Find numerous Psychologists in India from the comfort of your home on Lybrate.com. You will find Psychologists with more than 44 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Psychologists online in Mumbai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Treatment & Management of Stress
Treatment of Mood Disorder
Sex Addiction Counselling
Anger Management Therapy
Treatment of Behaviour & Thought Problems
Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder Treatment
Treatment of Drug Abuse and Addiction
Counselling And Stress Management
Treatment of Abnormal Behaviour
Nicotine De-Addiction Treatment
Management of Parenting Issues & Doubts
Submit a review for Dr. Ms. Nipa MehtaYour feedback matters!
Hi, I am having very depressive thoughts lately. I feel tired all the time. I try to evade any social gathering and have constant paranoia jitters. What should I do?
I lost somebody close last year and since then feel very depressed and prefer keeping to my self all the time. please help me.
I lost some body close last year and since then feel very depressed and Peter keeping to myself all the time. please help me.
Hi sir my mind is not stable I loved a boy but he rejected me and he told soo many good words to change my behaviour nd nw I am very fond of him but in this situation one person proposed me and told that i Am his heart and I believe him he is soo honesty I know he cares me a lot but my parents can't accept in future of course they don't know abt my love and the person who proposed me I am in confusion that I rejected the person who loves me nd the person whom I loved rejected me I can't concentrate on my studies pls help me.
If your child is suffering from mental retardation, homeopathy can help. A system of complementary medicine, homeopathy works on the dictum of ‘like treats like’. It is able to treat some of the toughest disorders and illnesses that allopathy finds hard to contain.
Mental retardation: Definition
- Mental retardation is a blanket term for a pattern of persistently slow learning of basic motor and language milestones during childhood.
- The adult manifests a below-normal intellectual capacity too. Such people have an intelligence quotient (IQ) of 70 or below.
- They usually have developmental disabilities, developmental delay, or learning difficulties.
These signs should alert parents and spur them to see a doctor-
- If your child learns to sit up, to crawl, or to walk later than other children
- Trouble speaking and forming words, remembering things, and having trouble understanding social rules
- Trouble solving problems
- Trouble thinking logically
What needs to be made clear is that poor academic performance by itself is not a sign of mental retardation. It can be due to multifarious reasons like behaviour problems.
Causes of Mental Retardation
- Down syndrome and Fragile X syndrome are the most common genetic causes of mental retardation.
- Problems during pregnancy and birth
- Rubella infection in pregnant mother
- Iodine deficiency in mothers
- Malnutrition is a common cause of reduced intelligence in children.
ADHD - Most Common Mental Disorder
ADHD or Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder refers to those psychological disorders, which significantly alter a child's behavior and considerably affects his or her relationships with others. This condition is seldom preceded by perceptible symptoms and even when they do, they are difficult to decipher. However some of them are:
- Self-centered: Those children who suffer from the attention deficit hyperactivity syndrome tend to be encapsulated in their own subjectivity. Though this does seem harmless apparently, this tendency may lead them to be insensitive to other's needs and wants.
- Emotional outbursts: ADHD makes children extremely susceptible to frequent emotional outbursts and makes them erratic.
- Difficulty in concentration: Children who suffer from ADHD face extreme difficulty in concentrating or focusing on things. Many a times they fail to repeat what was told to them.
Autism - Mental Disorder
Autism, sometimes also classified as part of the Autism Spectrum disorder or ASD is a disorder of brain development, which will affect a child's capability to interact socially, in communicating through verbal and nonverbal means as well as exhibit repetitive behaviors. Some severe cases of these behaviors may also result in self-harm as well.
Other than this some other characteristics may be:
- Major to minor difficulties in motor coordination
- Intellectual disabilities
- Attention problems
- Gastrointestinal problems
- Sleep related problems among others
How homeopathy can help
Conventional medicine is mostly used to treat some of the symptoms but is never used to cure or provide remedies for a mental disorder. A proper professional homeopath will be able to guide you to get the best results for your child and reduce all the problems of the respective disorder, if not outright cure it.
After a case taking and proper evaluation of the case the homeopath decides which remedy is to be given. Results are quick and the changes in the children are seen fast.
There are other things that you as a parent can do to help your intellectually disabled child like learn everything you can about intellectual disabilities. This way you can guide your child to live a near-normal life successfully. Also get your child involved in group activities like art classes, drawing etc. This will help him learn social skills and become more independent.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
Any alcoholic beverage (generally brandy, wine, beer, bourbon etc) consumed before bedtime is known as a nightcap. You may have a nightcap thinking you’ll get better sleep, but did you know that it’s actually responsible for giving you a disrupted sleep pattern? Nightcaps may gradually start interfering with your sleeping quality, causing you to wake up sooner than you want.
How do nightcaps adversely affect your sleeping pattern?
Recently, a study conducted by the University of Melbourne revealed the fact that alcohol before bedtime can give you the worst sleep ever. In this study, several volunteering adults were neurologically monitored in a lab for a few days. Half of them were asked to have nightcaps, while the other half was instructed to drink non-alcoholic beverages. After completing their observation, the researchers reached the conclusion that though alcohol resulted in greater number of sleeping hours, it left the participants feeling dehydrated and less refreshed in the morning due to fragmented sleep. This is because the sleep induced by nightcaps is very shallow, and having nightcaps regularly can result in less restorative sleep.
The side-effects of nightcaps
Ruining your sleep is not the only ill effect nightcaps have on your health. Nightcaps give rise to other issues too, like snoring and night sweats. Moreover, consuming alcohol before falling asleep also weakens your immune system, damages your memory, speeds up the ageing process, results in nightmares, and causes headaches and insomnia. In fact, regular nightcaps are bad for your heart too.
4 ways how you can prevent alcohol from affecting your sleep pattern
Nonetheless, if you want to include a bit of alcohol to your dinner, it can be done in the correct way to ensure that it doesn’t affect the quality of your sleep. You can follow these simple rules to minimise the ill effects of nightcaps:
1. Stick to the three hour rule: Ensure that you drink alcohol at least 3 hours prior to sleeping.
2. Limit yourself to a fixed amount: Always consume alcoholic beverages in moderation and try to limit yourself to only one or two drinks every day.
3. Sleep early: Try to avoid staying awake longer than you usually do as this adds up to alcohol’s abilities of disturbing your sleep.
4. Increase your water intake: Prevent your body from getting dehydrated by the effect of alcohol by consuming at least one glass of water for each glass of alcohol. Additionally, don’t forget to sip a few glasses of water after waking up in the morning.
Sleep is important for your overall well being, so try not to compromise with it by consuming nightcaps regularly, especially after knowing about its devastating effects.
If you would like to consult with me privately, please click on 'Consult'.
To get more such tips and ask health-related questions from trusted doctors of India, download Lybrate App on your smartphone today. http://lybr.at/app-pz. Enjoy Healthy Living
My cousin is suffering from schizophrenia for 5 years. Doctors suggested sizodon 1 mg 1 tan per day. He is suffering from restlessness and anxiety and weaknesses.
M suffering from mental depression of a sexual. In bed with my wife I can't last more than 10 sec. please help how can I increase the time?
I am 23 year old and feeling stressful since last month about study. The thought which had come in mind about my capability is overcoming me now and due to over stress my neck pains at backside.
I am 25 years old female. On 2012 married a business man. 4 years age difference between us. I have 5 months and 3 weeks old girl baby. Only Breastfeeding. And my baby used to sleep around 1 am and waking up around 9 am. In between 2/3 feeding. Per day I can able to sleep for 5 to 7 hours and it depends. Joint family. Husband is so busy with officials works or enjoying with his friends. He is not ready to listen to me and my problems. If I start speaking about something, he used to mock at me. He makes me cry most of the times. He is not all affected by parenthood. His life has not changed. Till my baby was born, we used roam around, weekly 3 movies, dinner or lunch outside, monthly once out of station etc. Now I'm trapped in house. Not even stepping out from house. He is not allowing me to go to my mom's place or anywhere. But simply used to say like go out somewhere, don't depend me fully. He has no time to talk to me with love. After having the baby I have the following problems Sleepy all the times or insomnia Always feeling tired and weak Back and shoulder pain Crying on silly things Hungry but eating less Poor memory and forgetting things very easily Less concentration Thinking about hurting or beating my baby or husband or myself but not doing it really, especially when crying Mostly thinking about running out from the home. Please advice what should I do now?
I have a fear of haircuts, I can't get one and can't see others having the same. The feeling of water sprayed or someone touching or combing my hair terrifies me. I don't lik people around me saying about the health or personal problem of girls. These things depress me alot and make me go cry. Whensoever some speaks it makes an awkward feeling in my body. What can I do? These things are dominating my life .I don't think if I will ever be able to marry in my life. I can't tell my parents or anyone about this. I have fear .I fear.
I am a 25 female married 10 months ago I am having problem to take up and accept even small things from my in laws and due to that I always have a fight with my husband as well I cant ignore small issues which occur day to day dont know whats the problem with me.I cannot ignore things and start reacting on it so there is a problem in my married life due to the same issue. And I feel of finishing myself please tell me what to do?
I sometimes feel that I am travelling back in time. Sometimes when I am sad and I try to relax, all of a sudden I feel that for a second or two, I was in place I used to visit earlier, e.g. I was in my hostel room with few friends, or at a friends home, opening slippers before getting inside. These things make me nostalgic. anyway, anytime, I remember something, and then I become sad, thinking of what all I have lost. Is it normal and not a serious issue? Right now, I am living with my parents, and not with my husband from 1 year, as he went abroad, I miss him too, may be being alone makes me think these things, and sometimes I even feel that I am worthless, sitting all day, though I am taking much care of my 1 year old baby.
Sometimes everything around you seems to be all blue. Depression can make you feel like you are drowning deep into sadness while everyone else is out on the surface, breathing the air of happiness. It becomes extremely difficult for you to get along with everything going on around you. Depression can wreck you and squeeze every ounce of happiness out of you. But it is extremely important for you to able to deal with it and start living a normal happy life again. It is extremely important for you to get a grip of your depression so that you can move on from it.
Here are a few tips on how you can handle it:
- Believe you are not lonely: It is very easy to think that you are all alone in the pit of depression when you are depressed. But you have to remember that you are not lonely. What usually happens is you isolate yourself thinking that it will be extremely stressful if you have to share your depression with anyone else. You have to get rid of the feeling that apart from you, everyone else is extremely happy; because that is incorrect. Every person has been depressed and disturbed at one point of time. They are happy now because they overcame their depression. That is what you have to learn from them and do. Acknowledge that they are concerned about you.
- Talk: This is very important if you want to let go of your depression. Talk it out with a therapist or a friend or anyone you are comfortable with. Know that they will hear whatever you have to say. All you have to do is speak. Talk about everything which is affecting you; talk about why you are depressed, about what you want to do. Talking will help you get some closure and insight.
- Cry: Cry it out. It is better out than it is inside. Find a private, convenient place and cry your heart out. It will make you feel lighter and will take a burden off your heart.
- Succumb to art: Whether that is painting, writing poetry, or playing music, any kind of art will help you bring your thoughts out. It is believed that depression and creativity usually go hand in hand. Utilize your condition to the fullest and you will be surprised to get a masterpiece out of it.
You have to remember that being depressed is just a phase. You will eventually be able get the upper hand on it and live a happy life.