Find numerous Gynaecologists in India from the comfort of your home on Lybrate.com. You will find Gynaecologists with more than 36 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Gynaecologists online in Mumbai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Management of Abortion
Caesarean Section Procedure
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Termination Of Pregnancy Procedure
Treatment Of Pregnancy Problems
Well Woman Healthcheck
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Treatment Of Medical Diseases In Pregnancy
Treatment Of Menstrual Problems
Intra-Uterine Insemination (IUI) Treatment
Medical Termination Of Pregnancy (Mtp) Procedure
Gynecology Laparoscopy Procedures
Pap Smear Procedure
Submit a review for Dr. R P SoonawalaYour feedback matters!
There are a number of potential benefits from corn oil, including its ability to prevent oxidative stress, reduce inflammation, lower “bad” cholesterol, protect the skin, boost vision health and minimize allergic reactions, among others. However, there are also some side effects you need to consider, including weight gain, a higher risk of cancer, and potential toxicity. Some of these side effects are heavily dependent on the type of corn oil you use, and the manner in which it was extracted from the corn itself.
Corn oil is derived from the germ of the corn plant, one of the most widely grown and relied on crops in the world. Due to this huge availability, corn oil is one of the most inexpensive vegetable oils, and thus one of the most popular. Corn oil can be acquired through an extended process of expeller pressing, refinement, and steam distillation. While this creates an oil that has a very high smoke point, making it ideal for cooking purposes, it also saps many of the beneficial compounds from the oil, in which case, there are few health benefits. That being said, even the unrefined version of this oil is very high in fat and calories, and is considered less healthy than many other vegetable oils, such as olive or almond oil. If you want to benefit from using corn oil, seek out varieties that have been cold-pressed, and are labeled organic or unrefined. These will have a lower smoke point, but will also possess the monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats that provide corn oil’s various health benefits.
Uses, benefits and nutrition facts of corn oil
- People primarily use corn oil as a cooking oil, due to its semi-neutral flavor and cost, in comparison to other vegetable oils. However, some people use organic corn oil in medicinal or topical applications, and even as a massage oil. The efficacy of this oil for health depends on the source and processing method of the oil. Unrefined, organic corn oil delivers some benefits, as explained below.
- Cholesterol levels: monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats are both needed by the body, as they can help to control inflammation and excess cholesterol. However, these fats aren’t balanced in most forms of corn oil, particularly in refined varieties. Therefore, this oil can reduce blood pressure and balance cholesterol in very limited quantities, so use the oil sparingly when cooking.
- Inflammation: both omega-3 and omega-6 are known to work against inflammation, when consumed in moderation in the body. This can help relieve symptoms of arthritis, as well as headaches, gastrointestinal problems and even inflammatory conditions of the skin.
- Vision health: there are other ingredients besides fats in corn oil, such as flavonoids and antioxidants, such as lutein, which can reduce free radical activity in the body. Specifically, lutein is able to protect vision health and prevent the development of cataracts.
- Antioxidant effects: monounsaturated fats, polyunsaturated fats, flavonoids, and vitamin e all have antioxidant properties, which can help reduce oxidative stress throughout the body. When used in moderation, this oil can help to prevent chronic disease, and even lower the occurrence of certain cancers, while also helping to make the skin look and feel younger.
- Allergies: some of the compounds in corn oil have been known to reduce allergic reactivity in the body, helping to keep symptoms of asthma and rhinitis at bay. Although corn oil is rarely used as a topical oil, it can help allergic reactions on the skin when applied directly.
- Skin conditions: whether you use corn oil directly on your skin or consume small amounts of it, the antioxidants and tocopherols in the oil will help prevent skin infections and help to relieve irritation, blemishes, eczema and psoriasis. It can even help to reduce the appearance of wrinkles and other age spots. However, remember that this oil is very high in fat, and should always be consumed in moderation, no matter how good it makes your skin look!
Although there is some debate about the health effects of corn oil, the nutritional facts of this oil are quite clear, and when used in responsible amounts, this oil can provide certain key nutrients to the body. Monounsaturated fats and polyunsaturated fats can be found in high levels in unrefined corn oil. This includes linoleic and oleic acids, although when it comes to the balance of omega-3 to omega-6 fatty acids in corn oil, the ratio is far from ideal. There are nearly 50 times more omega-6 fatty acids than omega-3 fatty acids, whereas the recommended ratio is 1: 1. You can also benefits from the high levels of vitamin e in this oil, as well as limited levels of vitamin a, xanthins and trace amounts of other antioxidant compounds.
Side effects of corn oil
There are numerous side effects of corn oil, including potential toxicity, increased risk of cancer, increased risk of cardiovascular disease, stomach irritation, and weight gain. Even when used in small amounts, people seeking a healthy vegetable oil are typically directed away from corn oil. If you are going to use this oil, however, be sure to use organic and unrefined corn oil, which will have the highest level of potentially beneficial compounds.
- Heart health – although there are some monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats in corn oil, the balance of omega-3 to omega-6 is wildly skewed, and this oil remains very high in fat. A single tablespoon contains more than 20% of your daily fat allowance. It can cause cholesterol problems for some who use an excessive amount, particular those who are already dealing with cardiovascular issues.
- Cancer – some studies have found a connection between excess levels of omega-6 fatty acid and increased levels of prostate cancer. While certain elements of corn oil can help prevent cancer, others may increase your risk in other ways.
- Toxicity – due to the high level of herbicide and pesticide use in agricultural practices, and the various countries where corn oil can be produced, there is a chance of toxicity in this oil. This can manifest in trouble with your liver and kidneys. As mentioned before, it is important to know exactly where your corn oil comes from.
- Obesity – corn oil may have some health benefits, but it is also very high in calories (more than 120 per tablespoon, compared to 40 per tablespoon of olive oil). As a result, excessive use of this oil can significantly boost your daily caloric intake, and you may not even realize it, easily compromising your weight loss goals.
Hi I am 7 months pregnant. Please let me know a detail diet plan. I am taking high protein diet like cheese, mama proteins, grams, pulses, fruits, milk. Please chalk out a daily diet plan for my 8th & 9th month. Please describe in detail rather than writing in general like high protein, high vitamin etc, please be specific.
When the little member of the family arrives, a father spends a lot of time with their kids and by nurturing and playing with them, understand their need and always stand by them.
As time passes, the little child learns to speak and walk, and the father lends himself to teach and help his baby explore the world. The little child is convinced and believes that his father is the ultimate man on the planet and he looks up to be like him someday.
New responsibilities bring about a bout of stress
Is it difficult to don the role of a father? Yes. However, no father feels so because of the love and happiness he gets from his little bundle of joy.
A father has a host of duties. One essential thing is to look after the members of the family and earn the bread for them. As he ages, all these involvements start taking a toll on his mental and physical health and make him vulnerable to stress and anxiety.
He could have a new boss in his office who’s driving him crazy, or he may have new responsibilities coming up with the promotion. Or maybe his business has extended and kept him preoccupied with different works. He is yearning to return home faster and play with his kids, but he is helpless.
Quick tips to help them de-stress
For ages now, the primary breadwinner of a family is the man. Though women have started earning as well, man is still considered responsible for the family’s financial well-being.
Anxiety and stress go hand-in-hand in a father’s life. It is essential to know ways to help them de-stress themselves which will help him to not only fulfill their responsibilities, but will also provide satisfaction and happiness of being a father.
Be it a young and new father or an old and experienced father. Following are a few ways to help them de-stress:
Taking a walk every now and then is really a great way to de-stress and a 10 minute walk every day can do wonders.
Breath being the life force, practicing Pranayama, the breathing technique makes them mentally and physically active
Engage them in a refreshing hobby like gardening. Small plants in your portico or a full-fledged garden in your backyard, they have immense impact on your well-being
Reduce screen time whenever possible
Family time is important as is their me-time. Make them take time for themselves and let them hang out with their buddies
Request them to practice stress relieving poses like Eagle pose three or four times a week. Also, indulge in rejuvenating spas and massages
Treat them to a good movie with their partner or musical of their choice.
Yoga to relieve the stress
Fathers play a significant role in the life of the child, and the father is considered the guiding light for the children. Father’s love is reflected and felt at every stage as the child grows up. Modern life comprises of stress, and it could eventually lead to health issues such as chest pain, insomnia, and others.
Yoga helps in relaxing the muscle and helps the mind to refresh up. It lowers the level of stress hormone and increases the energy level to a great extent. People who perform Yoga on a regular basis have a healthy mind and body.
Thus, on this particular occasion of Fathers’ Day, it is worthy to celebrate it in a way that would prove to be beneficial for the father. Let the father be celebrated and let he be offered the gift of health on this special day!
Apart from all these ways to help them de-stress, you can also help them by booking a preventive health check up for them.