Lybrate.com has top trusted Orthopedists from across India. You will find Orthopedists with more than 25 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Orthopedists online in Pune and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Abhijeet Patil
Knee Pain Treatment
Spinal Surgery Disorders
Treatment of Neurological Problems
Treatment of Knee replacement
Treatment of Joint And Muscle Problems
Treatment of Nerve And Muscle Disorders
Acl Reconstruction Procedure
Hip Replacement Surgery
Joint Dislocation Treatment
Knee Care Procedures
Joint Replacement Surgery
Ankle Pain Treatment
Treatment of Spondylosis
Arthritis And Pain Management Treatment
Treatment of Joint Dislocation
Treatment Of Disk Slip
Treatment Of Herniated Disc
Submit a review for Dr. Abhijeet PatilYour feedback matters!
Mosquitoes, though tiny, can wreak havoc on the human health. Malaria and dengue were common enough, but now another disease doing the rounds is chikungunya. This is a viral disease that spreads by the bites of Aedes aegypti mosquitoes. The disease lasts for 5 to 7 days and the catch is that there is no identified cure for the disease.
Symptoms of chikungunya are very non-indicative and include high temperature, rashes and multiple spots on the body, multiple joint pains, headaches, conjunctivitis and insomnia problem. The presence of joint pains associated with a high incidence of mosquito breeding is indicative of chikungunya. The fever usually subsides in a couple of days, but the other symptoms would persist for about a week.
Management of chikungunya includes a combination of prevention and treatment. Prevention is more important than treatment as it is easier done.
- To the maximum extent possible, avoid mosquito bites.
- Avoid using rain water-filled containers, potted plants that stagnate water and drinking bowls for domestic animals.
- Wear full-sleeved clothing when mosquito bites are likely to be higher.
- Use mosquito repellents in the forms of coils, creams, and mats
- Use mosquito nets where possible
- Prevent mosquito breeding by draining possible areas of water stagnation
Treatment: There is no specific allopathic remedy for the treatment of chikungunya. The prescribed medicines are only for symptomatic relief, and given the intense and prolonged joint pains, the patient ends up using a lot of pain killers. There are cases where the pains may persist for up to 6 months. This is where Ayurveda comes into the picture, as there are multiple effective remedies that have been proven effective over the ages.
- Massage your joints with a mixture of castor oil, drumstick, camphor, garlic, and coconut oil. This oil can be heated and stored in a glass jar for about 3 days. Warm this oil and use it for effective relief of the joint pains.
- A mixture of castor oil and cinnamon can also be used to massage the painful joints.
- A concoction of ajwain seeds, raisins or dry grapes, tulsi leaves, and neem leaves boiled in water is an effective remedy for the joint pains. This is to be used when it is warm after food and the residual ingredients chewed upon.
- A diet rich in fresh fruits, greens and vegetables is highly recommended.
- Drinking sufficient amounts of liquids (water, coconut water, lime juice, and buttermilk) to keep good hydration levels and recuperate from the illness.
- Ensure sufficient rest for the joints even after the initial fever has subsided.
Ayurveda has references to something called “sandhijwara” which is “fever of the joints”. Sandhijwara is very similar to chikungunya and these remedies used for this can be very useful in treating chikungunya. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a doctor and ask a free question.
Gout: a brief idea: In the simplest of words gout can be defined as the inflammation of joints due to continuous accretion of urate crystals. An excess of uric acid can make a person suffer from gout. There could be a higher percentage of uric acid in a person's blood due to two chief reasons; an inept excretory system that fails to rid your body of surplus acid and also greater production of the acid. Arthritis is of three kinds; gout is one of those three. Homeopathy is known for its efficacy in treating gout.
Homeopathic remedies for gout:
- Urtica urens can cure gout: This homeopathic medicine is prescribed by a professional practitioner if the person is susceptible to cold. Urtica urens can work on a patient if he or she is allergic to snow, air, touch and water. Hive like eruptions on your ankles, wrists, and shoulders can be treated through regular consumption of this medication.
- Ledum can relieve you of pain: A painful, swollen area that develops on the small joints such as the joints of your toe fingers can be cured with the use of Ledum. The sensation of shooting pain in your limbs or feet can also be dealt with Ledum. Apart from that swollen small joints can be given momentary respite by falling back upon the cold compression therapy. Patients are advised to take this medicine if they exhibit intolerance to external warmth.
- Lycopodium is effective on sore joints: Chalky deposits of urate can be found in a person's knees. This results in chronic gout. Chronic gout has symptoms like limited urination. The urine may or may not have red sediments. People have also been reported with symptoms like extreme backache. Lycopodium successfully cures cases of unceasing gout.
- Try out benzoic acid for a big toe: If your gout is accompanied by stinking yellow urine you probably need Benzoic acid. Gout could be so severe that it might result in a stiff limb. In certain cases it makes a person limp. The thumb of your feet might get swollen making you have a big toe. A big toe usually kills you with tearing pain.
- Arnica deals with bruises: Arnica is your go to solution in case of a throbbing, stinging pain in any part of the body. This medication is a cherished answer to aches in every household. When gout is tender and it hinders free movement, this medicine comes to your aid. The medicine also heals bruised eruptions. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a Homeopath.
I have a bulging of disc problem in my lower back. I am doing hot fomentation from last couple of days Is it good to do hot fomentation? Or I should do cold fomentation? Or I Should not do fomentation at all.
When it comes to things which have a pretty high ability to cause aches and pains, osteoarthritis can be said to be near the top of the list, for sure. But, what exactly is to be done so as to reduce the adverse impact that it has on the life and wellness of a person? Well, for questions such as this one, it is great that the ancient and proven field of medicine that is Ayurveda has all the answers that one would need to be aware of!
If a person is an enthusiast of food cooked in a south Asian or east Asian style, then turmeric is something which would be quite familiar, to say the least! In addition to just the food, turmeric can go a long way in the effort to help people who are suffering on account of osteoarthritis. Turmeric has an ability to work against three enzymes in the body which cause inflammation, which are lipo-oxygenase, cyclo-oxygenase, and phospholipase A2.
So, it can be said that this is one item from the kitchen, which is worth keeping in mind for its alternative uses. As a matter of fact, it is not, by far, the only one as ginger is another which is useful in the treatment of osteoarthritis. This is especially true when it is a case of osteoarthritis of the knee. How ginger helps is that it prevents an enzyme which creates inflammation from having the full effect that it normally would have had. So, the amount of pain which is felt by the person is quite a bit less a good thing, is it not?
An aspect of curing osteoarthritis has to do with the diet, as well. So, it is important that in order to avoid the osteoarthritis from getting worse, fried foods are avoided, especially the things which are spicy. In addition to this, it is a good idea to use lentil soups as these provide nutrition but at the same time also help to reduce a person’s tendency to eat too much. The weight loss will also help make movement a fair amount easier. Quite a combination of benefits!
For someone who is going through pain on account of osteoarthritis, it is important to be on a regular meditation. While a person would not see the link between the two from a normal perspective, it is to be kept in mind that Ayurveda looks to balance not only the body but also the mind. So, there can be a reduced sensation of pain if a person meditates, which will help him or her live life better. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult an Ayurveda.