Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Oncologists in India. You will find Oncologists with more than 27 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Oncologists online in Mumbai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Submit a review for Dr. Sumit ShahYour feedback matters!
Colon cancer is cancer that starts in the large intestine (colon). In most cases it begins as a non-malignant group of cells called polyps, which may turn cancerous over time. After the formation of the malignant tumors, the cancerous cells may spread to other parts of your body through lymph and blood channels. It can occur together with rectal cancer and is known as colorectal cancer.
Causes of Colon Cancer
The occurrence of colon cancer may depend on the presence of precancerous polyps in the colon. Adenomas polyps may turn cancerous, but are removable through colonoscopy. Hyperplastic polyps rarely become cancerous, whereas inflammatory polyps may become cancerous after the inflammation of the colon.
Other risk factors that may influence the occurrence of colon cancer are,
- Genetics: about 20% colon cancers are thought to be caused by mutation of the genes.
- Age: those over the age of 50 are more likely to develop colon cancer, though now it is also increasingly affecting younger people.
- Lifestyle: it is more likely to affect people who lead a sedentary lifestyle, smoke tobacco or are obese.
- Diet: it is more likely to affect those whose diets are high in red meats, calories, and fat while being low in fiber. Alcohol consumption may also affect its occurrence.
- Medical conditions: people who suffer from diabetes, acromegaly (growth hormone disorder) and colitis etc, may also be prone to develop colon cancer.
Warning Signs of Colon Cancer
Colon cancer generally goes undetected in the early stages. The symptoms vary with the location, spread and size of the tumor. In the earlier stages of cancer, most people experience no symptoms, but in the later stages they may experience one or more of these symptoms:
- Change in bowel habits such as diarrhea, constipation or change in consistency of stools; lasting more than a month
- Blood in stool or bleeding from the rectum
- Pain during passage of stool
- Pain, cramps or gas in the abdominal region
- Frequent urges to pass stool
- Irritable bowel syndrome
- Unexpected weight loss
However, these symptoms may not necessarily indicate colon cancer. They can occur in the absence of colon cancer too.
Sir I am suffering from health anxiety disorder from last 2 year. I am continuously searching on google for small symptoms also. Now I am afraid of stomach cancer as I have gerd. Please help to come out from this please doctor advise me what should I do.
What could be the reason for an enlarged prostate and can I continue to live a healthy life with it and have kids?
What test has to be performed to check if prostrate gland is functioning well? What are symptoms of malfunctioning of prostrate gland?
I had lump on 6th of Aug Upto negative on 16 Sept Usg reveals left ovarian hypoechoic cyst measuring about 5 cm with increased endometrial thickness Dr. prescribed duphaston for three days And advice to repeat upto after few days Is it a pregnancy or a delayed period because of ovarian cyst.
My husband eat lot of gutka and smoke he is got allergies on his body he eats allergy medicine for same please advice me is there any symptoms of cancer.
Want to know the symptoms of breast cancer my age is 37 have 2 kids one is 8 years & second one 1 years still feeding.
A breast examination is a way of detecting early changes that may find lumps of other growth in the breast. This is a manual form of examination that may be carried out by the doctor or even by the patient. This kind of examination helps in detecting the onset of breast cancer and helps in successful treatment of the same. It is an essential screening strategy that all women must go through. Let us cast a glance on the various details regarding this examination, and also how frequently it must be conducted.
- Age: Women who have reached the age of 18 are said to have matured physically and sexually. They should perform this examination once they have reached the said age in order to detect any anomalies in the way the physical changes occur in the breast tissue.
- Procedure: One should begin by looking at one's reflection in the mirror to find any rashes or dimpling in the breasts. The shape, size and colour of the breasts and nipples must also be studied so as to check for any anomalies. Inverted nipples, redness and soreness must also be reported to the doctor. Once you are done checking the visuals, you can raise your arms and look for any changes. Then, you will need to lie down and feel your breasts by using a circular motion. The finger pads must be used in order to check for any lumps. One must start from the centre and move the breasts sideways. Any wet and slippery feeling must be reported to the doctor immediately.
- Pressure: During the breast examination, you must use light pressure for the skin and tissue that lie beneath the breasts, while medium to moderate pressure should be used for the middle portion of the breasts. One must use a firm hand to check the tissue that lies at the back of the breasts, near the rib cage.
- Frequency: One must get into the habit of conducting a breast examination at least once a fortnight or once a month, without fail. You can also go to the gynaecologist for an examination in case you are not confident of conducting it on your own with proper movements and accuracy. You may also journalise your breast examination findings.
- Menstrual Cycles: When you are going through your menstrual cycle or period, it is important to remember that your breasts can become tender just before or after the start of the cycle. So, do not panic if you think you have found a lump or any other growth at this time. It is best to check again after a week and then visit the doctor about checking the same. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a Gynaecologist.
My grand mom is suffering from cancer. As c is in third stage so what should I doo to take care of her cancer? Please give me suggestion. P.
I am suffering from prostate -as per psr it is .84 I am taking allopathic tablet for this. I am having problem of frequent urine. Is there some ayurvedic medicine to cure this for ever I r goel.
What is the blood Cancer. What is the is the effect of blood cancer in human body. How to stop the blood cancer in human body. And how to treat brain tumor?
Dear Lybrate Doctor, Recently I read in some News Paper that Papaya juice cures all types of cancer. One Cancer patient (can not say what cancer) consumed 2 glasses of papaya juice and within 2 months, he was completely cured from Cancer. The doctors themselves could not believe that he recovered so fast. Can not say, at what stage the Cancer was but still there is one definite cure, as per Doctors. Further one Medical reports says that wheat sprouts also cure Cancer because Cancer is basically deficiency of Vitamin B 17 which causes Cancer cells to grow without control. It was mentioned that Wheat sprouts have Vitamin B 17 in abundance and is a certain cure for Cancer. I am sure your tam certainly knows about Wheat Grass juice therapy for Cancer which was identified by Dr. Ann Wigmore, author of book "Why Suffer" I am writing this for readers to know and also confirmation from your team of Specialists for treatment of Cancer patients.
Do body deodorants (anti perspiring) or cosmetics cause cancer? Is there any side effects of using them on our body? Please answer.
What are the precaution for cancer? Is there something related to age or food habits? How does it actually happen what can I do for this? please ans.
My wife get little gland on her breast. And now it's increase day by day. Or its starts pain when touched little hardly.
I am a diabetes patient and prostate gland. I got to know about my situation related to prostate in 2005 and about diabetes in 2006. According to suggestion of doctor I visited, I took the medicines but it didn't work. What should I do?
My mother having neuro fibromatosis type 2. Now she having lower cranial nerve schwanomma. Doctors are plan for gamma knife surgery. They are fix frame and do the mri suddenly they tell gamma knife coil is not working. After that they cancel surgery and remove the frame. They give another date for surgery with in 5 days. Is there any problem for refixing the frame with in shot period. Now she very panic about for fixing of frame and pain. Please give a solution for these refixing of frame.
Bladder cancer is the result of the growth of cancerous cells inside the bladder. Bladder cancer is mainly of four types:
- Urothelial carcinoma: In this type of bladder cancer, the tumours may be limited to the bladder or spread from the urothelial to the deeper layers in the bladder. The urothelial is the epithelium lining in the renal pelvis, ureters, urethra and bladder.
- Squamous cell carcinoma: Squamous cells are flat, thin cells that form after a prolonged infection in the bladder. The cancer starts from these cells.
- Adenocarcinoma: Glandular cells in the bladder produce and discharge mucus. This type of cancer begins from the glandular cells.
- Superficial bladder cancer: If the cancer is limited to the bladder lining, then it is known as superficial bladder cancer. The cancer might spread to the bladder muscle wall, or spread to the lymph nodes and organs close to it.
It is important note that, if bladder cancer is detected early, then it can be cured most of the times.
Who is at a risk of acquiring bladder cancer?
Those who smoke or have a history of bladder cancer in the family or are exposed for to industrial chemicals for long durations are at an increased risk of bladder cancer.
The symptoms of bladder cancer include:
- Blood in urine
- More frequent passing of urine
- There is a sensation of pain or burning when urinating
- Bladder is not emptied completely
- Pain in the lower back
Bladder cancer treatment by conventional medication can be complemented by Ayurveda; especially, with the Panchakarma therapy, which detoxifies the body. Detoxification can be done by:
- Snehana therapy that is oil massage
- Swedana that is steaming therapy
- Vamana that is by urging vomiting
- Virechana that is by purging
- Basti is the enema medication
- Nasya or through nasal medication
- Raktamokshana Therapy
Along with the above mentioned therapies, consuming medicated juices, which contain fruits and vegetables is good for the body. Antioxidant Ayurvedic medicines are also highly beneficial. Practicing yoga, sound therapy, pranayama, acupressure and acupuncture can help in the long run.
Sometimes, traditional cancer medication can rob the body of its strength once the symptoms are cured. Rasayan Chikitsa can help the body regain its strength. Rasayan Chikitsa improves the metabolism, memory, longevity, hair and complexion. It brings back the vigour that was lost. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a specilized ayurveda and ask a free question.