Lybrate.com has top trusted Oncologists from across India. You will find Oncologists with more than 31 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Oncologists online in Pune and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Harish . A. Motwani
Submit a review for Dr. Harish . A. MotwaniYour feedback matters!
We live in an age where every single individual, more or less, is exposed to the risk of cancer. It is probably an unfavorable lifestyle we lead that deprives us of good health. This might alarm many but considerable changes in lifestyle can help you realize cancer as a preventable disease. Cancer does not only make you undergo severe suffering but it also affects your friends and family. The pallor of misery spreads wider than you think.
- Abstain from tobacco: Consuming raw tobacco or smoking tobacco can be equally detrimental to your health. Tobacco increases your chances of contracting the disease. As is known, passive smoking can also affect your health adversely. Tobacco can be the potential cause behind cancer of the mouth, throat, larynx, lungs, oral cavity and even the pancreas. It might harm your kidneys and cervix. It is upon you to quit tobacco at the earliest possible. One should also try and persuade friends and relatives to give up smoking.
- Drink alcohol in moderation: Complete abstinence from alcohol might not be possible if you have already been ushered into your work- life. The society might require you to be an occasional drinker. It is important to drink in moderation. Crossing the limit can propel consequences as serious as cancer of the stomach, pancreas, liver and the heart.
- A balanced and nutritious diet: Deciding on a plant- based diet or a Mediterranean diet can aid your fight against the risk of cancer. A Mediterranean diet will involve green leafy vegetables, lots of fresh fruits, whole grains, mixed nuts, legumes and also the use of extra- virgin olive oil. Fish can be a safe bet but red meat should be avoided. One must also try to avoid processed meat as they tend to make you prone to the risk of cancer.
- Immunization: Hepatitis B and HPV or Human papilloma virus vaccines are extremely necessary to protect you against the sexually transmitted types of cancer.
- Sun protection: Caring for your skin doesn't arise from vanity. Skin cancer is one of the most prevalent kinds of cancer; the chances of this disease can be restricted by remaining in shade especially during midday, by wearing covered clothes and by using a good sunscreen lotion repeatedly while outside.
- Exercise diligently: Did you think it was okay to have weaker muscles and bulging layers of fat? If yes, you probably have grown numb to the inadequacies you face in result. Unchecked fat can lead to obesity which further complicates health conditions. Metabolic activity differs from person to person. Regular exercising can help regulate metabolism according to the needs of your body. Physical exercise protects you against the risk of breast and colon cancer. Moderate or vigorous physical activity for 150 to 75 minutes a week respectively can reduce the risk of cancer. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a oncologist.
My mother age 45 years has neuroendocrine small cell carcinoma cervix that was diagnosed in august last year, stage 3B She was operated before receiving any chemotherapy and her uterus was removed. Then we started the treatment from a better hospital where she received 6 cycles of chemo (etoposide & cisplatin) and 28 days of external and two sessions of internal radio therapy (ovoid). The last PET CT she had was saying that the conditions are better and with no cancer been seen. The question I wanted to ask that there has been no medicines going on for stopping the recurrence of cancer from our doctors, are we on the right path. Is this how it suppose to be going with no further medicines? And what are the things that can be done to assure that there is no re occurrence.
What is blood cancer? What is its symptoms Nd lymphoma is a cancer or not can we cure it Pls help me.
My grand mother was died of colon cancer recently. At the age of 60 cancer was diagnosed. My grandmother's mother hadn't suffered from cancer. And my grandmother was very active upto her 50's. Later she suffered from constipation for 1 month. And had a swelling near urinary tract. It was removed by doctors. After few month we again had a scanning to her. Later reports showed that she had colon cancer and it was in final stage. This makes me thinks that my grandmother cancer was not hereditary. My question was in such case is there chance of having cancer to my mother. She was a second child. First child was a boy. And tell me the symptoms of cancer in initial stage.
I have been smoking for 3 years. On a daily basis I used smoke 1 or 2 cigarettes. Fortunately I have quit now. It has been 2 months since I quit. I can see a group of very small ulcers adjacent to one another inside my mouth which don't pain and are there from 3 weeks. At the same time I had 4-5 normal mouth ulcers that have healed but these small ones are not healing. So my ques is that is it possible for me to have mouth cancer? Or I already have it? And what's the cure, precaution and remedies?
Hi Sir, I had a breast USG done. My age is 26. My report says "a small solid SOL *(10.7 mm × 7.6 mm) noted in upper medial quadrant peripherally at 10. O clock position) (likely to be small fibroadenoma. rest everthing is normal. Please suggest medicine. Is this anything serious? I am using primosa 1000. Is anything else required?
Lump discovered please help Hi, I have never had a lump in my breast before I'm 24 years old and I'm worried. The lump is on the same side as where I had an abscess removed recently. It's red and inflamed on the outside and tender to touch. Wondering what it could be, thanks x.
Cancer develops when certain unhealthy cells of your body deviate from their normal lifecycle – they do not die - and start to accumulate, leading to the uncontrolled growth of abnormal body cells. These newly formed cells create a mass of tissue known as tumor that results in cancer. Cancer is a life threatening disorder and as per statistics, approximately 3.9 million Indians were diagnosed with cancer in 2016.
Several genetic, lifestyle and environmental factors contribute to the development of cancer - family history, smoking, alcohol etc.
Different Types of Cancer-
Cancers can originate in any part of the body and may spread to other portions/organs. most common types of cancer are-
1) Breast cancer- When cancer forms in the cells of the breast. This type of cancer is more common in women than in men.
- Change in the size and appearance of the breast
- Redness, peeling/scaling
- A newly inverted nipple
2) Prostate cancer- This is one of the most common types of cancer seen in men. It progresses gradually and remains confined to the prostate gland in the initial stages. In some cases, the cancer cells may grow more aggressively and spread to other body parts.
- Difficulty urinating
- Blood in the semen
- Pain in the pelvic region
4) Colon cancer- Colon cancer develops in the colon or the rectum. Initially, Colon cancer originates as polyps - abnormal growths found within the colon or rectum, that may become cancerous if left untreated.
5) Lung cancer- This is by far the leading cause of cancer deaths worldwide. It develops in the lungs and most often affects those who smoke. In 2013, 90,000 people in India died from lung cancer.
6) Leukemia- Leukemia refers to the cancer of the blood tissues including the bone marrow.
Can Ayurveda help treat Cancer?
The inception of Ayurveda began 5000 years ago. Since then, this branch of medicine is used to treat several disorders and ailments. What is more fascinating is that Ayurveda has now been proven credible in treating critical cancer as well!
- Ayurveda believes that health problems occur due to dosha imbalance - an imbalance of the five natural elements in the body – earth, fire, water, air and ether. Hence, the treatment involves an in-depth, holistic approach. Ayurveda heals the disease depending on the patient’s overall health and the body tissues affected.
- Ayurveda aims to purify your body of the toxins that cause the cancer cells to attack your body. Treatment involves using cleansing herbs along with a detoxifying diet. Herbs and essential oils are administered through the Panchakarma vidhi to promote blood circulation, restore the damaged tissues, and boost your immune system.
Conventional cancer treatment can be physically exhausting for the patient, and often have adverse effects on the body. Ayurveda therapies use natural remedies to cure the disease and prevent its recurrence. In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!