Submit a review for Niramaya HospitalYour feedback matters!
How can I cure seasonal allergy? Symptoms are head each. Nose blocking. Eye irritation. Body pain. Fever. please give me suggestions how to get rid from this situations?
Food is a very important part of your life as it provides all the necessary nutrients required by your body and is essentially, the fuel for all things to function within. However, many people may have aversion to certain kinds of food as it causes adverse reactions within their body. Let’s look at some of the common food allergies that people commonly report and how to identify them.
Allergies v/s Intolerances: It is important to note here that there is a significant difference between food sensitivities or intolerances and allergies. Sensitivities or intolerances cause adverse effects on your body inevitably when you consume certain types of foods. One such example is diarrhea, caused by ingesting cheese or milk by lactose intolerant people. However, allergies are caused when the immune system within your body mistakes harmless food as something that might harm you and thus tries to protect you from its effects. This results in reactions within your body which may be very painful and problematic.
Common foods that trigger allergies
Some of the common foods that trigger allergies are:
3. Other forms of tree nuts such as almonds, walnuts etc.
4. Gluten rich grains such as wheat, rye barley, oats
5. Certain types of fish
7. Soy products
8. Milk (allergic reactions mostly occur within children)
Some other foods which have been known to cause allergies in rare cases are:
1. Meats such as pork, chicken, beef, mutton
2. Corn and corn products
4. Certain spices such as mustard, garlic and coriander among others
5. Certain seeds such as poppy, sunflower, or sesame
Symptoms of allergies
In certain cases, the allergies might manifest immediately, almost in a matter of minutes, within the body. However, in many cases, it may take a few hours for it to show up. The symptoms may range from mild to quite severe. Mild symptoms will make it quite hard to actually diagnose it as a food allergy.
Some of the milder symptoms could be:
1. Hives or eczema could form on your skin which may be very itchy. These would look like raised swollen areas that could be red, inflamed, and dry.
2. The inside of your mouth and ears may become itchy
3. You could suddenly develop a runny or a blocked nose and start sneezing or coughing.
4. Your eyes may become watery, red and itchy
5. You may develop a funny taste in your mouth
6. Others symptoms may include throwing up and even loose motions
Other severe forms of allergies can be caused mostly by shellfish and peanuts and other forms of nuts and fish. Symptoms in such cases would look like:
1. Uneven heartbeat
2. Difficulty in swallowing and breathing
3. Feeling of extreme weakness, confusion
4. Passing out or feeling light headed
5. The tongue, throat or lips may swell up
6. Chest pain
The human body is a marvellous creation and functions in a highly synchronised and balanced way. Disease results when this balance is disturbed either due to infections, inflammations, trauma, autoimmune diseases, tumours. Whatever the reason, with any of these, the body has a strong immune system, which reacts to these changes and tries to ensure that balance is restored as quickly as possible and with minimal effect on overall bodily function.
While most of us have a natural tendency to do so, some have it weaker. This makes them more prone to infections and they take more time to repair and restore health. However, there are a number of supplements which can help to strengthen the immunity. These can be used with the consultation of a professional, and this can help improve overall health.
Homeopathy obviously fits into the class of therapeutic methods that augment the body's own defenses. A microdose of a substance heals the symptoms in large dose. Homeopathic medicines are both considerably smaller and safer in dose and more individualized to the person they are being used to treat.
Although homeopathic medicines are thought to stimulate the body's own defenses, how they do so remains a mystery. Homeopathic medicine do not simply stimulate the body's immune system to treat ill people, for they can also calm it when this is necessary for the healing of the individual.
People with auto-immune ailments suffer because their body's immune system is over-active and it attacks the person's own cells, not just bacteria, viruses, or foreign substances. Homeopathy believes that “like cures like.” So in treating a disease, what it does is use small amounts of the substance that is known to induce the disease. This way, similar symptoms are induced and the disease is treated. Some of the most common homeopathic medicines are-
Allium Cepa: With winter setting in, more and more people are prone to developing a runny nose, nasal congestion, and teary eyes. So, with winter still around the corner, using allium cepa (small onion) helps build immunity by easing these symptoms. Keeping 3 to 5 pellets of this compound under the tongue can help control nasal congestion.
Oscillococcinum: Popularly known as Oscillo, this contains very small amounts of duck liver and heart. When used on the first couple of days with the onset of flu-like symptoms, this helps the body aches and fatigue disappear. It is proven to be safe, effective, and helps prevent further attacks of similar symptoms.
Gelsemium: Obtained from the vine Gelsemium sempervirens, this is useful to build immunity towards cold and flu symptoms. Keeping it under the tongue also helps relieve symptoms if they are already present and controls further attacks of flu-like symptoms.
Silica: This is responsible for stimulating the production of macrophages. These are a type of cells, which are essential for eating up bacteria and foreign bodies. It, therefore, helps improve immunity and fight infections.
Arsenicum Album (white arsenic): This is used in a variety of conditions ranging from anxiety to poisoning to digestive disorders.
While some people refer to most homeopathic medicines as immune stimulating, they are in fact immunomodulatory. Whether a person has an autoimmune disease or repeated infections, homeopathy can be used. A detailed discussion with a specialized homeopath would be the first step to identify what is the right compound to use.
I have dust allergy. And suffering with cold 365 days. When I'm suffering with dust allergy, my eyes are burning and itching and nose are closed with full cold. It happening me since 2003.
I had taken IGE test since I had asthma. The levels were 850UI. It was high (normally upto 200UI). What are the natural remedies to decrease it?
Asthma is an inflammatory disease, which affects the airways of your lungs (respiratory tract that pumps oxygen into the lungs). It is long term in nature. It is characterized by shortness of breath, coughing and wheezing. It occurs few times a day or few times a week depending on the person it affects. Sometimes it worsens during the night.
What triggers Asthma?
- Airborne particles such as dust mites, mold spores, pollen and cockroach waste.
- Infections in the respiratory system such as common cold.
- Cold air can also trigger asthma.
- Physical or outdoor activities which make you pant such as running, skipping, jogging and jumping can cause shortness of breath, thus triggering asthma.
- Pollutants and irritants in air such as smoke.
- Some medications can also trigger asthma.
- Stress and nervous attacks (panic attacks) also trigger asthma.
How to manage asthma better by changing your lifestyle:
- Try to avoid keeping animals in your house such as dogs, cats and rabbits. Many times animal fur, waste, urine and saliva contains particles which can cause allergic reactions and make you cough uncontrollably. This in turn triggers asthma attacks. If you have pets try keeping them away from your bedroom.
- Dust mites also cause allergies which trigger asthma. So wash your carpets, rugs, bed-linen and pillowcases in hot water.
- Bugs and insects such as cockroaches are not only unhygienic, but can also trigger asthma. Cockroach droppings near your bed, kitchen and food are dangerous and you should call an exterminator to get rid of these bugs.
- Sometimes, heavy fragrance also aggravates your respiratory tract and triggers shortness of breath. Avoid using heavy perfumes, deodorants and room fresheners.
- Pollution also triggers asthma. Dust particles come out from the vehicles and mix with the air. If this air is inhaled, it might trigger uncontrollable asthma. So try to cover your mouth with a cloth when you step out of your house.
Asthma can be very severe and can bring many hurdles in your day to day activities. Changing your lifestyle and certain habits can reduce asthma to a great extent. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a pulmonologist.
A hypersensitive reaction to immune system against any particular substance (allergen) is called as allergy. Dust mite allergy refers to hypersensitive reaction caused by exposure to tiny bugs (too small to see with naked eyes) in the dust in our house and premises. These dust mites survive in warm and humid conditions (as in bedding items and furniture in the home) and eat dead skin cells of humans and animals.
Usually, individual mite has ability to produce more than 20 of waste droppings (specific protein) every day that spreads in the environments and settles down with the dust while their ability to cause allergic symptoms remain constant even after they die. The ideal environment for dust mites is when there is a temperature about ≥ 70 F and humidity ranging between 75 to 80 percent.
Along with the live mites, dust also contains faeces, excretions and decayed bodies of dust mites. A specific protein in the mites is responsible for allergic reaction causing nasal inflammation, which triggers further symptoms.
The immune system produces specific antibodies as a defense against foreign substances (allergens) to protect the body from harmful allergens. In case of allergic reactions, as usual, the body produces antibodies against allergens (even if they are not harmful) and leads to an inflammatory response.
Most allergies have some common signs and symptoms. Allergy to dust mites harms nasal passage making it inflamed, causing several clinical manifestations. Common symptoms of dust mite allergy may include:
- Rhinorrhea (persistent discharge of mucus from nose)
- Itching sensation in the eyes, nose and throat
- Reddening of eyes
- Swelling around the eyes
- Accumulation of excess mucus in the throat (postnasal drip)
- Cough and congestion
- Facial pain and pressure
- Rubbing nose (especially in children)
In chronic cases, one may experience a severe asthma attack that causes:
- Shortness of breath
- Chest pain
- Tightness in the chest
- Abnormal sound while breathing
- Severe coughing and wheezing
- Lack of sleep
Diagnosis of dust mite allergy may begin with discussing with your doctor about the typical symptoms, severity, onset of symptoms and its duration, pets at home, etc. This will help the doctor to further advice other tests, such as allergy tests (to identify the specific allergen) and some blood examinations, examining the body for allergy and assessment of family history..
Immunotherapy (allergy shots or allergy drops under the tongue/ Sublingual immunotherapy (SLIT): When other treatment approaches fail to deliver the results, immunotherapy may be considered. It involves a series of allergen shots with gradually increasing doses (about two shots a week for about 3 months) and then a single shot for every four weeks, for about five years. This helps to build up immunity against specific allergens.
Benefits of SLIT:
- Effective in children in terms of treating the symptoms of rhinitis, asthma, and further worsening of symptoms.
- Effective in preventing future asthma
- Safe and easy to administer
- Can be administered at home
- No need of syringes and needle
I am a 17 years old boy and I have no personality. I have no pack abs and nothing more. I am so weak that I cannot do push ups. Whenever I tries to start pushup I feel pain in my shoulders. I am doing sit ups and scouts daily about 25 and do yoga but it does not work. How can I improve my immune power and personality please suggest me.
Hello doctor, The dog bitten on my leg 30 days ago, I have taken total 5 shot of ARV. After 4th shot I have eaten some non-veg food. So my question is there is anything problem by eating non-veg food? Please help me out.
If you are experiencing difficulty in breathing or rapid breathing, shortness of breath and low blood pressure, you might have been affected with acute respiratory distress syndrome or ARDS. This is a fatal lung condition in which the supply of oxygen to the lungs and into the blood gets prevented. The symptoms of this syndrome develop within two days of the illness. Here are 10 important facts about ARDS you should know about:
Because of the low level of oxygen in the blood, the organs of the body may not function properly. The kidneys and brain require constant oxygen-rich blood supply and there are chances of organ failure due to ARDS.
Commonly, people who get ARDS are already in hospital for some other health problem. People who are not hospitalised may get ARDS because of conditions such as pneumonia.
In ARDS, the tiny blood vessels of the lungs leak more fluid than usual into the air sacs of the lungs. This happens because of infections, injuries or some other condition. The lungs cannot get filled up with air and sufficient oxygen is prevented from getting pumped into the bloodstream.
Several factors also lead to ARDS. These include sepsis, severe bleeding due to any injury on the head or chest, breathing in harmful smoke, or inhaling vomited content of the stomach from the mouth.
People who are prone to ARDS have some condition that may injure their lungs directly or indirectly.
The initial symptoms of ARDS include a feeling of not getting sufficient air in the lungs, low oxygen levels in the blood and rapid breathing. The diagnosis of ARDS depends on your medical history and the results from several tests and physical examinations.
The treatment of ARDS is undertaken by oxygen therapy, medicines and fluids. A patient with ARDS is likely to develop some other health condition while in the hospital, such as lung scarring, blood clots, infections and pneumothorax.
Many people recover from ARDS completely while others keep on facing certain health problems, such as shortness of breath, muscle weakness, depression and fatigue. Problems related to memory and clear thinking are also indicated.
By improving your quality of life, you can recover from ARDS. You need the support and encouragement of your family and friends. You must avoid smoking and keep away from any kind of lung irritant.
- The treatment for ARDS has showed progress in the recent years. Hence, more people are recovering from this condition. New treatment procedures are being researched on. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a pulmonologist.
स्वस्थस्य स्वास्थय रक्षणं - Vision Health First
Our ancient Ayurveda Science and Sages have been always given 1st preference to maintenance of health. In present era WHO (World Health Organization) and the world has accepted the vision of Ayurveda “स्वस्थस्य स्वास्थय रक्षणं”-i. e. who are healthy should maintain their health, secondary who are sick treat them. In Ayurveda Science different varieties of Food (Annapan-अन्नपान), Medicines (Aushadha-औषध) and Procedures (Prakriya-प्रक्रिया) are mentioned to maintain healthy status of life and for long life span.
Oja(ओज)-Bal(बल)-Immunity and Ayurveda
Thousands of years ago the Ayurveda Science gave deep knowledge of Rog Pratikar Shakti (Immunity) and explained it in detail. During elaborating Ojas(ओजस) महर्षि चरक has explained 3 different types of Rog Pratikar Shakti
Immunity Power which are as per below.
- Vyadhikshamatwa(व्याधिक्षमत्व) - शारीरिक सहनशीलता
- Vyadhipratibandhakatvak (व्याधीप्रतीबन्धकत्वक) - शारीरिक रोगप्रतिकारक शक्ति
- Vyadhibal virodhitva(व्याधिबल विरोधित्व) - विशेष प्रकारकी परिस्थिति के सामने विशेष बल जिससे रोग के सामने लडा जासके
Child Immunization and Ayurveda
In the present era, we are providing different-different vaccines for different diseases, but Ayurveda Science deals with the complete immune system development through single औषधी योग (Vaccine) which can help your child to fight against all diseases as well promotes growth rate too. That procedure is known as Shuvarnprashan – Jaatkarma Sanskar (सुवर्ण प्राशन – जातकर्म संस्कार)
Jatakarma Samskara (newborn care) is told as a purification procedure, in which soon after cutting the umbilical cord the baby is made to lick the mixture of gold, honey, and ghee by chanting Mantra (spiritual hymns)
In Jatakarma Samskara
Acharya Sushruta cites the administration of Swarna along with honey and ghee in one among the procedures of Jatakarma Samskara that is, as a single dose at the time of birth in the procedure of new born care. He provided the rationale behind this practice that there will be no adequate secretion of breast milk for the first 4 days after delivery and so as to support the baby with respect to preventive and nutritive aspect, such practices are indispensable. Acharya Vagbhata advises to give a combination of herbal drugs in a specific shaped spoon as that of the leaf of holy banyan tree, made up of gold to the newborn for increasing Medha (intellect). Administration of Swarna along with other herbs is also mentioned by Acharya Vagbhata in Jatakarma Samskara.
Benefits of Shuvarnprashan
- No neurological side effects
- Increases immunity
- Increases intelligence
- Prevents common recurrent infections, asthma and other allergic conditions
- Improves memory, attention span, concentration & learning ability
- Reduces temper tantrums, attention deficits, bed-wetting & other neuro-psychosomatic problems.
- Improves speech, hearing & visual acuity
- Helps to maintain health in children
- Improves your metabolic and digestive capabilities (अग्नि वर्धक)
- It improves your physical strength (बल वर्धक)
- It helps in eliminating harmful planetary effects (ग्रहापहं)
If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult an ayurveda.
I am 19 years old male, I do not have asthma but sometimes I experience severe pain in my chest and shortness of breath. This does not happen on a regular basis, but every alternate day.
I had been bit by stray dog (maybe mad dog) a year ago I took the 3 starting vaccines (injections) .but was not able to get the last one. Can this be any health danger to me .Pls.
Every year, the emergency rooms at hospitals get flooded by cases of allergic reactions from food. According to a census, about 15 million Indians suffer from some kind of food allergy. The symptoms of food allergy may vary from itchy mouth to potentially fatal conditions like anaphylactic shock. Other symptoms of an allergic reaction can present themselves as difficulty in breathing, swelling of the tongue, rashes and intestinal discomfort.
According to specialists, allergies to food can develop at any age, at any time. Hence, if you suspect a sudden allergic reaction to a food that you have consumed before without any problem, it is advised to consult a doctor.
Here is a list of the most common food allergies that people suffer from frequently-
- MILK: Milk is the most common food that children and infants are allergic to. Milk allergy must not be confused with lactose intolerance wherein a person faces many difficulties in digesting the sugar present in milk. The two conditions are not related. Milk allergy is the hypersensitivity reaction that happens in response to certain proteins present in milk and can be potentially deadly. Most children are seen to outgrow their allergy to milk.
- WHEAT: It is a common misconception to confuse Celiac’s disease with a wheat allergy. Wheat allergy exclusively occurs due to the hypersensitivity to the protein present in wheat alone. In Celiac’s disease, it is the gluten in the food they are hypersensitive to, which is also present in rye, barley and oats.
- SOY: Soy is a very common allergic food and most children seem to outgrow it by the age of 10. Most of the time, soy allergy is not too severe and the symptoms presented are mostly mild. Although, cases of anaphylaxis in reaction to soy have been reported. Soy and soy protein are very common ingredients found in food, hence it is advised to check the ingredients present before consuming it.
- SHELLFISH: This allergy usually does not go away and you are most likely to deal with all your life. Most people who experience allergies from shellfish are most likely to be hypersensitive to both crustaceans (lobsters, shrimps and crabs) and mollusks (mussels, oysters, scallops and clams). This type of allergy can become very intense and you must even avoid the steam produced from cooking shellfish. For some people, the mere contact with shellfish can trigger an allergic reaction
As obesity is becoming a big menace in daily affair to the individual's life and in their regular affairs and in the health system. Exercise and health go hand in hand, obesity is characterised as a state of low grade chronic inflammation. Excessive caloric intake compromises the immune system's ability to fight infection. High fat diets tend to depress the immune function.
Obese people are more prone to developing infections and antibiotics and vaccines do not act as well on them. To cope with this best solution through to maintain a healthy lifestyle, cycling for half an hour, a zumba class four to five times a week and a 20 minute walk are a few options that can go a long way keep immunity strong and in check.