Find numerous Gastroenterologists in India from the comfort of your home on Lybrate.com. You will find Gastroenterologists with more than 29 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Gastroenterologists online in Mumbai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Submit a review for Dr. Samir ShahYour feedback matters!
I am Having severe motions vomiting digestion problem and not feeling hungry if I feel also able to take only small quantity of food and my stomach is full and digestion problems are there.
Hello. Amla very effective for poor digestion, digestive system problem and liver problem. please write dosage of amla.
My sister complains of blood in stools, the blood color is red and comes after passing stool. She has a small piles like swelling, and the motion is not hard. Please help if any diet changes are to be done and any emergency condition.
Sir Mujhe reflux esophagitis la grade a erosive gastritis rut for h pylori hai Aur stomach me jukham ho gaya hai Kitne din me think ho jisse please ans.
Hiii doctor good mroning i have soar throat frim last 1 year and it is not goin i have shown to ent specialist he told me that my throat is fine just may b becouse of gas it is happening....i hav removed gall bladder due to stone.can you plz suggest me doctor why it is happening
Hello madam I've some problems with food digestion and excretion could you please help me in solving with this issue?
I am loosing hairs from both side of my upper head. Increasing baldness. Which oil and shampoo should be used. Also suffering from acidity problem. Please give right treatment? i.
Many times facing acidity problem. Please tell ne reason why acidity to me also tell me the remedy .also Headache during acidity.
Hello sir I have a gastric problem from some couple of days so what should I do. And what care should I take forward to move out.
It is important for you to know about inflammatory bowel disease or IBD, it is a group of intestinal disorders, which leads to prolonged inflammation of your digestive tract. The digestive tract is made of the mouth, stomach, oesophagus, small intestine and large intestine. It performs the task of breaking down food, removing unusable materials and waste products, and for breaking down nutrients from food. Inflammation along with the digestive tract causes disruption in this process. IBD is a fatal condition which can be life threatening in some cases.
Major types of inflammatory bowel disease
The term inflammatory bowel disease is an umbrella term under which many diseases are included. The two major and most common diseases under IBD are ulcerative colitis and Crohn’s disease. Crohn’s disease (a chronic inflammatory disease of the intestines, especially the colon and ileum, associated with ulcers and fistulae) can lead to inflammation in any part of your digestive tract. It commonly affects the small intestine’s tail end. In case of ulcerative colitis, inflammation takes place in the large intestine.
Causes of IBD
Although the exact cause of IBD is not known, several factors may lead to this condition. They are as follows:
- Genetics: You are more likely to develop IBD if someone in your family has the disease. This is because of the genetic component of IBD.
- The immune system: The body’s immune system plays a role in IBD. Usually, your immune system defends your body from pathogens. A bacterial or viral infection in the digestive tract may lead to an immune response. The digestive tract becomes inflamed as the body fights against the bacteria or viruses. The inflammation goes away when the infection is gone.
However, in the case of IBD, the digestive tract inflammation may occur without any infection. Your immune system attacks your body’s cells. This is called an autoimmune response. IBD can also occur when the infection is cured, but the inflammation remains.
The various symptoms of IBD depend on the severity and location of the inflammation. They are as follows:
- Diarrhoea which occurs when the bowel cannot reabsorb water.
- Bleeding ulcers which cause blood to show up in your stool.
- Stomach pain, bloating and cramping because of bowel obstruction.
- Weight loss and anaemia, which leads to delayed development and growth in children.
- In patients with Crohn’s disease, canker sores may develop in the mouth.
- Ulcers and fissures may appear on the anus or genital area.
- IBD may also be associated with problems such as eye inflammation, arthritis and skin disorders.
The major complications which may arise from IBD include colon cancer, malnutrition with weight loss, fistulas, intestinal rapture and bowel obstruction. It is important for you to consult a doctor on noticing any of the IBD symptoms.