Find numerous Somnologists in India from the comfort of your home on Lybrate.com. You will find Somnologists with more than 36 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Somnologists online in Mumbai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Submit a review for Dr. KrishnanYour feedback matters!
I am 25 years old and I have headache. When I go to bed I feel that blood circulation in that part of my head which touches the pillow has stopped and I can not sleep. I have to keep changing the position of my head. Also the temp of my head is usually high and I feel headache even in normal temp. please help.
My age is 20 nd I am taking sleeping pills cause I'm nt able to sleep at night so is it good for health to take?
I have pain in my spine. As per Dr. My L5 is got pressed, hence the pain. What is the remedy for this. I am regularly doing the exercises advised by the doctor but since few days it is again paining. Need advice.
I'm a cricketer and I practice daily. So how much of sleep does my body require top function efficiently after practicing 1.5 hours daily.
Insomnia is the condition of acute sleeplessness, and it takes a heavy toll on your mood, your energy levels, and your ability to concentrate and work during the day. Some of the most common symptoms of the condition are:
- You find it difficult to fall asleep even if you are tired
- Once you wake up in the middle of the night, you cannot get back to sleep
- You cannot work or concentrate on anything during the day
- You stay mostly fatigued, or irritated throughout the day
- You have to depend on pills or alcohol to fall asleep.
- You wake up very early in the morning, no matter how late you sleep
What could be the causes for insomnia?
Insomnia might last just a few days if it is induced by some temporary cause, like stress at your workplace, or any other personal issue you can be facing. However, when the cause is a long rooted one, insomnia might persist for a long time. There can be a mix of many causes for that to happen:
- Psychological stress or other emotional discomforts - Common psychological problems like anxiety, depression, chronic work stress, grief, and also bipolar disorder can be the causes for insomnia.
- Illness or other medical problems - There can be many medical causes or other illnesses at the root of insomnia like allergies, acute asthma, hyperthyroidism, Parkinson's disease, kidney related diseases and cancer as well.
- Medications - There can be many drugs, which might be prescribed by your doctor, but still be responsible for insomnia. These include antidepressants, corticosteroids like thyroid hormone medicines, few blood pressure medications, certain contraceptives and stimulants for ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder).
- Sleep Disorders - Insomnia, though in itself is a sleep disorder, can also be the symptoms for other sleep disorders like sleep apnea, restless leg syndrome, and other disorders related to jet lag or if you are working on a late night shift.
In addition to these causes, some daily lifestyle habits might act as triggers to insomnia, which include:
- Consumption of large amounts of caffeine on a regular basis
- Developing irregular sleep schedules
- Taking your smartphone to bed and ending up spending a lot of time with it in the night
- Eating late in the evening