Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Oncologists in India. You will find Oncologists with more than 40 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Oncologists online in Mumbai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Maheshwari
Submit a review for Dr. MaheshwariYour feedback matters!
Since few days a nerve bump like structure occur in her hand something like tumour. I'm very upset. What is this? Does cancer can occur in hand also? Please suggest me.
Science has advanced a lot through the ages. Doctors have also succeeded in curing many diseases in this time. But even with one of the most advanced technologies, they still haven’t found a fool proof way to cure cancer. Even out of the many types of cancer, blood cancer is the worst among them. You surely wouldn’t want to get into such a situation. Would you? The best way out of blood cancer is never to get one. To prevent it you can take care of a few things:
- Maintaining proper body weight: Although you can’t do much to prevent cancer, you must ensure that you maintain a healthy body weight. This implied that your BMI should be normal (healthy weight) so that you have a good chance of fighting it. It has been said by many leading institutions worldwide as the best way to prevent cancer. One can maintain proper body weight by making sure they exercise every day for at least 30 minutes and also maintain a well-balanced diet. This would help you maintain a healthy body weight.
- Reduction in the consumption of calorie dense food: Not only because calorie dense foods like cold drinks increase your weight, the sugar mixes with your blood and thus is difficult to transport through the body. Thus they add a lot of impurities to the body and must be avoided for the best interests in your effort to fight cancer. The worst fact about calorie dense foods is that you can easily consume 1000 – 2000 calories long before you can satisfy your hunger. Thus, it also defeats your first preventive measure to avoid cancer.
- Staying away from harmful chemicals like pesticides: You might not know it and be happily spraying pest control sprays everywhere without a proper mask thinking you will make the pests go away. What you don’t know is that those pesticides are harmful for your blood and one should avoid them. To increase the probability of winning against blood cancer, it’s vital to keep this in mind.
- Consulting a doctor from time to time: One should always go and visit a medical practitioner from time to time so that they can maintain proper health. Furthermore, if you see symptoms like fever, frequent infections, night sweating, swollen liver with abdomen pain, enlarged lymph nodes (they are usually painless), then be sure to go to a medical practitioner. Always remember that prevention is better than cure. Thus one should try to prevent blood cancer not cure it. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a General Physician.
My mother 63 years. Her a gland under ear is swollen in last month. First it was 3 cm and now it is. 50 cm. Her sugar thyroid is normal. And there is no symptoms what can I do? Please help.
Renal cell carcinoma is the most common type of kidney cancer and accounts for 90 percent of all kidney cancers. Young children can develop another kind of kidney cancer termed as Wilms’ tumour. According to a study conducted by the World Health Organization (WHO), 20qw revealed that renal cell carcinoma has increased manifold over the past decade. The primary reason is the improvement of imaging techniques and the lack of healthy lifestyle practices by most adults.
Possible Causes of Renal Cell Carcinoma
There is still no conclusive evidence reported by any scientist about the exact cause of renal cell carcinoma. What doctors do know is the fact the introduction of renal cell carcinoma triggers when few cells of the kidney acquire a mutation in the DNA of a person. Mutation communicates the cell to divide and grow uncontrollably. This leads to an accumulation of cells that eventually forms one or multiple tumours and grows beyond the kidney.
Risk Factors For Renal Cell Carcinoma
Some of the common risk factors for renal cell carcinoma include the following:
- Old age
- Persistent smoking
- Exposure to substances such as herbicide, cadmium etc.
- A family history of renal carcinoma
- Inherited syndrome such as Hippel-Lindau disease, tuberous sclerosis complex, Birt-Hogg-Dube syndrome etc.
- An existing case of kidney failure
Typical Symptoms of Renal Cell Carcinoma
Renal cell carcinoma is hard to detect in its early stages. There is no routine test either that can readily diagnose this condition. However, certain symptoms such as blood in urine, fatigue, sudden loss of appetite, fluctuation of fever, pain in the shoulder or back area, sudden weight loss etc. can indicate renal cell carcinoma.
Feasible Treatment Options for Renal Cell Carcinoma
Most renal cell carcinoma is treated with surgery. There are several types of surgeries, and depending on the stage and spread of cancer, one of the types is opted for.
- Nephrectomy- This is a type of surgery that involves removing the entire kidney, some healthy tissues at the border, and other tissues such as adrenal gland, lymph nodes etc. The surgeon might perform an open or laparoscopic nephrectomy.
- Partial nephrectomy– Under this type of surgery, the surgeon removes a tumour and a part of the healthy tissue from the border of the kidney. This form of surgery can be done via a robotic, laparoscopic or open procedure.
- Cryoablation- This is a non-surgical method of treating renal cell carcinoma. Here, a needle is inserted into the kidney using image guidance, ultrasound, and cold gas. It freezes the cancer cells and limits their growth.
Apart from these, some other methods to counter advanced or recurring kidney cancer include targeted therapy, radiation therapy, biological therapy, partial surgery of the kidney, clinical trials etc.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!