Lybrate.com has top trusted Rheumatologists from across India. You will find Rheumatologists with more than 25 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Rheumatologists online in Pune and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Shrikant Wagh
Submit a review for Dr. Shrikant WaghYour feedback matters!
What is arthritis of the knee?
The knee acts as hinge joint and allows flexion (bending) and extension (straightening). The knee is formed by the tibiofemoral joints, where end of the femur (thigh bone) glides over the top of the tibia (shin bone) and the patellofemoral joint where the kneecap glides over the end part of the femur. The gliding surfaces of the knee are covered with articular cartilage which helps the joint to glide smoothly. Over time the articular cartilage can become damaged or 'worn away' and this is known as osteoarthritis.
What is medial compartment arthritis?
Most people with knee arthritis have predominantly pain in the inner aspect of the knee, which is due to medial compartment arthritis. Patients who are born with varus knees (bow legs) are more likely to get medial compartment osteoarthritis. This is because the weight of their body mainly passes through the medial compartment of the knee rather than spreading the load evenly between the whole gliding surface of the knee.
How do you diagnose medial compartment arthritis?
ClinicaFeatures, examination findings and standing X-rays of the knee joint and the patello-femoral joint are needed to diagnose medial compartment arthritis. The X-ray will often show narrowing of the joint space in the medial compartment of the knee which suggest that a patient has medial compartment osteoarthritis. Long Leg standing X-ray of the whole of both of both legs from the hip joints to the ankle joints ( Fig 2), allows us to carefully examine the overall alignment of your legs. They help to calculate the weight bearing axis of your leg and find out where most of the force is passing through your knee joint. MRI would be done too, to assess degree of cartilage damage. It is imperative to know status of other structures in the knee like meniscus and ligaments.
Some patients are advised for a type of knee brace known as a medial offloading brace to trial. To a certain extent this mimics the result of osteotomy surgery by pushing the leg into a more normal alignment and taking the pressure of the damaged medial compartment. This is usually only a temporary solution whilst waiting for surgery. Patients who are overweight often find their knee pain is significantly improved when they lose weight. Simple analgesia such as paracetamol together with etodolac can help with pain and sleep disturbance form the pain.
Who requires surgery?
People suffering from growing cartilage lesions resulting in pain and activity restriction with proved mechanical axis deviation as the cause, would benefit from surgery. Age and extent of cartilage wear determine the nature of surgery. Younger individuals with smaller lesions are good candidates for a joint preservation surgery in the form of a High Tibial Osteotomy. With advancing age and extent of disease, Arthroplasty would be a
more beneficial option.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
I am 34 yrs old and I am working in the store, working around 6 hrs daily due to this reason leg will pain or what?
Till feb 2016 I was a regular runner, who approx. Runs for 3 km daily. But from last year feb onwards I experienced some sort of discomfort and heaviness on my both knees, but no pain .(i weighed 98 kg and height 185 cm - athletic built body). But by march 16 week 1 itself I experienced slight pain and swelling on knees. Eventually I stopped running and consulted few ortho doctors, they took x ray and prescribed many remedies and medicines, but in vain and I was so frustrated.(on june 2015 my left hamstring got injured while playing football and I hardly recovered from that) by april last I started my dieting along with consuming herbalife and gradually I started to loss weight. Naturally my knees got better, but still when I squat, creaking and popping sound can be heard followed by awful pain. Also till now I cannot run properly. Now in april I weigh jus 81 kg and I am happy but still my knees suffer when I squat. Also recently I found that I am also suffering from false curvature on both legs. Please suggest to improve my condition. Tnk u.
Acupuncture is a kind of therapy that combines needles with pressure and pain points in order to delicately apply pressure for pain relief. This form of physical therapy is being increasingly recognised as an efficient method of treating pain in joints, muscles, bones and even for migraine pain. So let us find out more about Acupuncture and pain management.
- Chronic or Long Term Pain: There are many ailments that cause chronic or long term pain. These include back pain, neck pain, stiffness in the joints, osteoarthritis, headache and migraine, and pain in the shoulders. All this can be treated over a long period of time with the help of simulated acupuncture which uses pointed apparatus for activating better blood circulation for overall improvement in the pain that is being experienced in the area. The use of this apparatus helps in avoiding the harmful medication that can have adverse side effects.
- Menstrual Cramps: A fine needle method at the right points can help in bringing down the symptoms of the painful condition called dysmenorrhoea during menstrual cycles. With acupuncture, the acupuncturist can administer acupoint therapy to relieve menstrual cramps. This will help in moving the qi, or life force, in a better way so that the pain will stop.
- Acute Pain: Over use of muscles, joints and repetitive, work related movements and strain can lead to acute pain. This includes wrist pain, shoulder pain, elbow pain, back pain, lower back pain, neck pain and even leg pain. With acupuncture, the patient gets rid of the pain in close to twelve sittings.
- Pain due to Cancer Treatment: Cancer and its treatment can take a heavy toll on the body and lead to a series of complications which also includes pain. A clean needle procedure can be followed along with the chemotherapy and radiation or after it, so as to relieve the patient of the pain experienced. Also, it can be used to replace traditional chemotherapy and radiation.
- Better Rest: When the needles or apparatus touch the pressure points and circulate the blood and life force, it actually creates a soothing effect and helps the patient sleep and get better rest. This is also a requirement for pain relief. It can bring better blood flow to the area and help in removing anxiety and stress related to pain so that there is better chance of getting rest.
With the use of acupuncture, pain can be taken care of with the needles and various tools that come in various shapes. These tools and equipment can also use laser treatment along with the point focused treatment.