Find numerous Somnologists in India from the comfort of your home on Lybrate.com. You will find Somnologists with more than 34 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Somnologists online in Mumbai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Submit a review for Dr. KrishnanYour feedback matters!
I am 54 years male. Since 5 days back I have sleeping disorder problem. Only 3-4 hours sleeping is possible. 1st day - wedding ceremony at night upto 11 o'clock. Pm. 2 day - I have nose blockage due to flue. 3 day - again I have nose blockage due temp. 4 day- no sleep with good heath. 5 day - only 4 hour sleep. Again. Please suggest me the proper solution. Regards.
I'm getting dreams daily and too blabbering heavily in the sleeping. Is there any solution for this?
Daily getting legs and hands pain at even tines nd some times I feel more tensed as if im gng to die and nt getting sleep at nights.
I am having small size lump below left ribs, in chest and in back side of right hand for more than 2 years. Not facing any problem due to these. Wanted to know. Why these are occurring in my body and since one of the lump is on chest. Is there a possibility of complexities in coming future. Please suggest.
I am in depression since 12 years now I am reading and try to adopt may techniques to reduce my depression. Also I am having much sleeping disorder. I always feel sleepy drowsy or feeling ill most of time I just remove this by sleeping does any suggestion for me take over this problem more what I want?
I haven't been able to sleep since 2 days and I am having a severe headache, tried multiple home remedies, but didn't work, what to do? Please help me!
There is a distinct relationship between sleeping disorders and your emotional health, both influence each other. Insomnia is a common sleeping disorder, which is generally caused due to stress and tension. Depression and anxiety also account for insomnia. It has been proven by research that people who experience sleeplessness or cases of insomnia are at a higher risk of depression and similar psychiatric disorders.
Insomnia is an important factor which causes depression and many people affected by it commit suicide. Researchers have found dysfunctional activity in the area of the brain where emotions are processed and regulated, among people with insomnia. Their study explains the mechanism by which insomnia affects and influences emotions in people, which leads to depression and other disorders.
The ways in which insomnia affects your emotions
- There is a clear difference in the brain activities of people with insomnia when compared with normal people who get good sleep. There is usually a great difference between the activities of the amygdala, which are neurons in the temporal lobe of the brain. The amygdala is very important in regulation and processing of emotions.
- Insomnia disrupts the ability of the brain to process negative emotions.
- Neural change and problems with regulating emotions are also caused because of insomnia.
- Insomnia disables the ability of judging or sensing any kind of emotion by looking at the face of a person. It is difficult to judge emotions such as anger and sadness in people suffering from insomnia. This impairment occurs more in women.
- Insomnia and similar sleeping disorders affect our inhibition and disrupt our impulse control mechanism. An insomniac person is likely to develop increased impulsiveness to negative stimulus.
- People suffering from insomnia develop a perception towards negative stuff and perceive most things in a negative way, rather than looking at the bright side which a normal person tends to do. People affected by insomnia are characterized by a negative mood and are pessimists in nature.
- A sleep deprived or insomniac patient shows greater activity around the limbic area of the brain. This is the area where major emotional regulation and processing are undertaken.
- A person suffering from insomnia develops a cranky personality. The patient is in an irritable mood and is triggered by the slightest and pettiest of circumstances. An insomniac patient is also characterized by swinging moods, high temper and general fatigue, which result due to lack of sleep.
Insomnia is a sleeping disorder which directly affects a person's emotions and the processing and regulation of emotions. There is a direct and important link between insomnia and emotional disorders. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a doctor and ask a free question.