Sir I want to join force but I have problem in my knee There is no much distance in my knee. My knees are attached to each other please tell me what can I do which exercise is best for me please explain with some pics I will be thankful to you.
Have a back problem for a few days simultaneously. What should I do? is there anything to be concerned with?
I have acute in my knee joints and in my shoulder joints I used to consult orthopaedic but after having medicines for at least two years but I did not got cured.
Hi, My mom is having a knee pain so we took her to physiotherapist and he did some treatment for 10 days and asked to wear a knee cap and given pain killer tabs and we did. But after his treatment my mom leg and ankle started swelling and pain. So please suggest me how to over come this. Thanks in advance.
Endometriosis is a painful condition where the endometrium tissue lining the walls of the uterus, grows as implants outside the womb of the patient. This can lead to a number of painful conditions and is often considered as a common cause behind severe pelvic pain, as far as women are concerned. Here is all you need to know about Endometriosis and pelvic pain.
- Painful Menstruation: Depending on the stage of the condition, the implants could remain on the surface or go deeper into the ovaries which may cause acute and severe problem during ovulation as well as the menstrual cycles. This is one of the symptoms that one must not ignore. If you are having painful cramps that affect the pelvic area and the abdomen, and if these cramps last throughout the duration of the cycle, then there are strong chances that you are experiencing the pain that comes with Endometriosis.
- Pain During and After Intercourse: While there are many reasons why women may face pain during intercourse, it may be noted that vaginal and pelvic pain that come during and after intercourse could point towards the presence of Endometriosis, which is causing irritation and discomfort due to the implants.
- Bowel Movements and Urination: Usually, pelvic pain may trickle down to and also get activated by the bowels when there is a motion as well as urination. This is a common problem that can cause pain, which spreads throughout the region if the patient is suffering from Endometriosis.
- Bloating and Other Symptoms: When the abdomen and nearby regions face bloating due to the implants and their painful spread, the pelvic region as a whole bears the brunt in terms of severe pelvic pain. The bloating and other symptoms like loose motions and constipation can also create pain in the abdomen and pelvic region on a persistence basis. Sharp pains may also shoot up and down the lower back due to such symptoms which should not be ignored if they do not abate within a few days.
- Misdiagnosis: Many times, the bloating and pelvic pain may be linked with pelvic inflammatory disease, which causes pain in the muscles and joints. But if you are having pain in the abdomen as well as problems during your menstrual cycle, then it may be helpful to have the tests for Endometriosis done as well.
In order to diagnose the condition, the doctor must ensure that proper imaging tests like MRI and CT scans as well as an ultrasound with lab tests based on blood samples have been conducted. The pelvic pain that comes with this condition can be treated with the help of pain relievers like ibuprofen and aspirin.