Lybrate.com has top trusted Bariatricians from across India. You will find Bariatricians with more than 41 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Bariatricians online in Mumbai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Submit a review for Dr. Deoanand NathYour feedback matters!
How to loose weight naturally. Suggest me diet. Simple workouts etc. I am 5'5" wt: 96kgs: age: 20years.
I am getting fat. What kind of diet chart should I maintain? is there any proper exercise to reduce it?
Obesity is a serious problem that is on an exponential rise. The complications associated with the obesity are not only restricted to physical discomfort. There are many serious health complications and medical conditions such as Diabetes, Hypertension, Hypercholesterolemia, Heart ailments and Infertility, that obesity might trigger. What is even more disturbing is the fact that India is considered to be the third largest obese country in the world. Not only this, there has been a steady increase in the percentage of teenagers and young adults suffering from obesity. Thus, it is important that every individual, irrespective of their age and sex should try and maintain a healthy body weight.
For an effective weight loss, one should first find out the underlying factor responsible for the obesity. While most people link obesity to unhealthy lifestyle habits and poor diet, the problem may also be an outcome of thyroid problems, hormonal imbalance, or diabetes, to name a few. While there may be many effective diet plans and weight loss programs to ensure fruitful results, surgery may come in handy when all other weight loss plans and programs end on a disappointing note.
When is surgery recommended?
The weight loss surgeries are often advised under the following situations
● People who put on weight in spite of having a low BMI (due to some medical conditions).
● People suffering from Morbid Obesity (in morbid obesity, the BMI of a person is found to be higher than 40).
● The other weight loss programs do not produce the desired results.
Most of the weight loss surgeries (such as the Laparoscopic Gastric Banding, Gastric Bypass, Laparoscopic Malabsorptive surgery) involve shrinking the size of the stomach by dividing it into two halves, a smaller upper portion, and a larger lower half. This is done to reduce the intake of food, thereby ensuring an effective weight loss.
- In some other procedures, a part of the stomach may be surgically removed to reduce the size of the stomach (Sleeve Gastrectomy)
- In Laparoscopic Malabsorption surgery, in addition to shrinking the size of the stomach, a large part of the intestine is bypassed so that there is minimal absorption of calories (from the intestine).
The different surgeries though impressive come with certain demerits.
- Shrinking the size of the stomach may limit the intake of food, but there will also be less absorption of nutrients, which is essential for the body. As a result, a person may develop anemia or suffer from calcium deficiency disorders (such as osteoporosis).
- Undergoing a surgery increases the risk of an infection at the site of the incision as well as blood loss (the laparoscopic surgeries which involve a small incision are an exception).
- The surgeries alone cannot help in maintaining an ideal body weight. You have to lead a disciplined life. Eat a proper and balanced diet, follow a healthy lifestyle, and indulge in exercise and physical activities. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a General Surgeon.