Treatment of Migraine Treatment
Weight Management Treatment
Removal Of Stitches Procedure
Thyroid Problems Treatment
Dressings Of Wounds Procedure
Prevention of Blockage, Atherosclerosis & Heart At
Hiv Prophylaxis Post Exposure
Viral Fever Treatment
Thyroid Disorder Treatment
Stitching Of Wounds Procedure
Submit a review for Someshwar ClinicYour feedback matters!
The debate about how sex affects sportspersons has been there for a very long time, but it is its reverse which is somehow more applicable. Research has shown that regularly engaging in sports or other physical activities such as exercising can have some really positive effects on your sex life. This has got to do mostly with improved metabolic activity in the cells from the increased motion and exercise.
Research suggests that engaging in exercise, sports and other physical activities result in an increase in flexibility and agility among people, thus aiding sexual prowess and performance. Also, it boosts levels of self-confidence, thus allowing you to believe that you are sexually desirable, (due to increased levels of fitness and toned musculature) which in turn also positively affects sexual capability- in providing higher levels of satisfaction to your partners. Apart from these, there are several other factors of sexuality that are also improved due to engaging in sports or exercise, like:
- Decreased risks of Erectile Dysfunction (ED): One of the most essential benefits of engaging in sports and exercise is that it lowers the risk of erectile dysfunction in men, due to an increased level of blood flow into your penis as a result of widening of the arteries. In this regard, research also suggests that you don't necessarily need to be overly fit or sporting to reduce chances of ED - even a brisk half hour walk works wonders.
- Improved quality of semen: Research has found that if you exercise or are engaged in some rigorous sporting activity for at least 15 hours per week, you will have higher sperm counts than your inactive counterparts.
- Increased libido: High levels of exercise pumps up testosterone levels in men and estrogen levels in women, which leads to better muscle growth and an increased sex drive in both sex.
- Increased chances of achieving orgasm in women: If you work out frequently, then the process of arousal works quicker for you and chances of orgasm is faster and with higher intensity, it gets increased exponentially.
- Heightened sensitivity: In women, the clitoris contains over 8000 nerve endings, which makes it very sensitive to stimulation, and increases arousal exponentially. Increased physical activity heightens the effect of this stimulus and makes sexual stimulation much more pleasurable.
Meat forms an essential part of the daily diet of many people. But it often gets difficult to choose between white meat (chicken or fish) and red meat (beef or pork or mutton) due to the numerous health benefits offered by both. Moreover, both kinds of meat have some health risks as well, which should be kept in mind while consuming either of them.
Read on to find how each type of meat may affect your health, and, which will be more beneficial for your body.
People who are more conscious about their weight often tend to choose white meat over red meat because of its lower fat content. For example, fat content in chicken is only about 11%, whereas pork contains about 45% fat. Moreover, the saturated fat content of red meat is about 2.64 times that of white meat.
100 gm of chicken breast has about 29.80 gm of protein, whereas the same amount of lamb and pork contain 22.51 gm and 27.55 gm protein respectively. In this case, consumption of white meat will prove to be beneficial as your body can absorb only 74% of the protein in red meat and 80% of the protein in white meat.
Other nutrient content
Red meat is rich in niacin, vitamin b12, riboflavin and thiamine, iron and minerals like zinc and phosphorus. While vitamin b12 aids proper nerve health and ensures that the red blood cells function properly, zinc is responsible for strengthening your immune system.
White meat contains fewer nutrients in comparison to red meat. However, fish contains a high amount of omega-3 fatty acids, which help in improving lipid profiles and prevent cardiovascular diseases.
Consumption of both types of meat has been long associated with increased risk of different diseases. The presence of myoglobin, a type of protein in red meat, is responsible for increasing the risk of certain types of cancer. Also, red meat has been often linked with increased chances of hypertension and heart diseases.
These days, feeding antibiotics to chicken for enlarging their size have become a common practice. So, consumption of this type of meat increases the amount of drug-resistant bacteria in your body and reduces the effect of useful drugs too.
While white meat still provides good health benefits, red is NOT RECOMMENDED!!
Piles or Haemorrhoids is a disease of the anal canal. The veins in this region get affected. They swell as blood stagnates inside them. This causes discomfort while passing stool. The most obvious symptoms of piles are bleeding and pain at the time of excretion or passing of the stool. For most of the patients with piles, sitting or standing becomes a tedious task.
What causes piles?
The primary reason behind the occurrence of piles is a patient’s sedentary lifestyle. Most of it also depends on upon his or her diet intake. Many of us consume a lot of carbohydrates, fats and proteins in our regular meals. But, we forget or are simply reluctant to take up physical exercises. This, in turn, leads to increase in body weight and hampers the activity of our digestive system. As a result, patients develop diseases like piles.
Diet plays a vital role in preventing piles. If we don’t add an adequate amount of fibre or roughage to our diet, there is a potential threat of developing piles. Fibres help with the convenient evacuation of the stool. In fact, fibres form the bulk of the stool. Besides, insufficient intake of water may also cause this disease.
Natural ways to tackle Piles
Piles can be managed or tackled by bringing in some changes in our lifestyle. Some of the ways of managing piles have been listed below:
- Add more roughage and fruits to your diet
- Exercise regularly
- Avoid laxatives
- Sit in a tub of hot water to get relief from the pain
- Drink plenty of water
Homoeopathic treatment for Piles
When it comes to the treatment of piles, Homeopathy is quite safe and an effective method to get rid of the problem. It doesn’t have any side effect on the patient’s health. It doesn’t include any painful surgery for removal of piles. Moreover, homoeopathy is budget-friendly. Here are some effective homoeopathic medicines, useful in curing piles:
- Hamamelis: This medicine is useful in stopping the bleeding in piles. It can cure any venous congestion and bleeding. It can also be taken when the patient develops a feeling of soreness.
- Ratanhia: It gives relief from the pain due to piles. A patient suffering from piles feels immense pain and a burning sensation at the time of stool evacuation and even for hours after that.
- Graphites: It is prescribed to a patient suffering from both constipation and piles. It is given to them who are obese, have skin eruptions and constipation.
- Nux Vomica: It is given to patients who have a sedentary lifestyle, take spicy food and are active smokers and alcohol drinkers. Usually, patients who have been advised to take Nux Vomica are aggressive in nature. It cures piles as well as digestive disorders.
Things to remember: These medicines are only some of the homoeopathic remedies available in the market. It is best to consult a homoeopathic practitioner for the perfect treatment.
Throat pain mainly occurs due to two conditions 'sore throat' or 'strep throat'. Often the terms 'sore throat' and 'strep throat' are used interchangeably, but they don't indicate the same thing. While a sore throat is a condition mostly followed by common cold, runny nose or congestion; strep throat is a bacteria induced infection. The bacterium called Streptococcus is responsible for strep throat.
The most common reason behind a sore throat is a viral infection like flu or cold. So, if you've a sore throat that is caused by virus, there is no reason to worry as it can be treated easily. But if you are suffering from strep throat or streptococcal infection, then antibiotic drugs for additional treatment will be required to avoid complications.
Signs and symptoms of a strep throat (which indicates that your throat pain is serious and needs attention) include:
- Pain while swallowing food
- Sore throat which usually persists for more than 48 hours
- Small red spots at the roof top of your mouth
- Swollen and red tonsils at times with streaks of pus or white patches
- Swollen, benign lymph nodes in your neck
- Body aches
- Vomiting or feeling of nausea, especially amongst younger children
When these signs and symptoms become noticeable, you need to promptly visit your doctor for test and treatment. And, if the reports indicate strep throat, then your doctor will prescribe you some oral antibiotics to reduce the complications and severity of symptoms so that it doesn't spread to others. You are advised to follow your prescription properly and stay indoors for at least a day after starting your medication.
Headaches are one of the most common symptoms experienced by most people. While a headache is not a disease per se, it is a manifestation of some underlying disease and can affect the quality of life. The underlying cause could range from something as innocuous as a hunger headache to a slightly more severe one like migraines to underlying neurological and vascular conditions like temporal arteritis. Common forms including a sinus headache, tension headache, cluster headaches, and migraines.
Ayurveda believes that the body goes through disease if there is an imbalance in one of the key components of the body, Vata, pitta, and Kapha. Restoring the balance will take care of not just the symptom but restore overall body health. Relief, therefore, is longer lasting with Ayurvedic solutions. Depending on the type of a headache, the imbalance varies, and treatment would differ and is aimed at restoring the lost balance.
Massage: Using natural oils like peppermint oil, lavender oil, or castor oil to massage the forehead or the temples can produce great relief. This also causes improved circulation and nerve stimulation, leading to pain relief.
- Add substances that produce cold like khus khus, buttermilk, ghee, and coconut water. Try castol oil and shikakai for hair wash and see a headache vanish.
- A mixture of green tea with a lemon squeezed in is one of the quickest reliever for a headache.
- A paste or lemon rind that is applied externally on the forehead and temples also provides relief from a headache and a soothing effect for the affected individual.
- A paste of cinnamon mixed with any essential oil or plain water can also be applied on the forehead and/or temple region for relief from the pain.
- Watermelon juice with sugar reduces the heat produced by the body and relieves a headache.
- Crush some ginger, add it to water, and bring it to a boil. This contains a lot of oils from the ginger, which is very soothing for the stomach. This has pain relieving properties and helps in relieving headaches.
- A glass of warm water with honey in the morning on a daily basis takes care of chronic headaches. It is advisable to drink this on an empty stomach daily.
In addition to the above remedies to relieve the headache, the following measures should be followed for prevention and/or reducing the frequency of headaches.
- Diet: Eating right by avoiding headache-inducing substances like cheese, chocolates, eggs, etc. On the other hand, going hungry can lead to hunger headaches.
- Exercise: The neck, shoulders, and scalp should be eased frequently through regular exercise. This also improves blood flow, thereby reducing headaches.
Try these measures and see your headache disappear.
The sciatic nerve is one of the largest nerves in the body. It goes from the lower back all the way down to the base of the leg. When there is a disorder associated with the sciatic nerve, it is known as Sciatica.
Sciatica, however, does not necessarily need a surgery or a very elaborate procedure to fix the problem. Most commonly, it is treated simply by practicing a number of simple exercises. Here are some of the most common exercises prescribed to treat Sciatica:
- Reclining Pigeon Pose: There are three main forms of the pigeon pose. These are sitting, reclining and then forwarding. It is recommended that if you have very recently started your treatment for Sciatica, then certainly you should go for the reclining pose. In this pose, you are supposed to hold your left leg in the air at a right angle to your back. Then, hold your ankle against the knee. Finally, repeat this stretch with the right leg as well.
- Knee to Opposite Shoulder: In this stretch, the starting position is on your back side. You have to have your legs out and feet upwards. From this position, try to bring your right leg towards your left shoulder. Hold this for 30 seconds and then release and relax. Repeat this activity three times and repeat the whole procedure with your other leg. Only take your leg as far as it goes.
- Sitting Spinal Stretch: At the start of this exercise, sit on the ground with your legs going straight outwards and your feet flexed in the upward direction. Pull your left knee and put it on the outside of your right knee. Finally, place your right elbow on the left knee, so that your body turns to the left. Hold for 30 seconds and then relax. Repeat the procedure with the other knee.
- Standing Hamstring Stretch: Put your foot on an elevated surface such that it is above the floor, but not above hip level. Flex your toes forward such that your feet and legs are nearly in a straight line. Bend as far towards the foot as possible. However, do not stretch so far that you feel pain. Finally, repeat this procedure on the other side after release.
My wife is suffering from PCOD problem. She is getting treatment from Gynecologist in Jharkhand since 4 months. Nearly 10 tests have been done to diagnosis the exact problem like FSH, LH, TSH, Prolactin etc. And found results are within good limit. Still she is not ovulating due to multiple cysts around the ovary. She has been doing regular exercises, yoga etc. What is the chance for her ovulation. Please suggest.
4 Superfoods and home remedies to get rid of acidity
Excessive secretion of stomach acids brings about the problem of acidity with heartburn and dyspepsia being its common symptoms. There are foods as well as home remedies that can help you to get rid of this problem.
Some of them are:
1. Bananas - Being an excellent source of potassium, this fruit helps to keep acid production in balance. Moreover, certain elements in bananas aid in increasing the production of stomach mucus that helps to protect the organ from adverse effects of excessive acid production. Even its high fiber content promotes digestion, preventing the occurrence of acidity once again.
2. Ginger - Consuming ginger can help to bring about a significant improvement in digestion, superior absorption as well as proper assimilation of important nutrients. This root is helpful in protecting your body from stomach ulcers by enabling mucus production, thereby decreasing the negative effects of acid on the stomach.
3. Melons - Melons are also extremely good for fighting acidity. They have a pH of 6.1 and can be had as whole or as fruit juice. Whether it is watermelons or honeydew, these are refreshing fruits filled with nutrients. Each bite of a watermelon, for instance, contains high levels of Vitamins A, C, and B6, amino acids, antioxidants and lycopene as well as potassium.
4. Mint leaves - Even mint leaves are helpful in slowing down the acid buildup in the stomach while improving digestion. Its cooling effect can help to cut down the pain as well as burning sensation associated with acid reflux.
In addition to having these foods, there are certain home remedies that you can try for fighting acidity:
- It's wise to have your last meal about 2-3 hours before your bedtime to allow time for digestion of the food matter.
- You should always have your meals at regular fixed intervals. Keeping too wide a gap between meals can cause you to suffer from acidity.
- To curb instances of acidity, it's best to avoid spicy foods and caffeinated beverages.
- Having a glass of lukewarm water daily can also help in combating acidity. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a Dietitian/Nutritionist.
I am 28 year old and it's been three days there is a swelling with red tip in the lower portion of my left butt cheek. I think it's an abscess. I am feeling shy of going to a doctor. Can you tell me any cure of that. From yesterday blood with pus started coming out of the tip. Please help.
Sir I am having pre ejaculation after having a intercourse of 2 mins how to overcome this and may I know some medicines which can increase the intercourse time.
Getting pain in right side below my chest from last 3 days. I have applied volini but not get relief. Also took dyegine sherup. But not get relief. please give me a better solution for that
hi i want to confirm if we do sex twice a month using condom is there chances of pregnancy. please tell me
My father is admitted in agresen hospital in delhi. He diagnoses 5000 platelet on Monday eve and admitted. Doctors gave him 4 times platelets from blood. But now its 4th day and there is no improvement in his platelet count. From yesterday 3 am to today 12 pm platelets are only still 10000. What to do doctor? please help My father is A+. And doctors can't detect any diseases yet. Yesterday night they give him more platelets. Phir b platelets 10000 hi he. Doctor please help him.
Many men begin their daily penis examination during their morning shower, and one of the last things they want to discover as the water cascades across them is a penis rash that wasn't there when they went to bed. Kudos are certainly due to these men for making penis health the priority it deserves to be; now they need to figure out what might be causing this unwelcome penis rash. That's why it's good to know about a fixed drug eruption and its relationship to a penis rash.
Fixed drug eruption
A fixed drug eruption is an allergic reaction to a particular medication or medications. If a person is allergic to multiple drugs and is taking them at the same time, multiple fixed drug eruptions may occur. The term "eruption" refers to the fact that the allergic reaction shows up on the skin in the form of lesions - or "erupts" onto the skin.
Most often, these lesions are round or oval patches of swollen skin, typically reddish in color at the start but often changing to brown or purple. There may be a blister accompanying the lesion, typically staying within the area of the lesion.
Why is it called a "fixed" drug eruption? The fixed refers to the fact that the lesion tends to show up in the same general area whenever the drug is taken. However, it should be noted that, with repeated use, the lesions may also start showing up on other parts of the body. So if a fixed drug eruption is first noticed on the penis, it may continue to recur there, but it may also show up on the lips, the hands, the feet, etc.
In most cases, lesions will appear between 30 minutes to 8 hours after administration of the drug. Often one lone lesion will appear at first. With repeated doses of the drug, it may either grow larger or more lesions may appear. Over time, especially after cessation of the drug, the lesions will "scab over." In most cases, they will disappear altogether at some point after the drug is no longer taken.
When the lesions are in a group, it may give the appearance of a penis rash. If solitary, it may seem more like a blister or blemish. In either case, it tends to be unattractive. More importantly, it gives the appearance of something contagious and possibly infectious.
In fact, penis rash from a fixed drug eruption is neither contagious nor infectious. However, because it looks as if it could be, it can be off-putting to partners, who may wish to avoid touching the penis until the rash is gone.
The lesions can also cause some discomfort for the man on whose penis they reside. They can be itchy in some cases. For some, they make the skin feel tender, which may decrease a man's desire for or enjoyment of sex (whether with a partner or by himself).
There are many, many drugs that have been implicated in the appearance of a fixed drug eruption. These include many forms of aspirin, many antibiotics, non-steroidal anti-inflammatories, sedatives and quinine.
If a penis rash (or rash elsewhere on the body) results from a fixed drug eruption, a doctor should be consulted to determine if an alternative medication may be used that might not have this side effect.
As a fixed drug eruption heals and the penis rash goes away, the skin may be in need of repair. Once any blistering has disappeared, using a first class penis health crème (health professionals recommend Man1 Man Oil, which is clinically proven mild and safe for skin) may help. The skin may need to be rehydrated so that it regains elasticity and suppleness. Using a crème with a combination of a natural moisturizer (such as vitamin E) and a high-end emollient (like Shea butter) will produce better results. Also important: Be sure the crème includes vitamin C, due to the role it plays in proper collagen production.
Constipation is a word which can scare us to quite an extent. In short we can say that one finds it difficult to discuss the issue and feels embarrassed to even talk about it. Most of the times a person tries to self administer medicines in order to get relief from the constipation bug as he is not willing to talk about it to his family, friends or as for that matter even a doctor.
But let us face the truth! constipation has become a very common problem nowadays and for some it has been like a daily routine. But what could be the possible reason behind the increase in the number of constipation stricken patients a doctor sees everyday.
- Unfortunately it is nothing but our poor lifestyle which is to be blamed. Poor eating habits, excessive junk consumption, stress, not drinking enough water, smoking, excessive alcohol consumption, pregnancy, over eating and not exercising could be some of the reasons.
- Once you suffer from constipation along with hardened stools you can suffer from irritability, abdominal bloating, mood swings, nausea and vomiting.
- Studies have clearly shown that about 14% of the indian population suffers from constipation.
- Constipation can be of two types organic and functional - organic being a deformation to the colon and functional can be due to a poor diet, less intake of fluids and continual stress.
- But make sure that you do not ignore the signs of constipation as it can lead to various other issues like haemorrhoids, anal fissures, diverticulitis and so on.
Here are some effective home remedies which can help you in bidding adieu to the'hardened stool mania'-
1. Castor oil
- Castor oil is a great remedy for constipation.
- Castor oil is a great remedy for constipation.
- Castor oil can work wonders! yes I am serious. It has been used for ages by our fathers and forefathers for treating constipation. Castor oil acts as a great laxative as it increases the movement of the intestines and helps in clearing it out instantly. It basically acts as a lubricant and helps in getting out the waste quickly without much ado.
How to consume it- take 1 tsp of castor oil with a glass of warm water in the night at bedtime. Next morning you should be able to freshen up really well.
- Prunes are a super remedy for constipation.
- Prunes are a super remedy for constipation.
- Prunes are nothing but dried plums which are endowed with the goodness of fibre and sorbitol. Fibre as we all know is known to facilitate the smooth functioning of our bowels and sorbitol, a natural form of sugar which does not get digested easily and hence can draw loads of water while its way to the intestines and add bulk to the stool.
- How to consume it- consume 3 prunes for at least a week everyday. You can also have a glass of warm water if required.
3. Aloe vera juice
- Aloe vera forms a gel and helps in getting rid of constipation.
- Aloe vera forms a gel and helps in getting rid of constipation.
- While aloe vera juice has been thought to be great for the skin and hair, it can actually help you in relieving constipation. Aloe vera juice can form a gel like substance in the tummy leading to mucus formation and increased intestinal peristalsis. It can also draw more water leading to the easy passage of stools.
How to consume it- consume around 30ml of aloe vera juice (unsweetened and stabilised) with a glass of water at bedtime or early in the morning on waking up.
4. Flax seed oil
- Flax seed oil for constipation.
- Flax seed oil for constipation.
- Flax seed oil is known as a great remedy for constipation. It can again act as a lubricant and coat the stools in such a way which leads to easy passage of the same. In short the stools are able to sail freely through the intestines without an issue.
- How to consume it- consume 1 tsp of flax seed oil with a glass of warm water mid-morning for almost a week and see magical results.
- Yogurt is good for your digestive tract.
- Yogurt is good for your digestive tract.
- If you need to keep your tummy healthy then its essential to consume yogurt. Why yogurt? because it promotes growth of good bacteria in the gut and helps in preventing or considerably lessens the effects of constipation. So if you have to make your digestive system strong then its mandatory to consume yogurt on daily basis.
- How to consume it- add a cup of yogurt to fresh fruits or add it your breakfast cereal bowl.
While these remedies can relieve the problem of constipation efficiently, there are times when these might not work. By that I mean severe cases of constipation. If the problem is persistent then its best to visit a doctor and follow the advised prescription.
In addition to these remedies-
- Eat a fibre rich meal comprising of fruits, veggies, brown rice, oatmeal etc.
- Drink at least 12-15 glasses of water.
- Exercise for at least 25-30 minutes.
- Reduce your stress levels.
- Get adequate rest and sleep at least 8 hours each day.
- Make these changes and see the problem of constipation saying bye bye soon.
Take homoeopathy and put your diabetes under control.
Homoeopathy works miracle which can drop down insulin level or help the patients to get rid of a numerous medicines you are taking in order to put your diabetes under control.
- For proper treatment it needs a thorough case analysis to prescribe correct medicines but still I am sharing some medicines which probes very significant in decreasing the blood sugar level effectively.
- Apart from medicines some lifestyle management is necessary which I can suggest on demand through consultations.
- Medicines effective for controlling diabetes are as follows:
- Abroma augusta: one of the best homeopathic medicines for diabetes with loss of flesh and weakness
Abroma augusta is the top natural homeopathic medicine to treat diabetes mellitus. Its use is highly recommended in those patients who are losing flesh and suffer from extreme weakness due to diabetes mellitus. The patients who can greatly benefit from this homeopathic medicine have an increased thirst with dryness of mouth. They also have an increased appetite and the urination is very frequent day and night. Excessive weakness is felt after urination. Homeopathic medicine abroma augusta is also of great help in treating sleeplessness in a person with diabetes. Another sphere in which this homeopathic remedy yields good results is skin complaints like boils and carbuncles in a diabetic patient. Burning sensation in the whole body is a prominent general symptom that can be found in persons requiring abroma augusta.
Phosphorus- one of the best homeopathic medicines for diabetes with weakness in vision
Phosphorus is a natural homeopathic medicine of great help for treating diabetes mellitus, though its use depends completely on the constitutional symptoms of the patient. Homeopathic medicine phosphorus is a remedy of great help for weakness of vision in a diabetic patient.
Syzygium jambolanum: top homeopathic medicines for reducing sugar levels
Syzygium jambolanum is among the best natural homeopathic remedies for the treatment of diabetes mellitus. It acts promptly and efficiently in decreasing the sugar levels. Excessive thirst and excessive urination are always present in the patient. Homeopathic medicine syzygium jambolanum also gives wonderful results in treatment of long-standing ulcers in a diabetic patient.
Phosphoric acid: one of the homeopathic medicines for diabetes with extreme weakness
Phosphoric acid is an excellent natural homeopathic remedy for extreme weakness, either mental or physical, in a diabetic patient. Such patients feel exhausted all the time. They have a weak memory and are forgetful. Some sort of history of grief may be found in patients requiring this homeopathic medicine. For numbness of feet in patients of diabetes mellitus, phosphoric acid is the best homeopathic remedy.
Gymnema sylvestre: homeopathic treatment for diabetes mellitus with weight loss
Gymnema sylvestre is a natural homeopathic medicine of great help for patients of diabetes mellitus who are losing weight with weakness and exhaustion. In such patients, this homeopathic remedy works as a tonic resulting in improvement of overall health. With homeopathic medicine gymnema sylvestre, the patient puts on weight and feels energetic.
Hi, Mere husband ki age 35 hai. Unki endoscopy hui thi. Jisme Duodenal Ulcer nikla hai, Mai ye janna Chahti thi kis type ki diet se ye jaldi thik ho sakta hai ya kya precaution lene chahiye. please help me for that
Some heart defects are present right from birth. We discuss the role of your genes in making you vulnerable to heart disease.
Do you love to eat up the whole fruit? Or, is it the freshly crushed juice that appeals to you more. Both as you know are healthy options. However, is there really a difference between the nutritional value of the two, if it involves the same fruit?
The answer is a big 'Yes'.
While freshly squeezed fruit juice is a healthy addition to your daily diet, it cannot replace eating whole fruits (or vegetables). In the choice between juicing and eating whole fruits, though juicing has its advantages, the latter offers more nutrition. Here's why.
Advantage: Juicing is convenient
The convenience of gulping down a glass of juice versus eating a whole fruit is one of the biggest advantages of juicing. However, this counts as a convenience only if you aren't making the juice and cleaning the juicer yourself. When you have to make your own juice, it probably would be easier to simply cut and eat the fruit.
Advantage: Juicing makes it easier for the body to absorb nutrients
Juicing is said to make absorbing nutrients easier for people with digestive diseases such as inflammatory bowel diseases. This is because the process of juicing removes fibers thus giving the digestive system less work to do. Another advantage is eating a whole fruit fills you up more than drinking a glass of juice. This allows you to take in higher amounts of vitamins, minerals, enzymes etc. However, this theory has not been proved.
Disadvantage: Juicing removes fiber
Though the removal of fiber makes it easier for the body to digest fruit juice, this loss of fiber is actually a disadvantage for people with a healthy digestive system. Since the digestive system does not have to work on digesting fibers in juice, the body uses fewer calories in the process. Lesser calories burnt imply lesser weight loss. Since juices are digested faster than whole fruits, hunger is satisfied for shorter periods of time leading to an increased appetite.
Disadvantage: Juicing removes flavonoids
Along with a loss of fiber, flavonoids found in the skin and fruit pulp are also lost in the process of juicing. Flavonoids have been linked to longevity and are best known for their antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties that help prevent a number of cardiovascular diseases. In citrus fruits, the whole fruit is said to have five times the flavonoids as a glass of juice made from them.
To fuse the convenience of juice and the healthiness as whole fruit, use a blender instead of a juicer. This way, you don't lose any fruit pulp and can enjoy a tasty glass of juice. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a Dietitian/Nutritionist.
Urinary incontinence, commonly known as loss of bladder control can really cause embarrassment. The severity of this condition may range from once in a while leaky urine to the sudden and forceful urge to urinate, due to which you end up urinating before reaching the toilet.
Types of Urinary Incontinence:
- Stress Incontinence: When you feel the urge to urinate due to sneezing, coughing, laughing or while doing physical exercise
- Urge Incontinence: When you feel the urge to urinate, suddenly. This may occur during the day and even at night.
- Functional Incontinence: When you cannot reach the toilet on time because of a physical or mental impairment.
- Mixed Incontinence: When you involuntarily urinate due to more than one incontinence
Stress incontinence is the most common type in women. The activities which increase your risk, are:
You have had more than one pregnancy and vaginal delivery.
You have pelvic prolapse. This is when your bladder, urethra, or rectum slide into the vagina. Delivering a baby can cause nerve or tissue damage in the pelvic area. This can lead to pelvic prolapse months or years after delivery.
Female urinary stress incontinence is the involuntary release of urine during any physical activity that puts pressure on your bladder. This potentially embarrassing condition differs from general incontinence in that it happens when the body is under immediate physical stress. Activities that can put stress on your bladder include coughing, sneezing, laughing, lifting heavy objects, or bending over. This condition is particular to women, many of whom experience symptoms after muscles have been weakened due to a vaginal childbirth, following menopause, or during pregnancy.
Ensure that you consult a doctor:
- If this condition hinders your day to day activities
- If the urinary incontinence is the result of a serious underlying problem
Causes of Urinary Incontinence:
Urinary incontinence may be temporary or permanent. Causes for temporary incontinence are-
- Caffeine and caffeinated drinks
- Decaffeinated tea or coffee
- Spicy and sugary foods
- High intake of Vitamin B or C
- Urinary tract infection (UTI)
Causes for Permanent Incontinence are:
- Old age
- Prostate cancer
- Enlarged prostate
- Neurological disorders
Chronic urinary incontinence can lead to certain complications like:
- Skin Problems: Skin rashes and infections can develop around the vaginal area, because of the constant wetness one feels. It may also cause sores.
- Urinary Tract Infections: Urinary incontinence can also result in UTI
- Impact on Personal and Social Life: Urinary incontinence can lead to great embarrassment, thus affecting the social and personal life of an individual.
Treatment for Female Stress Urinary Incontinence:
There are several types of treatment available. Treatment options include lifestyle changes, medications, nonsurgical treatments, and surgeries.
- Lifestyle Changes: Make regular trips to the restroom to reduce the chance of urine leakage. Drink fewer fluids and avoid activities such as jumping and running.
- Medications: Medications that reduce bladder contractions.
- Nonsurgical Treatments: Kegel exercises strengthen your pelvic muscles. Done regularly, these exercises can strengthen your muscles, allowing you to control when urine is released from your body.
If other treatments fail, you will have to go for surgical treatment. Types of surgery include:
- injectable therapy, in which collagen is injected into your urethra to reduce incontinence
- tension-free vaginal tape (TVT) surgery, in which mesh is placed around the urethra to give it support
- vaginal sling surgery, in which a sling is placed around the urethra to support it
- anterior or para-vaginal vaginal repair surgery to repair a bladder that is bulging into the vaginal canal
- retropubic suspension surgery to move the bladder and urethra back into their normal positions
Some doctors even try electrical stimulation and medication. When the condition is highly advanced interventional therapies and surgery is recommended.
Some interventional therapies are:
- Bulking material injections
- Botulinum toxin Type-A
- Nerve stimulators. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a Urologist.