Lybrate.com has a nexus of the most experienced Gastroenterologists in India. You will find Gastroenterologists with more than 37 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Gastroenterologists online in Mumbai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Shalin Dubey
Submit a review for Dr. Shalin DubeyYour feedback matters!
I am 40 years old with normal bp sugar thyroid. I am having chest pain from last 1 year. Hv been to many doctors. They say it's acidity and muscular pain. I have vitamin d and b12 deficiency. I get very scared whenever I have chest pain. Hv done ECG also in Feb. What to do pls help. I walk around 2-3 km everyday. I hope it's not related to heart. I don't hv any fault history of heart also.
My sister has to get operated she has gall bladder stone who is best doc and which hospital is good and reasonable I am in C R Park Delhi.
Hi, I am 29 year old and in ultrasound report found 3.8 mm Gladstone. Could you pls advise correct treatment to dissolve? Or I need to do operation? Right now I am not experiencing any pain.
I am 56 years old (male). I am suffering from loss of appetite for past 2 years. Last year I consulted a physician for treatment of blood in stool. After a treatment of around 4 months my ailment was cured. But recently I am experiencing the same problem. Blood is coming with stool 4 to 5 times in a day. Please advise.
Sir, Me jab ladki ke sath bat kerta hu to meri penis se lubricant continous niklta rahta hai. Fir stomach ke niche bhag me pain hota hai toilet me jalan hoti hai. Sir me himalaya ki spemen tablet lu to fayada hoga. Ya dhatupaushtik churna lena hoga. Mujhe gas ki problem bahut hai.
The liver is the second biggest organ in the human body an works through the day and night removing toxins, fighting infections, aiding digestion and lowering cholesterol levels. The over-consumption of alcohol (more than 20 units a week) can cause unnecessary stress to your liver and in long-term, result in Alcoholic Liver Disease (ALD).
Stages of ALD
There are three stages of ALD depending on the intensity of liver damage.
- Fatty Liver: The excess accumulation of fat inside the liver cells is the first step towards ALD. This is a fairly common condition in men and women who are regular drinkers. The condition is preventable and reversible when the alcohol consumption is minimized. Doctors would get an ultrasonography to identify the extent of fatty deposits.
- Alcoholic Hepatitis: This stage includes acute inflammation of liver because of prolonged over-consumption of alcohol. Liver scarring, destruction of individual liver cells and subsequent liver failure are further complications developed. Common symptoms would include jaundice, fever, enlargement in the liver and an abnormal increase in the white blood cell count. A liver biopsy would reveal how severe the condition is.
- Alcoholic Cirrhosis: The normal liver tissue is completely replaced with scarred, fibrous tissue and regenerative nodules. The regular consumption of more than 60 g of alcohol in men and 20 g of alcohol in women increases the risk of developing acute cirrhosis. The symptoms include portal hypertension, excessive bleeding, kidney failure, an enlarged spleen and liver cancer. Experts will get a liver biopsy done to analyze the severity of the condition.
Research mentions that people in India get affected by ALD at least a decade earlier than people in the west. Consumption of cheaper, bad alcohol and the lack of knowledge about the disease are some of the reasons why ALD is the third most common cause of death in the world. The below mentioned preventive measures help keep the disease at bay and will protect your liver.
- Limit alcohol consumption to 10-12 units a week
- For people in stages 2 and 3, stopping alcohol consumption is absolutely necessary
- Take a detoxifying break for a couple of months a year. Abstain completely from alcohol and let the body recover from the toxins
- For stress-related drinking problem, there are experts who can help deal with stress positively
- Alcohol addiction needs immediate support from trained experts
- Good food and right nourishment helps make the condition manageable
- Mixing of different drinks can intensify ALD
Know your limits and consult a doctor if you find your alcohol consumption going overboard. When diagnosed early, you can reverse ALD and get back to normalcy quicker.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!