Submit a review for Malan ClinicYour feedback matters!
Researchers believe that not much can be done for providing you relief to a great extent, in case you are suffering from rheumatoid arthritis. But, they also say that a lot can be controlled by changing your diet. There are certain foods, which are known to add on to the problem of arthritis. These foods increase the pain of arthritis. However, there are also certain foods, which are known to cause relief to the patients by reducing the pain and getting rid of the factors causing it.
It has been a common practice that people suffering from rheumatoid arthritis (RA) are constantly trying to ease its symptoms with food and by taking dietary supplements. There are several studies that indicate a connection between certain types of foods and the inflammation. This inflammation characterises the autoimmune condition. But, it is always advisable that you must consult your doctor before embarking on a new diet chart or taking supplements. Therefore, the best approach towards curing this disease with the help of foods is to take a well-balanced diet.
Foods that can help fight Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Omega-3 fatty acids: It is important that your diet includes cold-water fish as herring, mackerel, trout, salmon and tuna. These fish have omega-3 fatty acids. This is known to have anti-inflammatory effect on the patient. Fish oil can provide relief in joint pain and help in easing morning stiffness. You may also consult your doctor to know whether you can or should take fish oil supplements. The doctor will prescribe you the dosages, depending upon your joint pain. But you should also remember, higher doses of the supplements can have negative effect. They tend to react with other drugs and increase blood pressure.
- Fibres, Whole grain: You must increase the amount of fibre in your diet. So, don’t forget to eat a lot of fresh fruits and vegetables and whole grains. This will help in reducing the inflammation. Fibre is known to lower the levels of C-reactive protein in the patient’s blood stream. It is an indicator for inflammation in the body.
- Extra virgin olive oil: This will reduce inflammation. It works in the similar fashion as non steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs such as ibuprofen works. Researchers believe that virgin olive oil contains a compound called oleocanthal. This compound blocks the enzymes that is known to cause inflammation.
- Vitamin D: You must have foods rich in vitamin D that is usually linked to calcium and provides protection against osteoporosis. Talk to your doctor, if you are needed to have vitamin D supplements.
Foods That Can Cause Inflammation
There are certain foods that can increase the inflammation and the pain. The inflammation is increased by meats, protein-rich foods, like pulses, etc. Also, omega-6 fatty acids containing foods such s corn, soyabean, etc. can make things worse.
You might be an elite athlete or just a commoner. There is always a possibility for you to develop back pain while carrying out your daily activities. You might not be aware, but regular activities such as sitting at the computer, running on the treadmill or simply crawling into your bed for a good night sleep can affect the health of your spine. You are always at the risk of damaging your spine, these damages lead to back pain. It has been found that faulty postures can cause back pain by causing straining of the back muscles, injuring the tendons and damaging the vertebrae or ligaments. Back pain can be caused due to the overuse of a particular activity or for undertaking a new activity.
However, it is often very difficult to pin point the exact reason behind the occurrence of back pain. Here are the common causes for back pain:
- The screen trouble: You are likely to develop back pain, if you spend long hours sitting in front of the commuter. Researchers believe that spending nine hours or more a day by texting on smart phones or tablets or typing on the computer is dangerous. You must take break at regular intervals while working on the gadgets to avoid back pain. Your monitor of the computer should be placed at the level of your eye.
- You skip the core exercises: The health of your spine depends on the core regions of your body as well. The core region includes your back, side, pelvic, and buttock muscles. It is important that you practise the core exercises like lunges, squats, and planks. They help in strengthening the muscles around your core region and keep your spine healthy.
- Improper sleep pattern: Your sleeping pattern is as much important as your walking or sitting pattern, when it comes to the health of your spine. If you sleep on your stomach, pressure is placed on joints and muscles. This may cause straining of the muscles or ligaments in the spine region.
- Smoking: Cigarettes are not just unhealthy for your lungs or heart, they are equally bad for the spine. Cigarettes contain nicotine. Researchers have found that nicotine hampers the flow of blood to vertebrae and disks in between the spine. Insufficient supply of blood to the spine region results in low absorption of calcium by the bones in this region. Therefore, you end up developing back pain.
- Blame it on your emotions: Back pain adds to your emotional stress. But believe it or not, the reverse is equally true. Depression and emotional stress increases or sometimes even initiates back pain. When an individual is depressed, his or her glands releases stress hormones known as cortisol. This hormone causes the muscles in the back region to tense up.
Infertility is a condition where a couple, trying to conceive in a natural way is not able to do so even after one year of trying. It is also a matter of worry for patients who are over the age of 35 years and those who are not able to conceive naturally even after 12 months of trying constantly.
Causes: There are many causes of infertility. It may be down to a condition present in one or both partners. Ovulation and fertilisation are the main elements of the conception process and any condition in the female or male can upset either function, which can make it difficult to conceive.
While abnormal sperm production and transport may be a common condition that leads to infertility in males, other factors like side effects of cancer treatments and too much exposure to toxins and chemicals can also play an important role in this regard. For females, the causes of infertility may range from ovulation disorders, uterine and fibroid tumours, uterine and cervical anomalies, damage to or blockage of the fallopian tubes, endometriosis, primary ovarian insufficiency and pelvic adhesions.
Treatment: Female patients can turn to medication that will stimulate ovulation, intrauterine insemination, and surgical processes to correct a uterine septum and remove endometrial polyps, or even a hysteroscopy surgery. Male patients can go through a treatment for any existing infections, hormonal injections and medication, surgical options like vasectomy reversal and art or assistive reproductive technology.
If these methods fail, the patient or the couple can always turn to methods like in vitro fertilisation. For other mild reasons, lifestyle changes along with a stress free environment can help in increasing the chances of conception.
The pain that is associated with arthritis has been well documented. As a matter of fact, it is widely known that arthritis drastically reduces the joy in which a person can go about his or her daily life. However, while the condition may not be reversed, it can be improved with the help of the ancient system of medicine that is Ayurveda.
The field of Ayurveda may put forth solutions to problems such as arthritis, and it is to be kept in mind that the potential of these solutions is to not only improve the problem, but to better the overall health of a person. This has been well proven and documented multiple times over.
The age-old remedies of Ayurveda
- When a person is affected by arthritis, he or she should make the time to undergo a body massage, which makes use of either mustard or sesame oil. Over the course of the massage, the joints whichare afflicted by arthritis can be given more time and focus.
- Ayurveda places a strong focus on the dietary intake of a person. For one who has an issue with arthritis, it is strongly recommended that juices from citrus fruits such as orange and lemonshould be consumed. The reason for this is that the vitamin C which is present in the citrus family of fruits goes a long way in improving the situation.
- A person should also fast if he or she is physically strong enough to perform this task. This is because the process of fasting does a lot to clean out the system and reduces the impurities a person may have.In order for the body to repair well, it should be given a sufficient chance to rest.
- Sleep which is disjointed or inadequate should be replaced by forming habits which are favourable in giving a person sound and fulfilling sleep. The beneficial effects will show in about a few weeks.
- When it comes to health, a lot of issues a person faces in general are due to consuming the wrong kinds of foods. It should not come as a surprise at all that this is also the case when it comes to the problem of arthritis. As a result, a person who is arthritic should stay away from foods which are fried, hot and spicy, as such foods have a great ability to cause trouble.
The uterus, vagina and cervix are major components of the female reproductive system. Their functioning impacts the overall growth and health of the female body as well as sexuality.
There are a number of infections and diseases that affect the female reproductive organs. Most cases require clinical care and treatment in consultation with a gynaecologist.
Following are the symptoms of infection in the uterus, cervix or vagina:
- Pain or numbness in the pelvic region
- Unusual discharge from the vagina
- Bleeding during or after intercourse
- Pain or burning sensation during urination
- Skipped periods
- Excessively painful menstrual cramps
- Nausea and vomiting
- Urinary incontinence
There are three main types of infections that affect the organs of the female reproductive system. They are as follows:
This is an infection that affects the vagina. It occurs when the walls of the vagina get inflamed and irritated. It is caused by bacteria, viruses, yeast, chemicals and even clothing. It often occurs due to sexually transmitted diseases (STDs). The different types of infections that occur as vaginitis are yeast infection, viral vaginitis, bacterial vaginitis, trichomoniasis vaginitis, etc.
This infection affects the cervix. Cervicitis can either be acute or chronic in nature, depending upon what causes the cervix to get inflamed. It occurs most commonly due to sexually transmitted infections such as gonorrhoea, chlamydia and herpes. This condition is often confused with vaginitis as the two have similar causes and symptoms.
3. Pelvic inflammatory disease
Pelvic inflammatory disease (pid) is a serious infection that affects the uterus, ovaries and fallopian tubes. It is caused by sexually transmitted infections like chlamydia and gonorrhoea and can lead to severe complications. It often causes scar tissue to grow between the internal organs and may even lead to ectopic pregnancy. If not properly diagnosed, it can cause infertility and other chronic problems.
Treating the various infections that affect the female reproductive system depends on a number of factors such as nature of the problem, age and medical history of the patient, and the root causes. Early detection and diagnosis ensure effective treatment which makes it important to see a gynaecologist at the onset of symptoms.
Your wedding day is one of, if not the most special day in your life as you enter a new phase with your partner. One of the most important facets of looking your best during your wedding is to lose weight. Here are some points to remember and abide by when you are trying to lose weight-
Keep the target of losing weight a priority – You will have to ensure that exercising, following a strict diet and all the regimens are strictly adhered to in order to achieve success on this front. This should be started at least a few months before the wedding day so that results are visible on the day itself.
Reduce alcohol intake – Alcohol intake should be reduced as much as possible; bear in mind that it is even more difficult to achieve this as the day comes nearer. Numerous parties and gathering will have an offering of alcohol but it is best if you either abstain from it or severely limit your intake. Even small portions but regular consumption will dampen your efforts to lose weight.
Must have breakfast – Breakfast is the most important meal of the day and it is important that you have a healthy and satisfying breakfast to give you energy all day long. If you skip on breakfast, there is a possibility of overcompensating for it during other meals which will slow down weight loss or will contribute to weight gain.
Limit your food intake in various parties – Much before the marriage, you will have to attend as well as host many parties such as showers, bachelor parties, and many others. Foods served in these parties, in most cases, will be very fattening. Thus limit your food intake at various parties or opt for healthy options when you have control over the kind of food to be served.
Try seeking help and support – It is important to have proper mental support when trying to lose weight. There may be enablers in your home who might try to derail you from your goals unknowingly, and it is thus important to have proper support that will help you stay on the path. You could even seek professional support to help achieve your goals.
Reduce Stress – Stress and panic are two of the major contributors to binge eating which contribute to weight gain and thus may slow down or halt your weight loss progress. Mediate daily to reduce and keep stress levels in check.
Don’t Starve – This is a mistake many people make by not eating and over-exercising while trying to lose weight. However, this can rebound and come back to haunt you in a much bigger manner wherein you might end up binge eating. Hence, it is important to not starve and munch on healthy food such as fruits and other low calorie snacks.
Drink plenty of water, which is a very important ingredient in weight loss – An area which you shouldn’t neglect and skimp on, drinking sufficient water is also a necessity in order to achieve your weight loss goals.
It is quite evident that losing fat is not an easy task. If it were, people wouldn’t have spent on a million different diet plans and products. However, even the smallest weight loss tricks or changes in food habits can make a huge difference as far as dietary or weight loss plans are concerned. Given below 9 simple tricks that can be easily incorporated so that you can lose more fat.
- Modify your crockery: Fooling yourself with fancy plates and glasses as well as other tableside items can go a long way in helping you reduce your body fat. Small modifications in dinnerware is capable of tricking you into eating lesser amounts than usual. Using smaller plates makes the portions of food seem larger. Similarly, thinner and taller glasses make the beverages look bigger. Colours of the plates have a role to play too. Plates should be of such colour that it is in contrast to the foods normally consumed.
- Choice of Alcoholic Beverages: Alcohol consumption leads to an increased weight or calorie count. Hence, the choice of alcohol must be done with respect to the number of calories it adds.
- Salads and sauces: Being one of the easiest changes that can be made, having salads and sauces on the side can helping in controlling the amount of gravy or dressing consumed.
- Imagination: A mental image, which enables you to think that you are going to eat more than you should, should be developed which would aid you prevent overeating. It is believed that the imagination of overindulging hampers our motivation to eat in excess.
- Intermittent Fasting: Body fat is reduced when food is normally consumed within a smaller period of time than usual.
- Reduced Carbs: Maintaining a diet low in carbohydrates not only helps in reducing fats in the body but also forces the body to use the stored fat in the form of energy.
- Discard diet soda: Although diet sodas do not contain calories, consumption of diet soda forces you into eating more food and hence adding body weight. A healthier replacement would be drinking cold lemon water.
- Add more vegetables: Most fat loss plans end in consuming more vegetables. A simple trick like doubling the amount of vegetables in any recipe can go a long way in reducing fat.
- Water: Drinking large amounts of water is very helpful for losing fat. If you drink water before a meal, hunger and in turn, intake of fatty foods is reduced.