Nosebleed (Epistaxis) Treatment
Rotator Cuff Injury Treatment
Corn Removal Procedure
Nadi Pariksha Treatment
Scar Revision Surgery
Scar Revision Surgery
Treatment Of Deep Vein Thrombosis - Dvt
Deep Pigmentation Treatment
Cysts Removal Procedure
Treatment Of Learning Disorders
Treatment of Disc Prolapse
Kerala Massage Treatment
Treatment Of Childhood Diabetes
Kshar Sutra Therapy Treatment
One of the things that Shannen Doherty and Rita Wilson, the wife of Tom Hanks, have in common, apart from their fame is that both were affected by breast cancer. No matter how normal a person may seem, breast cancer can strike anyone. In fact, it usually strikes one in eight women. So, it makes good sense to know what it can appear as!
Breast cancer makes up a rather big amount of the general cancer cases as 15% of the cancer cases which are reported on a yearly basis are usually breast cancer cases. That being said, there are quite a few things which can be done in order to reduce a person’s risk to breast cancer.
Prevention is Prudent-
Get Fit: The first thing which should be done is that a reasonable level of fitness should be maintained. Many studies have found that if a person is significantly heavier than her recommended weight, she is at a far great risk to develop all sorts of cancer and breast cancer, in particular, than a person who is able to keep her weight in check. The difference in cancer risk rates is about 40%. This is because a greater amount of fat leads to more estrogen being produced, which increases the risk of breast cancer.
Quit Smoking: While most people associate smoking as something which increases the risk of cancer to the lungs and are not aware that it increases the risk of breast cancer, too. So, the best solution is to kick the habit!
Get Off the Pill: Once a woman crosses past her mid-thirties, she should try to avoid relying on birth control pills to reduce the risk of pregnancy. This is because these pills have an effect which increases the risk of breast cancer, which heightens as a woman gets older. As long as the woman cuts out the use of the pill, the risk quickly gets cut, as well.
Get Regular Check Ups: While screening for breast cancer by making use of mammograms does not cut the risk of it, the screening helps detect breast cancer early if it does exist. As a result, a woman has a much better chance of fighting breast cancer. So, a woman who is past the age of forty should try to have a mammogram on an annual basis with the frequency of the same increasing as she gets older. However, it is to be kept in mind that going for a mammogram too often is also not a good idea as the tests themselves pose risks of DNA changes.
Women all around the world are susceptible to breast cancer. While there isn’t a 100% chance of avoiding it, taking care of yourself and leading a fit and active lifestyle can significantly cut down your risk of contracting this condition. Remember, your health is in your hands, so the earlier you start, the better!
In today’s world, females have advance techniques available for shaping up their breasts. It is a part of their overall persona and beauty. Breast augmentation is one of the greatest plastic surgery operations that is done in hospitals across the globe.
Gone are the days, when you would sit back at home and blame nature for your saggy breasts. You have the gift of plastic surgery at your rescue. Breast augmentation can enhance the beauty of your breast and uplift its features. In this process, the implant is put under the pectoral muscle so that you can still breastfeed your infant if needed.
The process is executed with the help of a small 4 cm incision. The recovery process takes a week’s time. Breast augmentation can be carried out in a surgical centre or in any hospital’s outpatient facility. It doesn’t require a hospital stay in most cases. In some selected cases only, the procedure is done using local anaesthesia. In those cases, the patient stays awake. The breast region is made numb.
What to expect during the procedure?
The woman opting this must know what all are expected to happen during the procedure. The surgeon will insert the breast implant by making a single cut in one of the following three areas:
1. In the crease under breast
2. Underarm (axillary)
3. Around the nipple (periareolar)
After the incision is done, the surgeon will try and separate the breast tissue from the patient’s muscles and connective tissue. This will lead to the creation of a pocket either behind or in front of the pectoral muscle. After this, the surgeon will put the implant into the newly-created pocket. It will be centred behind the nipple.
Saline implants are put in an empty form and then filled with sterile salt water. Silicone implants are, however, pre-filled with silicone gel. After the implant is over, the cut is stitched with sutures and the skin is bandaged with adhesive and tape.
What to expect after the procedure?
For a few weeks, the patient might experience Soreness and swelling. It is also possible to develop bruises. Your scars will fade away with time. It is quite possible that the scars will not vanish permanently ever in your lifetime. You must wear a compression or sports bra at the time of healing. You might be required to take painkillers, as advised by the surgeon.
One of the fastest growing disorders in modern times is the malfunction of the Thyroid. The statistics show that the Thyroid condition is the most under-diagnosed health problem. There are millions of people suffering from Thyroid problems, but only a few out of those are diagnosed and treated, see positive results using Thyroid medications. Often the Thyroid levels appear normal with lab, yet the individuals struggle with the symptoms of Thyroid problem. The Thyroid is one of several glands in the endocrine system, located in the front of the neck. The glands of the endocrine system control many of the body’s functions through chemical substances called hormones. The hormones produced by the Thyroid gland regulate how the body cells use energy and how fast the body’s metabolism work. This gland also affects the rate of growth of the hair and bones, the body over weight, temperature and energy level as well as the function of the heart and digestive system.
Homeopathy For Thyroid
In homeopathy, there is no general treatment and no specific remedies for any disease. Rather, treatment is individualized. This means that the presentation of a disease in each patient is considered unique, and the homeopath prescribes remedies after an intimate consultation with each patient.
During the homeopathy consultation, the homeopath considers more than just the symptoms of the disease. He also considers the disposition and constitution of the patient. This means that the homeopath approaches treatment by weighing the physical, mental and emotional states of the patient as well as the symptoms of the disease. This approach leads to the prescription of a unique set of remedies for each patient. Therefore, two patients suffering from the same disease may receive two different sets of remedies from the same homeopath.
The second principle of homeopathy is the use of poisons to treat diseases. Homeopathy employs watered down poisons to treat disorders. A similar principle is used in the production of vaccines in conventional medicine. If a natural compound may cause certain symptoms and signs in high doses, homeopaths believe very low doses of the dilute solution of the compound can also relieve the same symptoms and signs.
Despite the apparent confusion and the seeming lack of coherence, homeopathy has been largely successful and in some cases, its practices and remedies can be backed up with scientific evidence. Even though homeopathy does not provide specific remedies for any disease, it is still possible to draw up a list of commonly prescribed homeopathic remedies for any disease.
Kegel exercises are simple contraction-and-relaxation exercises that make the pelvic muscles stronger. The pelvis area holds a person's genitalia, which contains a series of muscles and tissues that work in coordination and combination to perform sexual and bowel functions. A set of weak pelvic muscles would lead to issues such as the inability to control bladder and bowel functions.
Finding the right muscles can be troubling. An easy way to locate these muscles would be to place a clean finger inside the vagina and tighten the vaginal muscles around it. Another way would be to stop urinating mid-flow. This is because the pelvic muscles, which pertain to sex, help to control this action too. Once a woman finds the right muscles, all she has to do is to contract and relax them periodically.
Kegel exercises are highly beneficial for sexual functions in a number of ways. Some of the benefits include:
- Kegel exercises help to control stress incontinence, which is a condition that causes spontaneous discharge of urine when abdominal pressure increases suddenly. This means a person would leak urine when he/she laughs, coughs, jogs, sneeze or lifts anything weighty.
- Kegel exercises also help to prevent urge incontinence, which has been described as a sudden and strong urge to urinate. In a healthy bladder, the muscles remain relaxed as the bladder progressively fills up. As the bladder finally fills up, a person gets the urge to urinate. In case one has urge incontinence, the bladder might feel full even if it is not. Kegel exercises help to strengthen these muscles and recover control.
- Kegel exercises can be particularly helpful after childbirth. This is so because pelvic muscles stretch and weaken during childbirth, which can cause problems such as urinary incontinence and can also cause the muscles to sag. In these cases, Kegel exercises are helpful.
Backs are stabbed by the postural deformities and irregular lifestyle. In our hectic lifestyle, we come accross many wrong postures everyday which are hampering our back and lifestyle in day to day life and this is causing back pains to all of us.
These might be the luxurious couches or the uncomfortable chairs in office or just a simple foot-slip in bathroom, anything can cause this kind of distress or pain. Generally all back pains start very mildly and these keep on aggravating with the time and start causing different problems in life. If we look at the data from the different pharmacies, pain killers are most commonly sold for back pain. We all keep on taking these painkillers to relieve from the pain, but we never understand and believe that these are some solution.
Ayurveda treats all types of back pains and also have researched that there are several causes behind the back pain. In some cases, we all fee that …ohh!! this cannot be the cause of the back pain! Here is the list of the reasons-
- You comfortable Sofa or chair, on which you slouch daily: this deforms your back muscles and also makes you a patient of spondylosis.
- Your habits of walking very fast- chances of injury are very high in such cases.
- Heavy intake of dry foods in other language lack of proper unctuousness which can maintain the smoothness of your muscles and keep the rigidity away from you.
- Bad digestion and excess of intestinal gases in your body.
- A heavy sneeze, which you supressed because you were sitting somewhere in a meeting?
- A wrong way to pick the weight.
- Postural irregularities during pregnancy
- History of injury or accident
These are most common causes we have found in different patients but in almost all the cases we have found that this is the stiffness of the back muscles, which caused the problem. To give an add on many of the patients, just get into bed on recommendation of some physicians and this Bed-Rest proved BAD for most of them, because it increased the stiffness of the back over all.
Regular use of painkillers might give us a pleasant feeling of- “absence of pain” for a while but the same pain killer keep on worsening the health regularly and after years we feel- cheated, because we used the painkillers to just get rid of a sensation. We at Sukhayu Ayurveda are treating the cases of Back Pain since years. Among all these cases, if we talk scientifically, there were many patients of-
- Protrusion of Intervertebral Disc
- Herniated Disc
- Bulged disc
- Annular Ligament Tear
- Ruptured Disc
- Degenerative Disc Disorder
- Spondylosis and Spondylitis along with Spondylolisthesis.
Ayurveda has been curing all types of back pains. This was not relief for two-three days or months, patients are free from all the symptoms since seven years now. So if you are suffering from back pain since years and want to get rid of this, visit a specialized ayurvedic consultant and find a permanent cure for your back pain with Ayurveda.
Unhealthy eating habits, dust and pollution wreck a havoc to the skin and has become a major worry for many.
For many, skin problem is one of the most persistent problems and it is imperative to take care of skin to avoid skin disorders. Various factors, such as pollution, smoking, eating processed food and a sedentary lifestyle contribute to unhealthy skin.
Skin issues can be really stressful. But right skincare treatment can help in controlling a lot of problems. Just by sticking to 6 simple ways, you can keep your skin healthy:
Sun protection: Constant exposure to sun rays can cause a host of skin problems, such as skin cancer, wrinkles and age spots. The main culprits are the ultraviolet rays of the sun, which can cause damage to the skin when it is exposed. Using sunscreen and protective clothing can help protect the skin against UV rays.
Stress management: Stress can trigger the skin sensitivity, which causes it to be acne prone. Thus, managing stress is beneficial for maintaining a healthy skin.
Smoking: Smoking narrows the blood vessels in the skin that deliver oxygen and nutrients. Hence, it should be avoided to limit these problems.
Regular exercise and hydration: Regular cardio exercises, such as jogging and swimming, pump the blood that carry nutrients and oxygen to the skin. Exercise causes loss of water in the body, which needs to be replenished. Water keeps the skin healthy and prevents skin problems such as acne and dry skin.
Collagen supplements: These collagen supplements, especially in peptide form, considerable reduces wrinkles and will keep your skin firm and resilient.
Intake of antioxidants: Exposure to the sun, pollution and other environmental factors give rise to free radicals in the skin. These free radicals damage cells in the skin by oxidation. Foods rich in antioxidants are fruits and vegetables can limit the damage caused by free radicals.
Your stomach is lined with a mucosal membrane known as the mucosa and due to a variety of factors, it may become inflamed. This inflammation may cause a lot of problems and complications which are grouped under gastritis.
Symptoms of gastritis
- Upper abdominal pain,
- Reduction of appetite
- Blood in the stool amongst the others
Gastritis can be quite debilitating and limiting for the people affected by it.
The Ayurveda approach
Ayurveda is a holistic form of medicine which takes into account many factors rather than just the physical disposition and symptoms that strives to cure the patients of the illness in a well-rounded manner. To this effect, Ayurveda helps you treat this problem with multiple angles of attack such as herbal medications and special cleansing therapies among many others. Let’s take a look at some of the methods usually employed in various combinations among the patients.
- Changes in diet: Consuming any diet which has a lot of spicy and rich foods over prolonged periods may result in gastritis and other problems. If you already have gastritis, then certain other types of food also need to be excluded such as tea, coffee, sour foods, chilies and buffalo milk among others. These food groups are excluded as they may increase the acidity of the stomach which may cause an escalation of the problems. Some of the foods that may help with gastritis are grapes, pumpkins, bitter gourd, pomegranate, melons and cucumber, etc.
- Natural remedies: Some natural remedies that can be very effective in dealing with the symptoms of gastritis are mentioned below
- Ajwain and rock salt have been an age old remedy in treating multiple gastrointestinal disorders and can be effective in this case as well.
- Lemon juice is also very effective in treating symptoms or gastritis and also reducing inflammation.
- Take amla, ginger, and licorice either in a raw form or as a dried option or mixed with other things such as milk or honey. These help in regulating and reducing the acidity within the stomach.
- Ayurvedic medications: There are many specialized Ayurvedic medications which can be used to treat gastritis such as:
- Amalaki choorna
- Avipattikara choorna
- Sootashekhara rasa
- Sukumara Ghrita
- Dhatri Lauha
However, you should consult a specialist Ayurveda doctor as they can prescribe the correct medications for you after studying your specific symptoms.
Doctor I M Faijan m a 20 year old Bt my beard not come on my face m vary sad nd guilty to with my friends. please suggest mi on good medicine to grow a fast beard on my face. please doctor help I wait your Ans. Tnyu.
What are the benefits on my body drinking 750 ml to 1 litre hot water after a lunch / dinner about leaving for 20 mins. I want to reduce belly fat. And what should I do next!
Ayurveda recognises how each individual is different and that food intake must vary for each person. Ayurveda in total has identified six taste groups i.e sour, sweet, pungent, salty, astringent and bitter. All these taste groups have health benefits. The inclusion of all of these six tastes gives you satisfaction and provides nourishment and choosing one food group over the other may lead to health issues. A lot of people falter when it comes to eat right and overdo fast food. Eating bitter and pungent foods helps in reducing sugar cravings.
An overall view
The doshas can also be affected by the six tastes. Doshas can increase or decrease depending on the kind of food intake. They fluctuate depending on the laws of attraction. Predominance of ‘kapha’ leads to more accumulation of the same. ‘Vata’ gets pacified by salty, sour and sweet foods. Bitter, sweet and pungent foods reduce 'pitta'. ‘Kapha’ gets reduced by bitter, astringent and pungent foods.
Warm and heavily cooked foods are soothing for ‘vata’ type. Sweeteners, fatty or oily food help ‘vata’. Wheat and rice work wonders for ‘vata’. Vegetables, juicy fruits and cream are good for ‘vata’ as well. However, spicy and hot foods should be avoided.
Pitta is fiery; hence hot foods should be avoided. Cool foods assist digestion. Oil, salt and fat should be taken in small quantities. Ripe and sweet fruits and most vegetables help pacify pitta. Dairy products (except sour ones) are OK in moderation. Mint and coriander cool pitta. Pomegranate, rice and coconuts bring down pitta as well.
Kapha needs warming up and should be stimulated. Dry, warm and light foods lower kapha. Less oil and fat should be used. Barley, rye and buckwheat are grains that are ideal for kapha and so are cranberries and apples. Salt should be minimal for kapha types. Non-fat or low fat milk is ok, but cultured dairy should be abstained from.
Ama, a toxic substance, is believed to form once there is incomplete digestion. You should drink plenty of water at room temperature or warm water to prevent the formation of ‘ama’. Eating what sets your tongue on fire is also healthy for your body.
Homeopathy is a branch of traditional medicine that aims to cure diseases and disorders by focusing on causal factors. Homeopathic treatment comes to your aid for all your big and small problems alike. If you are part of the league that suffers from oily skin, homeopathy will be your answer. In most cases, oily skin doesn't lead to severe health issues, but it does cause inconvenience. It makes you feel sticky and smudgy, leading to a loss of confidence.
Homeopathic cures to keep oil on the skin at bay
Natrum mur: A good homeopath will administer this medicine only after having inquired a litany of things about your constitution. A homeopathic preparation varies from person to person depending upon the constitution of their body. If you have oily skin, you are prone to pore - clogging, acne, pimples and pockmarks. Natrum Mur efficiently deals with these problems. It helps in removing excess oil from the pores, making your skin glow at the same time. Prescription of this medicine is based on symptoms like inability to cope with difficulties, nervousness, intolerance to heat exposure, and an agitated disposition.
Psorinum: Your greasy skin often casts a shadow on your natural complexion. Oily skin makes you look exhausted at all times of the day. You can benefit from Psorinum as it deals with the overactive
sebaceous glands, cleans the pores of your skin, treats pimples and also fights dark patches. People who sweat profusely and suffer from body odor problems or people susceptible to cold are usually advised to take this medicine.
Silicea and kali bromatum: Excess oil secretion often leads to the development of pus containing acne or pimples. These pimples, when diminish, may leave permanent or long lasting marks on your face. Scars and marks further result in pigmentation. Such problems can take a huge toll on your psychological health, leading you to be overly concerned about the way you look or losing interest in self appearance. In this regard, Silicea and Kali Bromatum can work wonders for your oily skin and its resultant effects.
Berberis aquifolium: No amount of make up can mar the appeal of clear skin. If you have oily skin, you are likely to face dullness. Since dirt easily settles on a greasy skin, it can make you look darker than usual. Berberis Aquifolium is an unparalleled medication in homeopathy that treats the above conditions without any side effects.
Psoriasis can be defined as a skin condition, which is caused due to autoimmune disorders within the body. This is a condition where the skin on the body develops raised and dry areas which are reddish in colour while also being bordered by silvery scales.
Treatment of psoriasis in Ayurveda: Ayurveda has a different slant to conventional medicine with regards to the treatment of psoriasis. According to Ayurveda, it is the impurities in the blood, which cause the immune system to react adversely and cause this condition. Ayurveda concentrates on treating the underlying problems through the combination of changes in diet, home remedies and certain medications to treat this disorder. Some of them are mentioned below:
Changes in diet which will help purify the symptoms:
Some advice that is usually given to patients to clean up their diet and include certain other items are as follows:
- Avoid spicy food and try to eat food, which can be easily broken down within the digestive system
- Inclusion of more fruits and fruit juices in your diet
- Also include vegetables and also have a mix of boiled vegetables daily.
- It is better to avoid animal products such as animal fats, eggs, canned and processed foods from your diet.
- Regular consumption of butter milk and curd are known to be very good in blood purification and thus should be consumed in large quantities.
Some Ayurvedic tips and ingredients, which can help treat psoriasis:
Other tips that can be implemented as skin applications to treat psoriasis are as follows:
- Use avocado oil to rub on the affected areas as it is known to be an effective treatment when applied long term.
- Ensure that the skin is always moisturized by applying a soft, cream or gel.
- Periodic baths in sea water if possible is also good for lessening the symptoms of psoriasis.
- Aloe vera cream applied specifically on the patches is known to also lessen them overtime.
Few other tips to follow:
- Get into deep breathing and meditation to ensure that your body and mind are relaxed as this is very important during the healing process
- Expose the affected areas of your skin to mild sunlight for about half an hour daily as it is known to improve symptoms.
Prostatitis is a very common infection of the prostate. However, it is worth to note that prostatitis can also be an inflammation of the prostate without infection. Only 5 to 10 percent of prostatitis is caused by bacterial infection. Prostate cancer does not normally have its chances increased by prostatitis. There are several forms of prostatitis, including acute bacterial prostatitis, chronic bacterial prostatitis and chronic nonbacterial prostatitis (which is also known as chronic pelvic pain syndrome ).
The exact cause for prostatitis is not known, but here are some factors which increase its risk, particularly acute bacterial prostatitis.
- Medical instrumentation: Putting an instrument like a urinary catheter may well cause prostatitis.
- Rectal intercourse: This is basically another name for anal sex.
- Abnormal urinary tract: The urinary tract comprises of the bladders, kidneys, ureters and urethra. If any one of these organs gets infected, then prostatitis is much more likely.
- Bladder infection: A bladder infection may well spread to the prostate.
Prostatitis has a variety of symptoms. Here are the most common symptoms of prostatitis.
- Constant need of urination: This is one of the most common symptoms of prostatitis.
- Difficulty when urinating: Just like the constant need of urination, difficulty urinating is also a sign that you may have prostatitis.
- Pain while urinating: This is because the prostate gland is a part of your urinary tract and if it does not work properly, there will be pain.
- Chills and fever: This is a rarer symptom, but may indicate prostatitis if it is coupled with the other symptoms.
- Pain in perineal area and genital organs: If you are experiencing pain in genital organs, than it may indicate prostatitis.
- Painful ejaculations or relief of perineal pain after ejaculations: If you are having painful ejaculation or the pain arises after ejaculation, then it may be due to prostatitis.
- Hematospermia: Pinkish or brownish semen.
If these symptoms are persistent or bothersome, then a proper consultation is required. Evaluation includes physical examination along with few simple tests. This can be followed by proper treatment for cure or relief of symptoms.
Blood in urine, medically known as Hematuria is not usually a cause of concern, but it can translate into an adverse condition if left unevaluated. The kidneys and other structures in the urinary tracts such as urethra (tube connecting the bladder to the outer part of the body); bladder (that stores the urine) and ureters (tube joining the bladder to the kidney) are the sources of blood flow to the urine. Hematuria can be accompanied by symptoms such as discharge of tea-colored, brownish-red or pink colored urine due to the presence of red blood cells, traces of which can only be detected under the microscope.
Underlying causes behind this disorder might be
- Urinary tract infection is where the bacteria enter the body through the urethra and begin to proliferate in the bladder.
- Kidney infections (pyelonephritis) is when bacteria infiltrate into the kidneys from the bloodstream or travel up from the uterus to the kidneys.
- A kidney or a bladder stone is marked by the minerals in the concentrated urine precipitating out and molding into crystals that deposit on the bladder or kidney walls.
- Enlarged prostate is a condition in which the prostate gland, that is situated just below the bladder surrounding the upper part of the urethra, starts growing as males head towards their middle age.
- Kidney disease such as glomerulonephritis causes swelling of the kidneys, thus disrupting the filtering system.
- Bladder, kidney and prostate cancer are also possible causes.
- Hereditary disorders such as sickle cell anemia (a hereditary disease of the red blood cells in the hemoglobin) can also pose as a cause behind this disorder.
- Kidney injury as a result of heavy blows, accidents or injuries sustained while playing a spot can also contribute to this condition.
- Medications such as penicillin or the anti-cancer drug ‘cyclophosphamide’
- Strenuous physical exercises like intense workout or running may also result in Hematuria.
There is no fixed cure for Hematuria; instead the doctor would work on treating the repressed conditions behind the symptoms, such as prescribing antibiotics to heal the urinary tract infection or a medicine to shrink and normalize the enlarged prostate or administer a shock wave therapy to destroy the kidney or bladder stones.
With changing times the nature and effects of virus and bacteria are also changing and due to this, one of the biggest risks of unprotected sex is catching a sexually transmitted disease or STD. An STD can be contacted by any form of intercourse including oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STDs are serious diseases that should not be ignored and require treatment and medication. Some common STDs are:
- Hepatitis B
- Genital Herpes
- Syphilis and
The only way to protect yourself from an STD is to abstain from unprotected sex and always use a condom. Sometimes STD infections have no symptoms and can remain dormant for years, hence it is essential to get yourself regularly treated for STDs if you have more than one sexual partner.
On the other hand some STDs have visible symptoms such as:
- Skin rash: A rash in the genital area is most often a sign of STDs. This can be in the form of bumps, sores or warts. It may or may not be accompanied by itchiness. A rash caused by a STD usually results in redness and inflammation. Herpes sores may subside within a week or so but just because the rash is gone does not mean the infection has been treated. Hence even if the rash disappears before your doctor's visit, ensure you mention it.
- Painful urination: A burning sensation or pain while urinating is a symptom for a number of STDs. There may also be a change in the colour of urine. Some STDs associated with painful urination as Chlamydia, gonorrhea and trichomoniasis. However, this may also be triggered by kidney stones or a urinary tract infection.
- Painful intercourse: Pain during intercourse is one of the most overlooked symptoms of a sexually transmitted disease. While a little pain may be normal, any sudden increase in pain or new type of pain should not be ignored. This should be kept in mind especially when having intercourse with a new partner or if there is a change in sexual habits. When it comes to men's sexual health, pain at the time of ejaculation can be a symptom of a STD.
- Abnormal discharge: Abnormal discharge from the vagina or penis can be a symptom of a number of infections not all of which are STDs. Strangely coloured and odorous vaginal discharge can be a symptom of yeast infections or a Sexually transmitted disease like trichomoniasis or gonorrhea. Bleeding in between periods can also be a symptom of a STD. Abnormal discharge from the penis can be a sign of Chlamydia, gonorrhea or trichomoniasis.
Pain related sleep disruption has affected a large number of people around the globe. Statistics has it that, in India, about 25% of the population suffers from pain-related sleep deprivation. Studies call it ‘the vicious cycle of pain and sleep’ as pain affects your ability to sleep and lack of sleep makes the pain even worse.
Back pain and arthritis are examples of some common pain-related medical disorders. People with these types of chronic pains have reported persistent sleeplessness or have had immense trouble falling asleep.
The following are the primary sleep disorders associated with chronic pain:
- Insomnia: It is a medical condition that is characterized by an inability to fall asleep no matter how physically exhausted you are. Insomnia can be acute (lasting for one night to a week) or chronic (that lasts for more than 3 weeks).
- Hypersomnia: It is a condition wherein you tend to sleep excessively; in this condition, you will have trouble being awake throughout the day or can fall asleep at any point of time.
- Sleep Apnoea: This is a sleep disorder wherein breathing pauses and resumes repeatedly. Risk factors include obesity, age and gender; it is more commonly observed in men. This condition can be chronic with symptoms such as snoring loudly or feeling very tired even after one has had a night’s sleep.
- Restless leg syndrome: It is a sleep disorder wherein you continuously move your legs while sleeping. However, this condition can also cause you to move your legs even if you aren’t sleeping.
Some of the causes of sleep disorders due to chronic pain are:
- Worry and anxiety
- Sweating at night
- Depression and other mental disorders
A pain and sleep disorder should be simultaneous as both the components of it, pain and sleep, are interrelated. Some of the ways people with chronic pain can still have a good night’s sleep are:
- Limiting caffeine intake
- Abstaining from alcohol and smoking, as these disrupt the sleep cycles, thus aggravating the existing pain.
- Practicing meditation and other relaxation techniques
- Pain killers or sleeping pills can be administered, but only with the doctor’s advice.
- Hot water fomentation over painful area during night, for better sleep.
Depression follows the trajectory opposite to contentment. It has adverse effects on a person's mental and physical health. Being depressive is not a choice; it is a condition. The fact that despondency is not an elected way of life is a mystery to many. People surrounding a depressed person should make conscious efforts in treating them with love and dignity. Subjecting a person to strict deadlines, stringent rules or excessive pressure could worsen their situation.
Ways to tackle a depressed family member:
- Create occasions to enjoy a hearty laugh: If you have a family member suffering from depression you should probably share the benefits of laughter with him or her. Laughter is the best medicine to remedy acute depression. Look for opportunities to crack a joke or make the concerned person play with a pet. You can also take the person to watch humorous movies.
- "You are impossible" is the worst way of approaching a problem: In many cases a depressed person is reported with instances of negativity. Though the expressed negativity makes you feel morbid, do not give up on your family member. The person involuntarily finds reasons to feel hopeless. You should never think the case is beyond any kind of betterment.
- Keep them in a positive environment: Positive ideas can counter dejection. Help the person plan for a great future. Lay stress on how important that person is to you and to the world in general. Keeping one's mind creatively occupied can prove to be effective. Music or any other passion for that matter can help a person get over phases of depression.
- You should not associate depression with perpetual sadness: Depression can have plenty of symptoms. The symptoms vary from one person to another. While some people lack in motivation some might want to harm themselves or others. Many become a recluse. The minute you associate depression with sadness you limit your overview of the actual problem.
- Help the family member take his or her medicines diligently: While counseling helps a few patients of depression some others require medication. A bout of depression will dissuade a person from sticking to his or her medical routine. As a loved one it is your due responsibility to persuade him or her to take medicines regularly.