Lybrate.com has top trusted Gynaecologists from across India. You will find Gynaecologists with more than 32 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Gynaecologists online in Pune and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Pabalkar Rashmi
Management of Abortion
Caesarean Section Procedure
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Termination Of Pregnancy Procedure
Treatment Of Pregnancy Problems
Well Woman Healthcheck
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Treatment Of Medical Diseases In Pregnancy
Treatment Of Menstrual Problems
Intra-Uterine Insemination (IUI) Treatment
Medical Termination Of Pregnancy (Mtp) Procedure
Gynecology Laparoscopy Procedures
Pap Smear Procedure
Submit a review for Dr. Pabalkar RashmiYour feedback matters!
Regular medical checkups and tests can be very helpful in prevention of cancer and growth of malignant cells or tumours. With the increase in the rates of cervical cancer, gynaecological checkups are of utmost need. For effective cervical cancer prevention, Pap smear bears the maximum number of success rates.
Pap smear is a medical procedure that helps to detect cancer or signs of other cervical infections. The Pap smear test however cannot detect ovarian cell cancer or uterine cancer. It is known to detect changes only in the vaginal cells and cervical dysplasia. Cervical dysplasia refers to the growth of pre-cancerous cells.
How this test is conducted?
1. Pap smear is conducted when the woman is not menstruating.
2. An instrument called speculum is inserted into one’s vagina to be able to access the cervix more easily.
3. Pap smear involves the collection of sample cells from the outer cervix area.
4. Cervical brush is inserted into the speculum and the sample cells are collected.
5. Then, the samples are put on a glass slide for further evaluation.
6. The Pap smear procedure takes only a few minutes bu can prevent serious medical problems in the long run.
7. The Pap smear is not a painful procedure, though it may be slightly uncomfortable for a few minutes only.
Who can undergo Pap smear?
1. Women can undergo Pap smear procedures once they are of 21 years of age and are generally sexually active
2. Women can go for pap smears up to the age of 70
3. Pap smears should be conducted preferably every two or three years
4. Women aged 65 and above and who have had no abnormalities in the last three consecutive tests, may stop taking pap smears
5. Before undergoing the test, it is important to stop douching and using vaginal creams for at least 2 days.
6. If there has been a case of multiple and frequent change of sexual partners, then you must go for Pap smear frequently
7. Women with weak immune system and who bear the risk of HIV Aids
8. Women who are heavy smokers. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a Gynaecologist.
Hello. Once prolactin hormone levels decrease from 56 to 7.76, should I go for injections for eggs or should I wait for pregnancy without injections or any other treatment.
After cesarian delivery my tommy being slim like now? Is cesarian delivery have no any effect on my figure?
Hello doctor. My mother does not get regular periods. There is time gap of 2 months and the flow is sometimes normal sometimes low. Her age is 40. Please tell is there any problem or suggest some medicines.
Hi am 35 years old, am diabetic patient taking insulin frm 1 yr, 10 days before after examination I became to know tht I have pcos problem, aftr doctor advice I taken meprate 10 mg fr 5 days, 7 days back I completed last tablet, still now I didn't got periods, when my periods start?
Before mensuration time I have to go through an unbearable pain in my back and stomach. Please advice me if the same can be reduced.
A miscarriage, though heart wrenching, does not imply the end of the world. Unless the miscarriage is an outcome of a serious health complication, there is nothing to lose heart. In fact, many women have had successful pregnancies even after a miscarriage. Barring a few exceptions, a miscarriage during the first pregnancy reduces the chance of a miscarriage during subsequent pregnancies significantly. However, it is best to get your doubts and apprehensions cleared before you try to conceive again. An experienced gynaecologist can assist and guide you better throughout the process.
- A lot of couples wonder about the right time to conceive after a miscarriage. Do not rush into things. Miscarriage can drain out a couple physically, mentally and emotionally. Give your mind and body some time to cope with the loss. Your decision to embrace parenthood should not be influenced by any undue and baseless pressure. Patience and perseverance will make the subsequent pregnancies less stressful. To avoid complications in your next pregnancy, it is best to wait 6 months to 1 year after a miscarriage.
- Do not indulge in sexual intercourse immediately after a miscarriage. This might result in immense pain and vaginal infections. If you experience any discomfort, share it with your partner and the physician concerned. Getting pregnant immediately after a miscarriage will do both the mother and the foetus no good.
- In case of two or more miscarriages, getting to the underlying cause becomes very important. Medical conditions such as Diabetes, Thyroid problems (Hyperthyroidism and Hypothyroidism), Obesity, Chromosomal aberrations or Infertility often interferes with pregnancy. With timely medical intervention, it is possible to have a healthy and safe pregnancy. To minimise the chances of a miscarriage, pregnant women are given Prenatal Vitamins (Folic Acid in particular).
- A pregnant lady should eat healthy and live healthy. The goodness of fruits and vegetables need no special mention. Regular consumption of fresh vegetables and fruits can do the mother and the developing foetus, a world of good. A healthy diet can lower the instances of a miscarriage greatly.
- Stress and anxiety are a big NO during pregnancy. Relax and try to be happy as much as possible. Go for small walks, read books, listen to music. Proper and sound sleep is extremely important. One can also indulge in light exercise. However, to be on a safer side, exercise under an expert supervision. If you have been to drinking and smoking, quit the unhealthy habits at the earliest.
A miscarriage should not push you into a state of depression. You can still have a normal pregnancy. Know your body well. Take the decision wisely only after a proper consultation with your physician.