Doctors in Fortis Hiranandani Hospital
Treatment Of Acne/Pimples
Weight Loss Treatment
Treatment of Headaches
Treatment of Fever
Treatment of Hair Fall
Treatment of Red Eyes
Back Pain Treatment
Treatment of Pain
Treatment of Masturbation Addiction
Treatment of Hair Loss
Treatment & Management of Cold
Treatment of Stomach Pain
Treatment of Body Weakness
Treatment of Pregnancy and related Disorder
Treatment of Female Hair Loss
Treatment of Dandruff
Prevention & Treatment of Diabetes
Treatment of Itching
Treatment of Depression
Treatment of Greying Hair
Submit a review for Fortis Hiranandani HospitalYour feedback matters!
The skin has a protein called keratin that protects it from infections and other harmful toxins. For various reasons, mostly unknown but likely genetic, there could be a buildup of this keratin leading to small, light-colored, hard bumps under the skin that can feel like sandpaper. This condition is medically known as keratosis pilaris. These pillars of keratin block the hair follicles that open onto the surface of the skin, and when a number of follicles are blocked, it leads to dry, bumpy feeling. In common words, it is also referred to as chicken skin, chicken bumps, or goose bumps.
Occurrence: The onset is usually in the first decade of life, continues to grow in number in teenagers (80%), and slowly subsides as they grow older (40% of adults). People with dry skin are more likely to have these bumps than people with oily skin. The most commonly affected areas include upper arms, thighs, buttocks and very rarely on the face.
Cause: This is a genetic disorder, and the bumps are due to excessive formation and buildup of keratin due to faulty genes. There could be surplus skin formation under these follicles or hair follicles trapped under these bumps. There could be a small area of inflammation and redness around the bumps.
Weather Correlation: Keratotis pilaris is more common and evident during the winter months when the skin is normally drier than in summer months. Some people could have this condition lifelong, with only manifestation seen in winters and complete absence of bumps in the summer months.
Symptoms: The condition is usually asymptomatic, except for the dryness, and does not cause itching or medical harm. The esthetic concern, especially if in upper arms, is the only concern. Some people could be affected by the hard, bumpy feeling of the skin. There are no long-term medical symptoms or harmful effects of this condition though.
Treatment: No treatment is required; however, moisturizers may be required to prevent the bumps from drying up. In very severe cases, creams may be used to remove dead skin cells and to prevent plugged follicles. Alpha hydroxy acid, salicylic acid, or lactic acid containing creams can be used to remove the dead skin cells. These also help moisturize the skin and reduce dryness. Vitamin A containing creams can be used to unplug the hair follicles.
A word of caution though - these creams can cause itching and redness. Since this condition is prevalent in children, these creams need to be used only if absolutely essential and with medical prescriptions. The condition is harmless and self-limiting, so no treatment is mandatory. Patient education is of utmost importance in these cases
A bone fracture occurs when a strong external force is applied on the bones causing it to break. It is an extremely painful condition that results in days of immobility and rest. There are several reasons which can result in bone fracture, some of them being:
1. Injuries caused in sports
Any sport requires and demands extreme physical exertion and participation. Being involved in any sport therefore automatically increases your risk of incurring injuries. Bone fractures therefore are mostly reported during sports.
Due to the deficiency of calcium, the bones of both men and women tend to get weak and more susceptible to fracture and breakage. It is one of the primary causes that lead to bone fracture.
This also refers to a condition wherein the bones become weak and brittle. Much like osteoporosis, osteomalacia too significantly contributes to instances of bone fractures.
This is a rare form of bone cancer that most often develops either near the femur or near the shinbone. An instance of this form of bone cancer is most often found in children and weakens the bone, consequently leading to fractures.
One of the most common symptoms of bone fracture is perceptible swelling. If any of your bone is fractured, that particular part will be visibly swollen.
Bones give your body the shape it has, thereby, any fracture anywhere would inevitably manifest itself as a clear deformity of that particular part.
3. Extreme pain
It goes without saying that a bone fracture would entail excruciating and extreme pain. This pain sharply increases with mobility thereby necessitating complete rest.
4. Temporary loss of function
The part of the body where the bone is broken temporarily becomes dysfunctional. For instance, if the bone in your hand is broken, you will find it extremely difficult to move and do any work with it.
Similar to blackheads are whiteheads, which develop on our skin. Both blackheads and whiteheads are caused due to clogged pores. However, as opposed to blackheads, whiteheads cannot be extracted. Whiteheads are a form of acne that is referred to as closed comedones. They appear on the skin as small round white-coloured bumps. When excess oil is secreted in the skin, oil along with dead skin cells clog the pore area and block the pore opening resulting in whitehead formation. Unlike blackheads that keep the pore open, whiteheads, on the other hand, keep the pores closed.
However, they may evolve into a pustule or other acne lesion when bacteria gets involved.
Causes of whiteheads
Clogged pores are the prime reason that causes whiteheads, and they can occur due to any of the following reasons:
- Excessive oil secretion or sebum
- Hormonal changes occurring due to puberty, pregnancy, and menstruation
- Birth control pills
- Sweating and humidity
- Use of certain cosmetics or products that are harmful
- Eating excessive oily or greasy foods
- Genetic predisposition
Treatment of whiteheads
With extreme conditions, oral medications like isotretinoin may be prescribed, but these come with potential side effects. Here are some remedies you can try to get rid of whiteheads: Tea tree oil: Dab a cotton swab with tea tree oil and apply it on the whiteheads to prevent bacterial infection.
- Wash your skin twice daily with lukewarm water and mild soap.
- Don’t squeeze pimples.
- Practice caution while shaving.
- Avoid excessive exposure to sunlight.
- Use oil-free skin products.
- Remove makeup before going to bed.
- Opt for non-comedogenic or non-pore-clogging products.
- Wear loose-fitting clothing made of non-synthetic fabrics to let your skin breathe.
- Wash your hair regularly.
- Change of pillow covers periodically is essential as oil and dirt may accumulate in the covers.
Here are some remedies you can try to get rid of whiteheads:
The above are just some measures to avoid whiteheads. If the problem persists, then it's time to seek medical assistance and schedule an appointment with a dermatologist to eradicate these pesky whiteheads.
Achalasia is a very rare disease. Normally, your esophagus squeezes food down by making the muscular valve in between the stomach and esophagus relax. Achalasia occurs when this muscular valve is unable to relax and thus the esophagus is unable to squeeze the food down. The most common reason why this happens is because the nerves in your esophagus are damaged. The nerves most commonly get damaged because of abnormalities in the way your immune system responds. Till now, there is no cure to achalasia; however surgery or minimally invasive therapy can make the symptoms of achalasia more manageable.
Here are all the causes and symptoms of achalasia:
If the food is regurgitating in the night, then the lungs may have been inhaling some food. This is very serious and you should see the doctor immediately if this occurs.
3. Chest pain
You may suddenly experience chest pain from a completely unknown cause.
4. Weight loss
You may also suffer from sudden weight loss if you have achalasia. This is due to the reduced amount of food you will be consuming.
Heartburn is when you have a very intense burning pain in your chest just behind your breastbone which is most commonly caused by regurgitation in your esophagus.
The exact cause of achalasia is not yet known. However, there are some theories on what causes achalasia. Here they are.
The most common cause of achalasia is genes.
2. Autoimmune disease
An autoimmune disease is when your immune system attacks your body's own cells. Achalasia is a type of autoimmune disease.
There have also been a lot of claims that infections are the cause of achalasia.
Ayurveda is an age old system of medicine that is holistic in nature. Treatment in Ayurveda focuses on getting rid of the cause of the disease. The medicines in Ayurveda are natural and thus, do not have any side effects. There are various remedies in Ayurveda to balance your blood sugar level. Blood sugar occurs either due to decreased insulin sensitivity or inefficient absorption of glucose by the cells in the body.
The various remedies to balance blood sugar in Ayurveda are
Diet: You should pay close attention to your diet, as diet plays a primary role in maintaining healthy blood sugar levels. Eating foods that can cause your blood sugar levels to hit the roof should be strictly avoided. Simple sugars are the main culprit, and any food that contains simple sugars like refined foods and most fruits need to be avoided.
Exercise: Exercise is a must if you want your blood sugar under control. Include cardiovascular exercises like running and swimming that helps in burning calories and regulate blood sugar. It also helps you lose fat and reduce weight. Exercises also uses the sugar in your blood thus, causing a drop in the blood sugar levels.
Avoid stress: If you are feeling stressed lately then you may employ relaxation techniques such as meditation. You can start off with simple meditation techniques such as focusing on your breath. Count to 4 while you inhale and then hold your breath for seven seconds, then exhale while you count to 8. Repeat this procedure for 10-15 minutes on a daily basis.
Herbs: You can include fenugreek in your diet, you may consume them by soaking them overnight in a glass of water and then drinking the water after straining it. It has been known to reduce blood sugar levels. Holy basil or tulsi is another herb that has a beneficial effect on the blood sugar level in the body. It also corrects hormonal imbalances and improves your overall wellbeing. You can also add cinnamon powder while cooking to maintain insulin sensitivity.
Our skin has a tendency to become harsh, dry and aggravated during specific seasons and with age. As per Ayurveda, it happens because of the collection of vata in the body. When there is excess of vata, we are inclined to dry skin, acne, dry hair and weak nails. Vata can appear in the body even faster in case you are under stress. Here are some Ayurvedic tips that will decrease the vata accumulation in the body and will help you remain young and keep your skin healthy:
- Have some tea: Vata is dry and cool by nature so your skin will remain healthier looking, if your keep these two qualities under control. Remain hydrated for the duration of the day and have warm fluids, for example, herbal tea. Making some hot tea with crisp ginger and lemon will wake you up toward the evening and keep your absorption healthy, which is important for shining skin.
- Keep exercise regular: Exercising is fundamental in keeping the Vata from spreading further. Exercising is recommended to keep your muscles and joints sound and healthy while helping you sweat out the toxins. Exercise will likewise enhance blood flow, absorption, and give you a solid skin
- Practice yogic breathing: High levels of mental anxiety are one of the significant reasons why Vata gets disturbed. It truly sucks out all the good juices from your skin making it dried out. Breathing can be an exceptionally powerful anxiety buster that you might need to consider.
- Snooze off with sunset: Aggravated Vata frequently causes anxiety, which can lead to a sleeping disorder. Any healthy skin proficient or Ayurvedic specialist will tell you that getting no less than seven hours of rest is something worth it in order to have a scar-free glowing skin.
- Use skin moisturiser: Staying hydrated within is vital yet you should not disregard dealing with your outer skin all things considered, too. Purging and saturating are the most essential to keeping your skin sound and youthful.
IUI- IUI is a procedure during which processed and concentrated motile sperm are inserted directly into a woman’s uterus. This procedure is timed according to a woman’s ovulation, and may be performed one to two times in the days immediately following the detection of ovulation. After ovulation a woman’s egg is picked up by the fallopian tube and waits there for the sperm. Since the IUI procedure deposits higher concentrations of good quality sperm close to where the egg is waiting, the chances that the egg and sperm will find one another are increased.
IVF- IVF is the most successful method of fertility treatment utilized today to help couples to conceive. The basic components of the IVF process include stimulation of the ovaries to produce multiple eggs at a time, removal of the eggs from the ovary (egg retrieval), fertilization of the eggs in the laboratory, and subsequent placement of the resulting embryos into the uterus (embryo transfer). The chance of pregnancy from IVF depends primarily on the age of the woman, the cause of infertility, and factors related to the quality of the IVF laboratory.
Success Rates Of Both Treatments
IUI Treatment: There is a marked difference between IVF and IUI pregnancy rates. IUI has a success rate between 5% and 20%, but it can even be as low as 1-2 %, depending on the woman’s age and fertility levels. The chances of conceiving through IUI is higher if fertility drugs are administered along with the treatment.
IVF Treatment: IVF has a high success rate – between 20% and 35% and it can even go as high as 40%. This may not seem like a lot, but it is very high, considering that an average young and fertile couple has only a 15-20% chance to conceive in a month. It is important to understand what IVF and IUI success rates mean and the factors that affect it before deciding on a fertility treatment. You can also use any reliable online IUI vs IVF comparison tool to determine your approximate success rates with each of these treatments, depending on your age, lifestyle, and medical history.
You should use online sources of information to understand more about fertility problems, how age affects fertility levels, and whether freezing your eggs is a good option for you. However, discuss all these issues with your doctor to ensure that you have the right information and that you have understood it correctly. Fertility specialists provide you with personalized fertility plans based on your health which is why you should always talk to them before you make any decision.
Fistula-in-Ano is a type of an abnormal hollow cavity that is lined with granulation tissue. It connects a primary opening inside the anal canal to the second opening in the perianal skin. Ayurveda has perfect surgical techniques which can help you root out this problem without leaving any chances of recurrence.
Kshar Sutra is basically an ayurvedic parasurgical treatment that involves management of Anorectal disorders for treating Fistula-in-Ano. The technique is minimally invasive in nature. Following are some of the tips related to the Ayurvedic Management & Kshar Sutra in Fistula-in-Ano:
Safe and Extremely Cost-Effective: This type of surgery uses a thread, also known as Kshar Sutra, especially prepared by herbal chemical cauterization. Cauterization is the medical practice of getting part of the body burnt, for either removing or closing off a particular part to cure diseases like Fistula-in-Ano. Hence, people can safely go for this treatment procedure because there is absolutely no risk element involved. Moreover, as the use of thread is involved in treating the problem, so basically, the minimum expense is involved. So, patients need not pay much.
Customized Treatment: Usually, three kinds of Kshar Sutra get used, depending upon the number of coatings and the quality of materials implemented. Coatings are created with ayurvedic herbs and treatment for each and every patient takes place in a customized manner depending upon their individual requirements.
Can Get Rid of Other Disorders: While undergoing the Kshar Sutra treatment for Fistula-in-Ano, patients are even routinely investigated with a special type of reference for any other associated disorder like Hypertension, Tuberculosis, Diabetes Mellitus etc.
So, Kshar Sutra not only helps people to get relief from the problem of Fistula-in-Ano but also assists in getting rid of other associated problems.
- Maintenance of Diet as Part of Ayurvedic Management: Those patients, who suffer from the painful disease of Fistula-in- Ano, Ayurveda instructs them to maintain a healthy diet in the form of fruits and vegetables. On the contrary, they must avoid the excess amount of spicy foods, along with items that cause constipation and even make sure to not have too much of garlic, chillies and potato.
- Keep Yourself Hydrated: Drinking plenty of water is extremely essential as this helps to clear off the channels and also allow people to flush off stools and toxins from the body.
If you're suffering from weak memory or memory loss, Ayurveda might be able to solve your problems. Ayurveda uses natural remedies to cure many diseases, and even though forgetting where you put your glasses or cell phones may not sound discrete enough, it may be early signs of dementia.
Before it escalates to that level, here are foods that you may try to curb it as the first signs appear :
* Almonds are one of the most effective food items to increase your brain power and cure amnesia. They are a rich source of Omega 3 fatty acids and antioxidants that hike up your mental prowess. They are best to have early in the morning, ground and mixed with milk and sugar (or a healthier supplement being honey), or otherwise, after being soaked overnight in water.
* Ayurvedic herbs, like rosemary, brahmi, ashwagandha, shankha pushpin, licorice plant, etc, are all known to have medicinal properties that improve your brain power. Regulated incorporation of these herbs in your diet in requisite amount relaxes your mind, and thereby improves its functioning capacity.
* Indian Gooseberry or amla, is rich in Vitamin C, as well as anti oxidants, which helps boost immunity, but other than that, amla is also known to have properties to strengthen your nervous system. It is one of the best remedies for managing Alzheimer's disease. It can be consumed raw or dried, and at times along with white sesame seeds.
* Fish oil is an excellent way to enhance your memory, especially if you are a non-vegetarian. It contains rich quantities of Omega 3 fatty acids, which help rejuvenate your brain cells. But if you are a vegetarian or vegan, fish oil or even fishes like salmon, might not be the best suited to your dietary preference, in which case it may be more helpful to consume Omega 3 supplements which are readily available in the market, or even fenugreek seeds.
* Cinnamon helps in revitalizing your mental health, when consumed, or even when smelled. Add a pinch of cinnamon to your food, or mix a teaspoon with honey, and it will work wonders for your mental health.
* Nigella seeds, black seeds or kalonji is another way to boost your memory. They are rich in anti oxidants, and alongside also have anti-inflammatory and provide natural protection to neurons. Adding them to your meals can not only improve their taste but also enhance its remedial powers.
All the surgical operations performed on any of the endocrine glands come under the roof of endocrine surgery. Endocrine glands function as hormone secretor and have a major impact on the normal functioning of all the cells of body. Endocrine surgeons expertise in treating and operating either thyroid glands or parathyroid glands or adrenal glands or endocrine pancreas or neuro-endocrine glands. Duties of Endocrine surgeons range from initial diagnosis to examination of endocrine disorders. They further collaborate with pathologists, geneticists, radiologists, anesthetists and contribute in higher researches related to endocrine glands.
- A lump which can be a malignant tumor in disguise. A fine needle biopsy of the lump is performed to detect the chances of tumor.
- A goitre which may be indicated by hindrance in breathing, persistent coughand difficulty in wallowing. This may cause load on adjacent organs.
- A retrosternal goiter.
Following operations are performed during thyroid surgery
- Bilateral subtotal thyroidectomy: For eleminating major part of thyroid except both part of lobes.
- Hemithyroidectomy: For eleminating half of thyroid
- Total thyroidectomy: For exclusion of entire thyroid
- Removal of thyroid nodule: Cutting out a lump from the thyroid
The procedure for thyroid surgery
The patient undertaking thyroid surgery is given either general anesthesia or local anesthesia. The surgery starts with making an incision, in front of the neck. This cut is made at about 2 - 3cm above collarbone. Then the muscles are divided so that the thyroid can be cut out. This entire operation is to be carried out with utmost care and attention so that parathyroid glands and voice box are unharmed.
Complexities involved in thyroid surgery
- While undergoing a thyroid surgery, chances of experiencing chest infection, infection due to anesthetics,heart problems, blood clotting, cut infections still persist.
- If bleeding continues post the surgery, it may result in swollen throat. Normal breathing may also be hampered. If during the operation, the voice box is damaged, it may result in hoarseness of the voice.
- Damage to the parathyroid glands may cause decrement in level of calcium in blood.
- If the scar tissue grows abnormally, it may result in surgical scar.
Remedies for the above complications
- Effects due to the damage to the voice box can be diminished by utilizing speech therapy. An additional surgery of the vocal cords can also be an option.
- One can overcome the drop in the level of calcium by taking calcium and vitamin D tablets.
- Surgical scars can be treated with the aid of steroid injections or silicone gel tape.