Lybrate.com has a nexus of the most experienced Gynaecologists in India. You will find Gynaecologists with more than 30 years of experience on Lybrate.com. Find the best Gynaecologists online in Navi Mumbai. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Madhushree Venkat
Management of Abortion
Caesarean Section Procedure
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Termination Of Pregnancy Procedure
Treatment Of Pregnancy Problems
Well Woman Healthcheck
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Treatment Of Medical Diseases In Pregnancy
Treatment Of Menstrual Problems
Intra-Uterine Insemination (IUI) Treatment
Medical Termination Of Pregnancy (Mtp) Procedure
Gynecology Laparoscopy Procedures
Pap Smear Procedure
Submit a review for Dr. Madhushree VenkatYour feedback matters!
Penis Problems Due to Antidepressants
Advances in the mental health field have benefited countless people in recent years. The rise of antidepressants in particular has enabled many whose quality of life would otherwise have been severely impaired to experience happier, less anxious lives. Of course, as with all mediations, antidepressants do come with potential side effects which may bother some people - and surprisingly, sometimes these side effects can potentially have an impact on penis health. So for men taking antidepressants, it's valuable to know about penis problems that could possibly result.
How antidepressants work?
People often say that antidepressants "cure" depression, but that's not exactly true. What they do is work on certain brain circuits and neurotransmitters in such a way that chemicals are released that seem to ease depression.
There are a variety of antidepressants, but the ones that this article is concerned with belong to a class called reuptake inhibitors, and specifically to a subclass of these known as SSRIs (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors). The way SSRIs work is by keeping neurotransmitters "active" for a longer period of time, thus improving communication between the nerve cells. This helps the brain regulate a person's mood (including feelings of depression).
Potential penis problems of SSRIs
There are potential penis problems associated with the use of some antidepressants, especially SSRIs. Exactly how prevalent are these problems? That's hard to determine, although one study estimates that 60% of people (men and women) who take SSRIs experience sexual side effects. However, which of these side effects they experience, how often, and to what degree are harder to determine. It's also difficult to know whether the sexual issues may have been in existence before the subjects began taking the medication. (Depression itself is often a factor in the development of sexual issues.) However, it is safe to say that some men who take SSRIs will develop some form of penis problems at some time.
For men, there are three potential penis problems to know about:
- Decreased libido;
- Erectile impairment;
- Delayed or blocked ejaculation.
Why might SSRIs contribute to potential penis problems? The way they work is by raising the levels of the neurotransmitter serotonin in the body. But serotonin tends to decrease the amount of two other neurotransmitters, dopamine and norepinephrine, which are important contributors to feelings of desire and arousal. In addition, serotonin tends to dampen the physical sensitivity of the penis and the production of nitric oxide, which is crucial to keeping penile blood vessels open to receive the increased amounts of blood that create a firm erection.
Fortunately, penis problems from antidepressants are not permanent. If a physician believes an SSRI is causing issues, he can see if changing the dose can help. Alternatively, he may try a different antidepressant that may not have the same side effects. (Changing medication or dosage should only be done under the care of a physician.) If the problems seem to be related to something other than medication, the physician can recommend further treatments to address the root causes.
Balancing the need for antidepressants with any penis problems that may result can be a matter of trial and error. It can be made easier if the penis is already in its best health state, so it behooves a man to apply a top notch penis health crème (health professionals recommend Man 1 Man Oil, which is clinically proven mild and safe for skin). For best results,, check the ingredients list for both L-arginine and L-carnitine, two important amino acids. L-arginine helps the body boost production of nitric oxide, which helps the penis accept more blood when an erection is desired. L-carnitine, meantime, helps protect against loss of sensation and allows better retention of appropriate penile sensitivity.
My wife age is 30. We have a 4 years female baby. Now try to get second baby. We consulted doctor. He gave ovagold for 30 days. Now she affected cold and cough? We consulted general doctor and he gave cosome expectorant syrup. My question is some expectorant will affect conceive?
I and my gf had sex on 31st dec, the day after her periods got over, But the condom broke. I gave her a unwanted 72 tab after 12 hours of the intercourse. Till now she is without any period. Is there anything to worry about. And what about the period after pill? Is it possible that the sperm may be available near her fallopian still and what should I do now and later. She is 22 year and 3 months. She is use to have heavy flow during her periods. Please help me ASAP. Thank you.
Health benefits of kidney beans
1. Kidney beans are a phenomenal source of protein.
One cup of kidney beans contains 16 grams of protein, making it an excellent protein source for vegetarians. Kidney beans contain all the essential amino acids that are needed for proper muscle-building.
2. Kidney beans will improve your digestive system’s health.
Kidney beans are an excellent source of fiber. A one-cup serving of kidney beans contains 16 grams of dietary fiber. The daily recommended dietary fiber intake for men and women are 38 grams and 25 grams, respectively. Fiber may help prevent constipation, making one’s bowel movement easier to control.
3. Kidney beans can help maintain a healthy blood pressure.
Kidney beans have a very high content of potassium and a low content of sodium. One cup of kidney beans contains a whopping 742 milligrams of potassium, compared to 7.1 milligrams of sodium. Folate can also contribute to the reduction of hypertension and relaxation of blood vessels while maintaining proper blood flow.
4. Kidney beans are helpful for pregnant women and their babies.
Kidney beans are a good source of b-vitamins, such as folate or folic acid. One cup of kidney beans contains 33 percent of the recommended daily value of folate. Folate has shown to help in neural tube formation and red blood cell formation in prenatal babies. A deficiency of folic acid in pregnant women can lead to the birth of underweight infants and may also result in neural tube defects in newborns.
5. Kidney beans can help you detoxify.
Sulfites are acidic compounds found in wines, dried fruits, and some vegetables, which can cause side effects, such as headaches and disorientation. Studies have shown that kidney beans are extremely high in molybdenum, a rare mineral not frequently found in foods. This mineral counteracts these side effects.
6. Kidney beans can also improve your nervous system.
Molybdenum also helps in cell energy production and development of the nervous system. Kidney beans also provide the brain the necessary amino acids, vitamins, and minerals. Some vitamins, including folate or folic acid, play a significant role in the regulation of specific amino acids that the nervous system requires. Studies have shown that a deficient amount of dietary folate can increase the homocysteine levels, which can be a dangerous precursor to neurodegenerative diseases like alzheimer’s disease and parkinson’s disease.
7. Kidney beans can help with blood formation.
Copper and iron are essential for the new blood cell formation. One cup of kidney beans contains 26 percent and 29 percent of the daily recommended value of iron and copper, respectively. A deficiency of iron can lead to anemia.
A healthy libido is as important as any other function within your body. However, as much as it is a physical function, a lot of it has to do with the most important sexual organ, the brain. If you or your partner is both physically and emotionally not in the right place, your sex drive suffers. This can create physical and emotional problems in your life. Some of the tips to help increase your sex drive are mentioned as follows.
- Getting the right amount of sleep: One of the major causes of low sex drive among men and women is the lack of sleep. Between household chores as well as office work and family commitments, the first thing that gets compromised on is sleep. Low sleep results in the drop in testosterone in both men and women thus, drastically lowering sex drive. This is the hormone primarily responsible for sex drive in both men and women. Ensure that you get at least 8 hours of sleep daily to maintain a healthy sex drive.
- Think and talk sex: Mostly women and men to some extent as well tend to put talking about sex in the no go zone. This along with the mundane discussions about household life tends to lower libido as well. Ensure that you put in some sex talk to keep the spark alive as this would keep your libido levels and the physical attraction levels high.
- Overweight and obesity is toxic for your sex drive: Excess fat and being overweight is a big libido killer in both men and women. Obesity and high body fat percentage inhibits testosterone production, thus, denting your sex drive. It is very important that you try to lose a few pounds and set goals to become fit as this will work wonders for your libido.
- Meditate and relax: When you are stressed, cortisol levels in your blood are increased as the adrenaline glands go into overdrive. This is one of the most common and major sex drive killers. It is thus, very important that you practice mediation and other relaxation techniques to ensure that stress levels are down which will help in boosting libido.
- A healthy diet: This is possibly one of the most important components in your life which determines how the physical side of libido is managed. Certain foods may kill your libido such as cheese and other dairy products, fried fatty foods, carbonated sodas among others. Some of the foods that are good for your libido would be ginger, watermelon, lettuce, and eggs.
If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a doctor and ask a free question.