Lybrate.com has a nexus of the most experienced General Surgeons in India. You will find General Surgeons with more than 44 years of experience on Lybrate.com. Find the best General Surgeons online in Navi Mumbai. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Gauri Koundinya
Kidney Stones Treatment
Removal Of Stitches Procedure
Corn Removal Procedure
Dressings Of Wounds Procedure
Varicose Vein Laser Treatment
Hernia Repair Surgery
Urinary Incontinence (Ui) Treatment
Stitching Of Wounds Procedure
Treatment Of Deep Vein Thrombosis - Dvt
Male Breast Reduction Treatment
Prostate Laser Surgery
Gastric Bypass Surgery
Treatment of Bone Marrow Transplantation
Vascular Surgery Treatment
Submit a review for Dr. Gauri KoundinyaYour feedback matters!
Skin near my thumb has become very hard and dry and keeps on tearing even after apply oil regularly. Only thumb area below nails before dry rest all the fingers are fine, what's this please guide.
Dear doctor, my father having prostate problem due to age. He is 63 years old. He is not ready for operation. So I want to know any medicine which can control it?
Are you experiencing frequent and extended heartburn on a regular basis? This might indicate that you are having gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD). It is a type of digestive disorder that affects your lower esophageal sphincters. The condition involves the return of the stomach’s content back to your esophagus. Although heartburns are common, GERD involves chronic heartburns, which require an adequate treatment.
Here the some important reasons why you should not ignore the symptoms of GERD:
- Esophagitis: In case of GERD, the food, acid and digestive juices flow back from the stomach to the esophagus. This leads to irritation and swelling with time, which is called esophagitis. In case you have acid exposure in your esophagus for a few weeks, inflammation of the lining is indicated. This can be very painful and uncomfortable, making the esophagus more prone to scarring and further erosion.
- Esophageal stricture: If esophagitis continues for a long time, scar tissues can lead to the narrowing of the esophagus. This is known as a stricture, which makes swallowing very difficult and painful. Large chunks of food may get stuck and you are more likely to choke while eating or drinking. You may tend to avoid food and water because of esophageal stricture, which may result in weight loss.
- Throat and voice problems: Apart from heartburn, several other symptoms may also appear because of GERD. These are called cases of silent reflux where you may not experience heartburn. Instead, other issues are indicated which include voice hoarseness, voice changes, sore throat and chronic coughing.
- Breathing problems: If stomach acid is inhaled after regurgitation, the symptoms of asthma and pneumonia may worsen because of GERD. Shortness of breath and breathing difficulties are likely, even without any lung problem.
- Tooth decay: When the stomach acids and digestive juices go back to the esophagus and into the mouth, it leaves a sour taste. In case it occurs frequently, it wears away your tooth enamel and results in tooth decay. People experiencing acid reflux induced erosion may be unaware of the damage being caused until it reaches peak stages.
- Esophageal ulcers: Stomach acid may result in the wearing away of the esophageal lining, resulting in ulcers and sores. These esophageal ulcers are different from stomach ulcers, which occur from bacteria. Patients with esophageal ulcers may vomit blood, and notice blood in stool. It is usually darker than its usual shade and may have the texture of coffee ground like particles.
It is important for you to visit a doctor immediately after experiencing the symptoms of GERD. This condition may cause severe distress if you let it advance, and hence, early diagnosis and treatment are very important. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a General Physician.
The hands get exposed to the various irritating situation and substances each day. This peeled skin causes rough or scraggly cuticles which can lead to various infections if any bacteria enter through this cracked skin. Hence, it is equally important to take care of this skin area.
What Can Be The Cause Of It?
The most common causes which can lead to skin peeling are as follows:
- Allergic Reactions: Exposure to various skin irritants, such as nail polish, soapy water, nickel, latex, solvents, and detergents are the major causes of the skin peeling in women.
- Nail biting: Nail biting can make skin cuticles, and nails ill. These damaged cuticles can result in a skin infection. It is one of the causes of peeling skin in children and nervous adults.
- Finger or thumb sucking: A persistent habit of a finger or thumb sucking causes dry skin and leads to peeling. Hence, it is also commonly seen in an infant or toddler.
- Nutritional deficiency: Vitamin or calcium deficiency is also the cause of peeling skin around nails. The deficiency of these minerals only causes dryness of skin and makes it prone to flake and peel off. The deficiency of vitamin B-3 (niacin) results in pellagra where dry skin or dermatitis is associated with the development of diarrhea and dementia.
- Due to various skin diseases: Various skin diseases also cause skin peeling around the nails. Psoriasis, eczema, and dyshidrosis are the most common cause of it. Eczema is an inflammation of the skin which results in dry, and itchy skin which ultimately leads to skin peeling whereas psoriasis targets the life cycle of the skin cells, and causes a rapid buildup of cells on the surface of their skin, leading to the formation of patches, and scales. Dyshidrosis is a rare skin problem in which fluid-filled blisters are formed on sides of the fingers which can also lead to skin peeling around nails.
- Chronic infection: Chronic infection, such as bacterial or fungal infection (caused by moisture) can also lead to the peeling of skin around the cuticle.
- Excessive hand washing: Washing hands with soap frequently can hamper the lipid barrier of skin which can cause the soap to absorb into sensitive layers of skin, leading to irritation, and peeling.
- Using products with harsh chemicals: Certain chemicals added to soaps, shampoos, and other beauty products may cause skin irritation and peel off the skin around the fingertips. Finger skin peeling due to all these reasons is more commonly seen in beauticians, maids etc.
- Weather changes: Dry climate or winter season can often lead to dry, cracked, and peeling skin.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!