Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Urologists in India. You will find Urologists with more than 43 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Urologists online in Mumbai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Percutaneous Nephrolithotomy Procedure
Blood In Urine (Hematuria) Treatment
Treatment Of Erectile Dysfunction
Treatment of H.I.V
Hydrocele Treatment (Surgical)
Kidney Transplant Treatment
Treatment Of Male Sexual Problems
Minimally Invasive Urology Surgery
Open Prostatectomy Surgery
Reconstructive Surgery Procedures
Reconstructive Urology Surgery
Transurethral Incision Of The Prostate (Tuip) Proc
Transurethral Resection Of The Prostate (Turp) Pro
Urinary Incontinence (Ui) Treatment
Urology Minimally Invasive Surgery
Submit a review for Dr. Ketan DesaiYour feedback matters!
An overactive bladder is marked by problems with one’s bladder storage system that results in sudden urge to urinate. Involuntary and leakage of urine is also a possibility in such a case.
The problem of an overactive bladder arises when the muscles of the bladder contract involuntarily. The conditions contributing to overactive bladder are:
- Excessive production of urine due to diabetes, poor kidney function or excessive fluid intake
- Medications that increase urine production by the bladder
- Acute infections in the urinary tract
- Abnormalities in the bladder, for instance, bladder stones or tumors
- Factors hindering bladder outflow such as constipation, enlarged prostate or earlier treatments for incontinence (loss of bladder control)
- Excessive intake of alcohol or caffeine
- Decline in one’s cognitive abilities due to factors such as ageing, thus making it hard for the bladder to comprehend the signals it gets from the brain
- Incomplete emptying of the bladder, leaving only a little storage space for the urine
- Neurological disorders
How it can be treated?
- Behavioral interventions help to manage overactive bladder effectively and without side-effects. They include-
- Exercises to strengthen one’s urinary sphincter and pelvic floor muscles
- Maintaining a healthy weight
- Regulating fluid consumption
- Planning a schedule for trips to the toilet
- Employing a catheter to empty the bladder entirely
- Medications to alleviate the symptoms of incontinence and overactive bladder are-
- Oxybutynin gel
- Oxybutynin as a skin patch
- Injecting small doses of Botox (Botulinum toxin), protein-bacteria, directly into the bladder tissues to partially paralyze the bladder muscles, thus delaying urination.
- Surgery to magnify bladder capacity
However, it is a must that you seek the guidance of a urologist on immediate basis.